Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Days 4 to 7 - Discussion

Nick F

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Our team have booked into the super8 at Independence goin out

to get some lightning shots.. Great first storm they've said.. :D

Posted
This has given Paul a rude awakening!

Walmart Mate.. Cheap bog rolls!! :D:D

Nice to hear your all safe. That cell that is headin for you was looking pretty on the KFOR feed.. Enjoy!! :)

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Yep, our hotel room faces south toward the oncoming supercell headed this way, great avil crawlers to our north on the Fredonia supercell which we were chasing earlier, the storm area to the north seems to have shifted very little over the last few hours - due to updrafts back-building on it. Some fantastic pics of the storms likely to be coming later.

Posted

Have fun with it Nick.. Gonna grab some shut eye.. Stay Safe Guys.. :D

Posted

That cell that is heading for Independence has somewhat weakened but should still

produce a great lightning show, would love to stay up to see how it pans out

but eyes are tired gonna have to rest em..!! Looking forward to the pictures

tomorrow,Goodnight all. :D

Posted

0207 8 SW PAWHUSKA OSAGE OK 3659 9644 TORNADO THAT IS TRACKING THROUGH PAWNEE AND OSAGE COUNTIES REMAINS ON THE GROUND AT THIS TIME. CONTINUED REPORTS OF 2 TORNADOES ON THE GROUND AT THE SAME TIME INTERMITT (TSA)

0208 SSW BELTON CASS MO 3882 9453 TWO BRIEF TOUCHDOWNS NEAR INTERSECTION OF 215TH AND PROSPECT (EAX)

Posted
That cell that is heading for Independence has somewhat weakened but should still

produce a great lightning show, would love to stay up to see how it pans out

but eyes are tired gonna have to rest em..!! Looking forward to the pictures

tomorrow,Goodnight all. :D

Yes, the tornado-warned supercell earlier to the SW has completely died as it crosses the KS/OK boder towards where we are - just starting to rain but no lightning for ages. Looked good on the radar near Pawhuska, OK with a hook and reports of a tornado and damage, but the energy seems to have gone now.

Posted
Yes, the tornado-warned supercell earlier to the SW has completely died as it crosses the KS/OK boder towards where we are - just starting to rain but no lightning for ages. Looked good on the radar near Pawhuska, OK with a hook and reports of a tornado and damage, but the energy seems to have gone now.

Whats the outlook for tomorrow? lot more chasing hopefully, not a bad start though! :D

Posted

Main front has activated after 04z and is hammering eastern KS just north of team's overnight location, also front has redeveloped in north central OK. Western Missouri in for a rough night, then tomorrow's tornadic risk seems quite widespread from east-central IA through western IL and extreme eastern MO into w KY, w TN and ne AR. Getting there will be a problem with possible storm damage en route. Looking forward to the reports and pictures on the new thread.

Will update around 16z from 12z model runs.

Posted

Shouldn't be any shortage today I don't think. I'm flying from Minneapolis to Chicago then to New York. Chicago sits on the Northern edge of a huge area with a potential for strong thunderstorms. The area of low pressure bringing this weather is huge and potent:

post-1957-1209708222_thumb.jpg

As I sit here, the storms which have been rumbling away in the distance are now becoming so loud that I am going to have to sit and watch them for a while. Love it!

Good chasing guys!

post-1957-1209708360_thumb.jpg

A very potent looking line of storms down in Oklahoma moving towards Kansas City; I haven't had time to read today's updates, but if you're anywhere in the area I'm sure you'll have been woken up!

Anyway, my storm has passed over here on the northern fringe; not warm enough to produce anything severe, so just a really good light show. I'm currently in Maple Grove on the map below:

post-1957-1209709559_thumb.png

Edited by WhiteFox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Been at work 9am-11pm all this week and this morning is the first time I've had chance to catch up on how the chase is going. Looks like you're all having a great time out there. Here's to many a large supercell (and steak as well not doubt).

Posted

Erm... whats on the agenda today i wonder, moderate opportunity(risk) but happens to be in

pretty difficult chase terrain Illinois down to Louisiana..

Latest radar image.

Posted

The Netweather 2008 choir! :)

Warning! Contains a swear word repeated rather often!!

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! Am in stitches here!! LOLOLOL

Posted

Oh guys I loved every second of that. Hilarious!! I was in tears so funny. Wish I was there! I love singing whilst travelling somewhere. Great fun! :)

Posted

The Netweather Choir .... very big kids! But fantastic, can't stop smiling now. Glad you've had some action and glad to see you're having fun.

Posted

Moderate Risk for Day 5 but from where we are there is no chance of catching the squall line from here in SE Kansas!

Road options are poor and we would only have the squall line and not the discrete cells ahead of it in my favourite place (Mississippi) :) So a bit of travelling and sight seeing.

BTW We have a BIG Announcement for an event on Saturday Night in the Big Texan!

One of our team is going to take on the 72oz Challenge, place your bets and see if you can work out who, we will Video this for you all to see and post up on Youtube!

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

I geuss that's why you got so many Pizzas last night eh? Someone was practicing for the 'big event' :) I think whoever attempts it is mad. I had the 21oz steak and couldn't even finish my chips (Steak Fries as these weirdo's over here call them). When chips go uneaten on my plate, you know it's a large meal.

Posted

BTW We have a BIG Announcement for an event on Saturday Night in the Big Texan!

One of our team is going to take on the 72oz Challenge, place your bets and see if you can work out who, we will Video this for you all to see and post up on Youtube!

Paul S

Hi Paul

I am working on a thread for this, and it will be ready shortly

Brian :)

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?s...p;#entry1247982

Edit A thread has now been created, please let me know if I haven't inlcuded anyone :

Posted

That was so funny thanks for uploading that!

Day 5 risk looks ok but as you say its a real trek to try and catch up with the squall again given the foward speed its had, the atmosphere is still fairly unstable behind the front so get the odd isolated strong storm as well.

As for the 72 Oz steak, all I say is good luck for whoever dares that challenge!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

I am about to head down towards Wichita Falls I think. 5 hour drive on the I44 toll road. I'll have to stock up on quarters at the local Walmart first I think :)

Posted

Hi all, we are currently in Coffeyville getting a bite, town got badly flooded last year, and there are still a few premises such as a hotel that have been gutted by floodwaters. Going to do a bit of sight-seeing on the way to Oklahoma City - where we'll stay tonight. A night out in the city probably likely! We decided not to drive the 400 odd miles to central Arkansas to catch up with the squall line that swept through over our hotel last night, as its too far to drive, instead head slowly to Amarillo for Saturday night.

Posted

Fair enough Gorky this must be a real endurence test with reagrds to driving!

Nick, yeah its a long old drive now and you'd have to get about 50 miles ahead of the squall line to get a decent chance to see chasable supercells and all that seems just a little bit too much effort I agree.

Posted

Seems like a good decision, a number of tornadoes reported north and west of Memphis with some damage and up to six fatalities in one case, but radar loops showed that it would have been pretty difficult to get anywhere near these without being in heavy rain as well as wooded terrain.