Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Day 9 - Report & Pictures

Paul Sherman

Posted

Started the day in Liberal (Ks) with a Target of between Childress and Lubbock. Got to target location as cells fired just South of Lubbock and soon got onto a Tornado warned Cell. Follwed this to the edge of the Caprock Escarpment. Deadly Cg Lightning kept a few of us in the cars, noted a few wall clouds and funnely looking lowerings but nothing was really organising. Headed east just before Sunset and then Sampled the Huge Hail core with embedded rotation to see if the Paintwork could hold out, went into the Core west of Guthrie and took a few Golfball Hits, there was nervous laughter and excitement (Mainly from Michael Fish) and the video the guys put up will show us entering the Hailcore. Only have a few pics today and most of it was driving the 660 miles we clocked up. No tornado again but then again there was not a Tornado anywhere near the Risk zone today.

post-24-1210138989_thumb.jpg - The teams 3rd Supercell of the Tour near to Lubbock

post-24-1210139030_thumb.jpg - Positioning between 2 Severe Storms awaiting the Rotating Supercell

post-24-1210139073_thumb.jpg - Insane Hailcore ahead with 3" Stones Embedded

post-24-1210139104_thumb.jpg - Plains Sunset

Paul Sherman

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Great chase day, experienced my first large hail core punch. Shame the storms over TX wouldn't drop a tornado despite us seeing a few wall clouds develop close to the Cap Rock Escarpment east of Lubbock. Some great lightning shows from the storms east of Lubbock though:

post-1052-1210140260_thumb.jpgpost-1052-1210140307_thumb.jpg

post-1052-1210140346_thumb.jpgpost-1052-1210140374_thumb.jpg

Lightning stills from the video camera:

post-1052-1210140752_thumb.jpgpost-1052-1210140527_thumb.jpg

post-1052-1210140629_thumb.jpgpost-1052-1210140650_thumb.jpg

Very warm and moist SE of the storms we chase with temps in the high 70s at 9pm and dews around 63F.

Will upload a youtube video in the morning when I have had a good sleep after what has been a long day with 600+miles travelled!

Posted

Great pics and reports, I have the strong feeling that tomorrow you will see a tornado. It looks quite active already with a tornado warning for Seminole. I think there is a pretty good risk of tornados redeveloping after 16z when the front approaches OKC to around Mineral Wells. In fact, with you guys being obviously quite knackered, take extra care, this looks like the most active day yet.

Posted

Great chase day, experienced my first large hail core punch. Shame the storms over TX wouldn't drop a tornado despite us seeing a few wall clouds develop close to the Cap Rock Escarpment east of Lubbock. Some great lightning shows from the storms east of Lubbock though:

Really, really good to see the storms are firing for you. :) Very jealous of the core punching! Another time perhaps..........

Long may this continue for you. Looking forward to seeing the vids from this.

Stewart

Posted

Stewart

The Youtube clip is just about to be posted now!

Ian was thinking of you when we went into the Unknown!

Paul S

Posted

Here is some video of the core punch from the lead chase car. Be warned that this clip contains bad language and pretty bad camera work. Sorry, I was excited! :yahoo::)

Posted

HAHAHAHA!!!!! Did you knock on the door and ask for a cuppa?? :):)

Great Clip.. :(

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Nevermind a cuppa..!! a stiff Gin & Tonic,... with ice of course..!! :( .

Loved the clip ,danger, excitement, great stuff..!

Posted

That was awesome!! Were the people whose driveway you pulled into home?

We get the occasional summer storm with hail like that here in Oz, really wish I was over there chasing as well.

Will have to start saving for next year or 2010 as the airfare from Sydney alone is around £1,300 return.

Keep posting the video.

Cheers

Gail

Posted

Excellent clip guys :) .......I had a real good chuckle over that. It sounds as though you had some real good fun there.

I'm glad that isn't my car though, with those hail stones :(

Posted
are the windscreens on chase cars reinforced against hail anyone? surely they must be

Noop, Which is why we bailed out when we did. We already have a crack in the windscreen

Posted

Put some of my camcorder footage of the storms we chased east of Lubbock on Tuesday on a youtube clip, Michael Fish comments over the radio to our car at one point:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0bogRmCFTEo

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Those have to be the best NW storm chase videos yet. Awesome is all I have too say. Loved the core-punching ;)