Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have you ever seen an Iridium Flare?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Just wondering if anyone on this forum has observed an iridium flare , i've observed a few and there very cool to observe :)

They are a bunch of satellites , i think there's around 60 in orbit which flare up when the sun hits there solar panels , they can be seen in the sky if you know where to look.

Here's a definition of an iridum flare

The Iridium communication satellites have a peculiar shape with three polished door-sized antennas, 120 degrees apart and at 40 degree angles with the main bus. The forward mirror faces the direction in which the satellite is travelling. Occasionally an antenna will directly reflect sunlight down to the Earth, creating a predictable and quickly moving illuminated spot of about 10 km diameter. To an observer this looks like an extremely bright flare in the sky with a duration of a couple of seconds.Some of the flares are so bright (some get up to -8 magnitude, but rarely they can get to a brilliant -9.5) (that's VERY bright :lol: ) that they can be seen at daytime, but they are most impressive at night.

Edited by Calum

Posted
Just wondering if anyone on this forum has observed an iridium flare , i've observed a few and there very cool to observe :D

They are a bunch of satellites , i think there's around 60 in orbit which flare up when the sun hits there solar panels , they can be seen in the sky if you know where to look.

Here's a definition of an iridum flare

The Iridium communication satellites have a peculiar shape with three polished door-sized antennas, 120 degrees apart and at 40 degree angles with the main bus. The forward mirror faces the direction in which the satellite is travelling. Occasionally an antenna will directly reflect sunlight down to the Earth, creating a predictable and quickly moving illuminated spot of about 10 km diameter. To an observer this looks like an extremely bright flare in the sky with a duration of a couple of seconds.Some of the flares are so bright (some get up to -8 magnitude, but rarely they can get to a brilliant -9.5) (that's VERY bright :D ) that they can be seen at daytime, but they are most impressive at night.

this site it will tell you what time and where you can see them.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

I have seen one of those satellites flare up then go dull again, I thought it was just being turned around or something. Had no idea it was a regular occurrence. Thanks Calum :D

http://www.heavens-above.com/iridium.asp?D...lt=0&tz=CET

Just checked this, I am only a few Km's from the flightpath of those in May, will keep an eye out at the times it says on the above site, thanks Barry :D

Russ

You won't see any of those, Russell since the location is not

specified and they are therefore calculated for a point in

the gulf of Guinea at lat=0°, long=0°.

You must set your latitude and longitude (50°.6846N, 1°.5092W),

and your preferred time zone in order to get predictions for

your own observing site.

Posted

Ive seen one or two of these by accident, however whenever I purposely try and see them in never successful, despite looking in the area 2/3 minutes before and after they are due (and yes my co-ordinated ASL, Times are right.)

Once you see one you'll never forget how bright they can get.

Posted

I saw one only last Monday night/Tuesday morning. I reckon at about mag -4, maybe mag -5.

Wasn't even looking skyward until something bright caught my eye to my south east.

Makes you wonder though why those not in the know think that we may be being invaded. ;)

Phil.

Edited by Phil UK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

well phil i can confirm which Iridium you observed , it was Iridium 72 launched from California, USA on May 17th , 1998

it flared up at about 11.38pm on monday night at your location :)

Posted

Oh - Sky and Telescope; I subscribe.

Jnr and I did see the ISS go over a few times back in the winter, and once even managed to track it with the telescope. You could make out it was something big, but not very clearly. Still quite exciting.

Posted

Yeah I have seen a few over west Dorset last year. All in the space of a few weeks, but I must admit I have never seen any since.