Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Days T & 1 & 2

Paul Sherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

This is what I am driving. Look out for me on the road once the storms start firing, Paul. Chevy Cobalt Sport* License DNN 306 :D

post-1731-1209391754_thumb.jpg

*this car is not sporty at all... Aemrican cars suck :p

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Nice car Gorky - shame you can't take it down the dirt tracks!

Here's our environmentally friendly beast - with leather seats, ready for any terrain any conditions:

post-1052-1209392752_thumb.jpgpost-1052-1209392842_thumb.jpg

Going to start sorting out our equipment now - get barons loaded up and activated, then off out around 11am to do some shopping at the Wal-Mart etc.

Wednesday looks potentially good for some non-severe upslope over NW KS and Ern CO then a shift east on Thurs for a potential severe risk over Ern OK/KS.

Hope you enjoy your storms in the UK. Felt quite chilly last night under clear skies - just like home.

Posted

did you arrive there today...and what time is it there..Like the motor..its a shame its going to get ruinned with golf ball hail :D

Edited by dogs32

Posted

It is a shame that it's not really suited to off-road but that was never my plan anyway. I had enough off-road fun last year for a lifetime thanks to Paul!

It's 9:40am here Dogs, just preparing to go out and find some more equipment really. Looking for a prepaid phone/sim card, and a GPS receiver. I looked all over yesterday for a GPS receiver and had no luck. Most stores had no idea what I was talking about. Walmart sent me to RadioShack, who sent me to Circuit city who advised me to go back to Walmart. They did actually have them in Walmart after al but only as part of Streets and Trips which I don't need. I only want to be able to overlay my position on GRLevel3/spotter network :p They then told be to go to BestBuy but that was closed when I got there, so I'll make another attempt this morning :D

Edited by Gorky

Posted

Here's our environmentally friendly beast - with leather seats, ready for any terrain any conditions:

Going to start sorting out our equipment now - get barons loaded up and activated, then off out around 11am to do some shopping at the Wal-Mart etc.

Wednesday looks potentially good for some non-severe upslope over NW KS and Ern CO then a shift east on Thurs for a potential severe risk over Ern OK/KS.

Hope you enjoy your storms in the UK. Felt quite chilly last night under clear skies - just like home.

Awesome that Nick :D

That would be Ideal for me for the school run. I could certainly annoy a few people around here with that Beast

My favourite colour too. :p

Posted

OK, we are just about to hit the road now, then later on once we pick up the two remaining chasers we set off for Wichita Falls for tonight.

I thought I would quickly post some photos from yesterday's meal, DFW Airport and one of the two Chevy chase vehicles - the one Paul Sherman is drooling over, and which of course he is driving! Just 60 miles on the clock, leather interior. A real boys' toy!!

More to come later...

post-2999-1209398762_thumb.jpg post-2999-1209398779_thumb.jpg post-2999-1209398794_thumb.jpg post-2999-1209398810_thumb.jpg post-2999-1209398827_thumb.jpg post-2999-1209398842_thumb.jpg post-2999-1209398860_thumb.jpg post-2999-1209398873_thumb.jpg

Posted

any chance of saying whos who from left to right...I think I know who Nick is and Paul...and Micheal Fish

Edited by dogs32

Posted

How I wish I was there with you, we got our first thunder in Lincoln yesterday but it was weak and dying here, your storms will knock the crap out of anything here! Enjoy all the fine food!

Posted
any chance of saying whos who from left to right...I think I know who Nick is and Paul...and Micheal Fish

Yes that would be good please, although I think I recognise the man in the pink shirt from the tv :) .

All the best to you all and it's going to be great seeing the progress day by day :) .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Look closely at the reflections on the bonnet, whose that flexing their muscles? :)

Is there still a film crew making a documentary out of this? I heard it mentioned a while ao but i've seen nothing since.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!
Well have now got up and fully refreshed and ready to go, into USA Time now and aclimatised.

8 of the team are here with just 2 to pick up later today (They should be on there way by now) :)

Had an amazing meal last night in the Cool River Cafe (And yes this place is as good as Cow Camp) and it tasted better because it was Free :):)

Michael Fish certainly had a great Birthday from the moment he got Upgraded with Champagne on his BA Flight to actually finding Bitter (YES BITTER :) ) In the USA!!

Today is set-up day with the Barons and getting other techie stuff done in the cars, Radios are fitted already, we had a great result with the cars and got even bigger ones than the Durango's with more power points, mine has 60 miles on the clock and has that luveeerly new smell (Poor Poor Car!)

After picking up the last 2 guys later at DFW We will be heading Northwards for Monday Night, nothing much more to report at the moment but looks like Wednesday onwards for Storm Action.

Peter will probably upload some pics of the meal last night in a little while.

Regards

Paul S & Team

Hi Paul, sounds like everything is going to plan. I'm thoroughly looking forward to joining you guys in 24 days time! :)

:) That is certainly a beast Nick. Is that the vehicle I'll be in? It certainly looks capable of dealing with some of the toughest terrain. Look forward to experiencing the USA weather/climate and stormchasing.

As you say Nick, wednesday is looking potentially very good NW KS and Ern CO. Will be following your every move.

OK, we are just about to hit the road now, then later on once we pick up the two remaining chasers we set off for Wichita Falls for tonight.

I thought I would quickly post some photos from yesterday's meal, DFW Airport and one of the two Chevy chase vehicles - the one Paul Sherman is drooling over, and which of course he is driving! Just 60 miles on the clock, leather interior. A real boys' toy!!

More to come later...

post-2999-1209398762_thumb.jpg post-2999-1209398779_thumb.jpg post-2999-1209398794_thumb.jpg post-2999-1209398810_thumb.jpg post-2999-1209398827_thumb.jpg post-2999-1209398842_thumb.jpg post-2999-1209398860_thumb.jpg post-2999-1209398873_thumb.jpg

Many thanks for the recent photos Blackie. It's a real shame I had to cancel my place on Tour1, would have been brilliant to have been in the picture with the lengendary Micheal Fish. I'm pleased Micheal found his 'Bitter'. :)

I can't wait to be out Stateside chasing :) Should be a great and memorable experience.

Have a great time NW chasers :)

Keep us up-to-date with your movements Gorky, good luck with your chase.

Mammatus

Posted

A storm will gather strength over the Plains Thursday then turn northeastward toward the upper Great Lakes by the end of the week. Moderate to heavy rain will fall north of the storm track Thursday and Friday with some snow in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Severe thunderstorms will break out later Thursday from Iowa to northeastern Texas as Gulf moisture begins to feed into the intensifying storm. The severe weather will spread into the Ohio and Tennessee valleys on Friday.

Hi chaser's this from Accuweather, hope it's of some use-posted today about 1400 US time.

Have fun :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9
Just a little something I did for Paul and the gang to whet their appetites :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ-GluJqVb8

How did I know that road was going to end at the Big Texan ??

Tom

Edited by Tom Lynch

Posted

Good to hear you are now present hopefully the other two are now in the US of A as well also good photos there from everyone, is cool to see Micheal fish out there with you guys as well must be a little surreal given most of you guys would have grown up watching him on the beeb!

Another nice day tommorow for you guys then into weather starts to become more unstable from then onwards!

Edited by kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

More to come later...

Ian , nice to see you are geting some drinking practice in. We will definitely have a few Buds from 22nd May.. Do I need to upgrade to a 4 wheel drive ??

Tom Lynch

Posted

looks like a great meal, you all look very relaxed (some of you more than others) have a great time, the car looks lovely now but i wouldnt like to see it in a few weeks :) take care an stay safe :)

Posted

Hi all - this is the storm chase team, broadcasting live from Higway 287 en route from DFW to Decatur for tonight's stop. We picked up Stuart (Stu_London) and Martyn (bristolwx) from the airport, so the Fellowship is now complete! :)

Not certain where we will head tomorrow. We will see how the systems develop.

For those who asked about the dinner group, from the left they are:

Ian Pickering (Anyweather)

Paul Sherman

Ian Cameron

John Hanrahan (Nicorette)

Paul Michaelwaite (iethe big cheese :) )

Michael Fish

Nick Finnis (Nick F)

Plus out host for dinner, Margaret, from Irving Convention and Visitors Bureau and her husband

I am taking the picture, so am obviously not in it!

Hopefully over the next few days we can upload some live chase info and photos, and maybe a track of our journey on Google Earth - if I can work out how to use the new GPS tracker I bought last week.

Signing off for tonight.

Cheers everyone

Posted

Well, I've just got in from a day in Palo Duro Canyon State Park, and what an amazing experience. I have hundreds of photos from today and the place was just so beautiful, you could not take a bad shot. I went hiking down some trails across narrow ridges with 100 feet+ falls on either side to be rewarded with even more stunning views. I will likely need quite some time to prepare a post/thread with the images and video but to put it bluntly, if the team are in the Amarillo area on a down day, you have to go. Even if you pay the $4 entry fee and just drive the 30 mins or so it takes to get around the park, it's the best $4 you'll ever spend. I hate walking anywhere but the views made it absolutely and kept me going, even if I did probably sweat out several litres of water on one 3.5 mile trail.

As it is, I enjoyed myself so much, I'm tempted to go back tomorrow morning before heading north in the afternoon for Wednesday's storms.

Posted

Hmm.. Just looking at the reports from VA, and it makes me wish I'd jumped on a plane over there :) Looks like they had a couple of major tornadoes there today including one heading into downtown Norfolk. Some of these were apparantly large wedge tornadoes.

Posted
Well we are not staying the night in Decatur - apparently the town is full. So we have ended up in Denton at a Best Western. We shall shortly be eating at Cracker Barrel !

I have a few photos of the cars and chase team which I expect to post later but right now I need food to soak up the cans of Bud Light I have had :)

the cracker barrell did have a couple of crackers in Holly and Whitney, these Texans really know about customer service, eh Ian.

Posted

Heading North on the I35 Tomorrow so a nice leisurely drive in the late morning.

Big ticks against the Techie Side with the Barons working like a dream (Full Blues :) ) Sprint DataCard (Tinternet on the Move) also allowing us GRLevel3 data, and the GPS Is working fantastic as well, all we need now are the Storms, but the team are ready and focused.

Had a nice meal in the Crackerbarrel Restaurant tonight and just had a few Buds in the Rooms!

Regards

Paul S

Posted

Hi all have just retiered to our rooms after a few beers ( and sambuca shots ) with Stewart and the boys we are currently in denton ready for a travel day tomorrow, all our kit and systems are loaded so we are ready for anything the plains can throw at us!

Tom it will be good to have you out here in a couple of weeks though you will have to catch up on the 32 oz beers :D

thank to you all for the nice words of encouragment I hope you all can keep up with the chase as it looks like it will there will be good conditions for the best part of this week and we can post pictures of storm structere rather than just us stuffing our faces though I seem to enjoy that part as well!!

Ian