Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm reports 7th-11th May

TonyH

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Driving home from the Midlands, experienced TL as we approached home from cells that seemed to be triggered over the Valleys/ Brecon Beacons during the late afternoon. Also had large spots of rain, brief torrential downpours and some hail. This occurred between 1815 and 1900. My wife heard thunder about 3 times between 17-1800 while at home too, though not much rain fell at home.

Edited by Tonyh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and crisp

9th May

Started at 20:30 Sky went dark and thunder and lightning here in Bristol, seems to be isolated. Lots of rain and thunder and lightening every few seconds has lasted about an hour, seems very slow moving...

Must be my lucky day :)

Edited by uk_planet

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

A couple of reports potsed in the 7th May thread below refer to tonights activity so perhaps a new thread is needed and maybe some posts need moving.

Can confirm plenty of storm activity going on to the south of my area. Plenty of CG visible as well as sheet lightning. Distant thunder can be heard and would estimate about 20 miles south.

Edited by kar999

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

9th May

Light Thunderstorm/Rain/Hail. Occasional Lightning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

Few strikes of lightning off the Isle of Sheppey in the Thames Estury, seems to be coming in from the East...

Update: Becoming quite a bit more frequent now...

Edited by Lightning James

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

Storm Overhead in Shrewsbury, with frequent lightening,

tracked across town se to nw

rain caused local flooding for a time as drains backed up...

almost an hour after the storm distant flashes could still be seen to the west...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: sun and snow

Very bad thunder storm from 9.30pm-midnight in Brynmawr! My 15 month old little boy is crying because he's scared bless him. Lots of lightning and very loud thunder plus torrential rain. And i'm in work in Hereford and missed it. DOH!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

10th May - Thunderstorm here between 0020 and 0100 approx. Still flashing away to the North West until about 1.40am.

Posted

From what I can remeber we got frequent lightning here in Carmarthenshire from about 11 to 12:30. Few flashes now and again after that. but now I think it's all over.

Quite a big storm last night. Cloud to cloud and cloud to ground lightning right over head, thunder so loud it shock the house. Heavy rain as well. Storm wasn't overhead for too long, about 45 mins. Lightning every 10 seconds or so at the peak.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Hot Summer days

Was a good storm last night, quite a bit of lightning, could see the cloud to cloud lightning, also so something struck a few miles away (no street lighting over there for a few minutes), best storm in ages was watching it move over from the east, thunder was fairly loud at times could even hear it roll around the sky the same way the lightning moved across the sky a few second earlier. Great stuff.

Was a good storm last night, quite a bit of lightning, could see the cloud to cloud lightning, also so something struck a few miles away (no street lighting over there for a few minutes), best storm in ages was watching it move over from the east, thunder was fairly loud at times could even hear it roll around the sky the same way the lightning moved across the sky a few second earlier. Great stuff.

How bad was the rain there, it certainly belted down up here, was anywhere near to you flooded.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Hot Summer days
How bad was the rain there, it certainly belted down up here, was anywhere near to you flooded.

The rain was heavy here too bouncing down from about 1040ish the water in the gutter was like a fast flowing river, that what made me go the the Met Office site to check the radar, and then find out we had a warning for thunderstorms. When the storm was distant the rain drowned out the thunder but as the storm moved closer the rain died down for a bit.

Posted

Only the second thunder of the season here - first was on Tuesday 29th April (forgot to report it then) and then about an hour ago - two very loud claps. Not seen any lightning yet though.

Posted

Storm building up over head now here in milton keynes, hearing thunder, not seen any lightning thus far, it's not storm chase 08 but I'll take what I can get! B)

Edited by craig1uk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Had a thunderstorm last night at around 3.30am, and another one around 6am. The first contained lots of sheet lightning but not much thunder. The roar of the rain is what woke me up. The second storm had less frequent lightning but the thunder was a little louder, and despite the radar showing it to be more beefy than the first storm it dropped less rainfall. Still, a good night weatherwise! B)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Forget to report the excellent storms on Friday night with amazing lightning and torrential rain amounting to 7.5mm in the guage but less thunder than one would expect.

As for last night, I missed most of the activity, both due to me being asleep and becuase the storms never got as far as here but sounds like people in Somerset and Wiltshire got a good showing in the early hours! B)

Posted

Friday saw frequent lightning approach from the SE and south before midnight. By midnight the storm was upon us with lots of bright lightning, rumbles of thunder, and a short torrential downpour with some hail thrown in. Closest lightning 1 mile off. Cheif cells located just off SW and later to the NE too. Only 3.4mm rain but frequent lightning lasted moving off to the north and NW until after 0130 (Saturday 10th).

Mum and Dad at their caravan in Pembrokeshire reported a brief downpour with TL around 0245 yesterday (10th May) that woke them up. I checked the radar (NW) to find that small cells had indeed occurred close to the coast near them at around 3am.

Relatives in Coventry did not get any storms Friday night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Can confirm some lightning around last night very late but no rain or thunder

Posted

Loud thunder just to my NE from an expanding cell that was nothing an hour ago.