Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Day 13 Discussion

Paul Sherman

Posted
we have just arrived at stuttgart and we are calling it a day we shall be staying at the super 8 and recharge our batterys after a hard days chasing

Ian, Nick and Paul

Ok......Well done everyone....Great work.

Thanks for all the updates :shok:

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
Seeing frequent lightning on Matt Granthams streaming cam

http://www.severestudios.com/livechase

:shok:

Very dangerous and extremely bright lightning, think it would be very scary

but excillerating too..!! Gonna be to dark for spotting tornadoes safely think

most chasers will be finding shelter for the night now.

Posted

Unfortunately 3 lives have been reported lost and numerous injuries in Newton County Missouri.

Posted

I'm gathering that there was a larger death and injury toll (don't be surprised if it's well into double digits) in the major tornado that struck the northeast corner of OK and the southwest corner of Missouri. There are also some reports of injuries from other storms so far, and as I was saying much earlier, this system is not going to wind down quickly this evening but could go on to produce several more dangerous tornados tonight (it is 9 pm now CDT).

Wondering if Gorky decided to go for the southwest AR tornado near De Queen, I guess we will hear from him soon.

Posted

Yes Roger another 5 fatalities have been confirmed from Ottawa Oklahoma.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

I was in Benton earlier, just south of the cell the lads and I chased and the hook formed on top of me!. Sirens went off at about the same time and I took cover. Tried catching up, with it, but ran into the same river problems, so I ditched it and headed down to southern AR. The cells here have lost their tor warning ebfore reaching me, and it is so misty, that lightning shoots won't be possible. An itneresting day, from which I'll learn a lot... (Never chase central Arkansas!, always check for rivers before choosing a 'general direction' to head in. I don't think I could have positioned much more precise today given that that cell is still producing in MS, but next time, I'll pick 25 miles ahead of the point where it is TOR warned :D

I've taken a grand total of 0 pictures today also.... :shok: Not a great loss unless you reallly like trees.

ooh.. both have been Tor warned again. Time to go play. What could possibly go wrong with night time tornadoes in AR....

post-1731-1210474980_thumb.png

Edited by Gorky

Posted

We spent the day in Oklahoma due to not wanting to go to far as we're packing up to move back home on Monday. Left Norman at 2.15 and headed down towards Ada. Saw the first signs of development there at about 4, then moved ahead of the line and waited in Allen as we watched two cells explode as they passed overhead. Followed them along OK-1 and came across a tornado about 15 miles west of McAlester. It was on the ground for about 15 minutes before decaying in the region of McAlester. Very strange event, no wall cloud, no obvious rotation, no structure to the cell (it was still just a mound of cumulus), so it was a pleasent surprise! Tried to follow the cells on to the east but gave up as the roads got trickier.

All in all a good chase! Will try and post some photos in the reports thread later.

Posted

Paul S has informed me that they're safe (if not a little shaken from their scary ordeal) and well in Stuggart Arkansas, they were literally bout a mile and a half away from the tornado as it crossed the road in front of them and smashed into Stuggart Paul estimates an EF2-EF3.. it first formed above their heads , absolutley incredible rotation ( video tomorrow when they get internet connection) also very close lightning strike..!! :shok: The tornado that passed through Stuggart hit the southern end of the town, Paul has told me that its total chaos, all the emergency services are on the scene with scores of media trucks coming in. Over the road to the motel Josh Wurman and Sean Casey the TIV2 and the whole circus are there. Paul. Nick and Ian are gonna have a walk to the southern end of town to see the damage for themselves,(if the authorities let em through). Very sad day, death toll up to 10 now from this evening storms and sure to rise.

Paul will hopefully get internet access tomorrow when they move location and update us all.

PS

Paul asked how you were Nathan i told him you were safe and well.

Link to news story http://www.todaysthv.com/weather/story.aspx?storyid=65531

Edited by NL

Posted

I was watching the radar (the close-in magnified image) at the moment that the team was probably passing through Humphrey AR en route to Stuttgart. In the 15-20 minutes before this, the cell had passed over a smaller town called England (no kidding) to the west, not on the road they were driving, and a very small place called Coy. The radar imagery at that point looked tornadic and I imagine there might have been serious damage through those places as well. For a few minutes the cell then lifted slightly, it appeared, then it looked like it nailed Stuttgart with a secondary rotation showing up that may have crossed the highway just in front of them. The various local TV stations don't have much more to say about it than the one report that NL forwarded above, although I've gathered that there is some concern for people missing and homes and businesses substantially damaged, the radar signature looked rather wide like a large F-3 at least.

From video I just saw on CNN, the damage in the storms further north near the OK-KS-MO borders is horrific and widespread, indicative of a strong F3 or even F4 tornado going through a number of small towns. There is also video of significant damage around McAlester which is where Hilton was, I gathered. Other places reporting damage include various towns in southwest Arkansas and northeast Texas, and across northern MS.

This low is now intensifying :shok: over Missouri, fortunately it is after midnight so dynamic factors are decreasing, but the gradient is getting very tight, looking for an eruption of very strong storms across IL-IN, KY, TN and AL late tonight, and the possibility of more deadly storms there, followed by very strong northerly winds setting in across Missouri at present.

It will be what Texans call a blue norther tomorrow (Sunday).

Posted

I want to start by saying how sad I am to hear of the tremendous loss of life during today’s storms. (19 and counting)

I also want to say that I will NEVER ever chase down in South East Oklahoma again – it is impossible!

Started the Day from OKC where our initial target was Fort Smith, Arkansas. Observed three high based Cells to the North and West of Fort Smith before deciding to target new cell development that has formed on advancing dryline in Eastern Oklahoma – Sadly our intercept route took us through the dreaded Quachtia Forest and mountains of SE OK. Was able to position on the middle supercell perfectly – trouble is a damm mountain was in the was of the notch – not to worry decided to get the “tail end” supercell – near to Broken bow. 15mph curvy roads and racing forward motion of the supercell meant that we had to core punch North of Broken Bow in order to get a view of the meso – too late! Rain curtains moving North West across the road told us that the meso was danger close and a wind shift to the South West confirmed that the meso had crossed the road just to our south – after proceeding with caution the top half of a tornado was observed briefly (5 seconds) as it came out of the rain not 300 meters to our South on the left of the road. This was tornado confirmed as we shortly crossed a damage track (downed power poles / broken trees on Highway 259, 4 miles north of Broken bow.

Due to the roads / trees / mountains this was a frustrating chase which I wont bother with again in the future.

I got 0 pictures and 0 video of the tornado but it was observed by many who were with me.

Edited by Stu

Posted

Well, The stuttgart cell is the one which formed over me. How you guys ever kept up with it I don't know..... I didn't take the I30 up towards Little Rock and took a back road instead. Despite there being a tornado warning and the sirens going off, I got stuck behind a convoy of old people in rickety cars doing 30mph no a 65 road. All but one pulled into a church, as though there was nothing going on at all, and the last pulled into an outdoor bbq restaurant! That's the last place I'd thing of going when sirens are firing! Even doing 70mph after that, the storms were doing 50-60 and goign in a straight line unlike me. I got to play with the Tor warned cells here in Eldorado. They again lost their warnings just before reaching town, but the winds were pretty high. As I pulled into a petrol station, a bunch of dirt from road construction was blasted across the forecourt, one of the big electronic road works signs crashed down next to the car, and all the bins flew across the courtyard. (stayed upright somehow!). The rain was torrential though. It had been showing 72.5dbz reflectivity and that was all rain with no hail, and it dumped most of it on Eldorado as it weakened. I was actually following the river through the streets to find the lowest point in town at one point jsut for some inane fun. The river led me to a motel for the night so it accomplished something :shok:

On a more serious note, it is pretty sad reading abut what' happened elsewhere. BBC has the deathtoll at 16 already and I've heard of much higher than 6 kiled in Picher which is what they report. Whilst things are definately on the downturn at the moment, I would not be surprised to see thigns ramp up before daybreak with storms continuous until tomorrow evening. The could be some pretty nasty nocturnal tornados tonight.

Posted
I want to start by saying how sad I am to hear of the tremendous loss of life during today’s storms. (19 and counting)

I also want to say that I will NEVER ever chase down in South East Oklahoma again – it is impossible!

Started the Day from OKC where our initial target was Fort Smith, Arkansas. Observed three high based Cells to the North and West of Fort Smith before deciding to target new cell development that has formed on advancing dryline in Eastern Oklahoma – Sadly our intercept route took us through the dreaded Quachtia Forest and mountains of SE OK. Was able to position on the middle supercell perfectly – trouble is a damm mountain was in the was of the notch – not to worry decided to get the “tail end” supercell – near to Broken bow. 15mph curvy roads and racing forward motion of the supercell meant that we had to core punch North of Broken Bow in order to get a view of the meso – too late! Rain curtains moving North West across the road told us that the meso was danger close and a wind shift to the South West confirmed that the meso had crossed the road just to our south – after proceeding with caution the top half of a tornado was observed briefly (5 seconds) as it came out of the rain not 300 meters to our South on the left of the road. This was tornado confirmed as we shortly crossed a damage track (downed power poles / broken trees on Highway 259, 4 miles north of Broken bow.

Due to the roads / trees / mountains this was a frustrating chase which I wont bother with again in the future.

I got 0 pictures and 0 video of the tornado but it was observed by many who were with me.

I agree with the quality of chasing... Unless you are keen on either taking pictures of trees, or running over cute animals, avoid Arkansas at all costs. At one point, I turned down a road to have 3 cute things about 1.5 foot high stood in the middle of the road. As I braked, 2 of them scarpered off the road, whilst the other just started bounding merrily down the middle of the road trying to outrun my car. It would not get off the road for about 2 minutes. about 15 sedoncds after it cleared off, a deer leaped across in front of the car, followed by a second a couple of minutes after that. I followed that with a veritable plague of frogs and a pair of Armadillos also just sat in the middle of the road waiting to be made into roadkill....

I'd like to just point out that I didn't hit any of these animals, nor did I even aim for them :shok: My roadkill tally for this trip stands at only 1 so far (a small bird) + bug genocide. Pretty good going given how much I have narrowly missed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9
Paul S Posting on Ians Account

Hi Tom

Tuesday and Wednesday look active around the SE Ok & NE Texas area before Wednesday moves accross Arkansas again. Then a lull before more active start of next week.

Paul S

Thanks Paul

Having lived in Pine Bluff Arkansas for 18 months I do not envy chasers there. Hills, trees , bendy winding roads. Not just trees flipping lots of trees. I would bet money on Arkansas being added to the states where Petechasethestorm won't want to visit again.

Tom

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

wow just caught up with this lot, must be the best day yet re tornado's :D

The loss of life will happen anyway, all we can do is commiserate, its natures way.

You guys out there stay safe, thats the main thing.

Oh yes, I am very pleased to hear that some American emergency vehicles are...Range Rovers :shok::doh:

Russ

Posted

Well looks like a very busy night with regards to tornado chasing but sadly lives have been lost. From the reports I've heard last night there would appear to be at least one EF4 that touched down as it compeltely took homes away and just left the foundations for a couple of houses, usually EF5 type damage but the houses were still under construction so EF3-4 is probably more realistic for that tornado.

Anyway cool to see the team finally got a good tornado even if the area was poor with regards to chasing, I suppose you get whatever you can really.

Posted

Pleased to hear you are all safe.. I'm looking forward to seeing the video.. B)

The loss of life is always a big downer on a days chasing, whether it be virtual or in the field..

Posted

Have just caught up as well and very glad everyone is safe and well. what a night.

very sad to here about the deaths though!

cant wait for the videos

Posted
Loss of life in those towns is sad for sure, but it is sods law that chase weather gets more interesting as soon as I get back home. Sirens, bears cage, the lot!! I think I was jinxed LOL - now the jinx has gone away you will get twisters for sure. I am jealous as fook - but well done guys and glad you are safe.

Sorry I haven't kept up with the storm chase but when did you go out to the states? when did you return? and did you see anything?

It would be just my luck to go out there and see nothing and yet all the action starts on my return.

Posted

Hi Guys, Sounds mental out there. I'm just back now 1 day late. Been up since Friday morning. Its Sunday afternoon now.

Delighted to see you are getting some really interesting stuff now. I'll catch up on the virtual chase as soon as I get some well deserved sleep.

Stay safe!

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Hi everyone, on the road atm from Stuttgart to Little Rock. Stayed in a Super 8 in the north side of Stuttgart, but the south side of town got hit by a tornado just before we arrived, we went into town looking for food - the power was out downtown and emergency services blocked the road south so we turned back. We drove down towards south side of town again about 1/2 hour ago to see the damage but the road south was still blocked by police so didn't get to see the big damage, emergency services were pouring into town all night - so must have been some major damage!

We have some great video clip of yesterday's supercell near Little Rock, with a very close lightning strike on the power lines above our stationary car, the same storm we followed east to Stuttgart which dropped a tornado over the town, unfortunately it was dark when it dropped and we didn't get lose enough or enough lightning to get video of it.

Posted

Same with us, poor chase territory with high trees either side of the roads around Little Rock where we waited for the storms to develop. We were positioned about 15 miles south of Little Rock when the supercell cell developed over our heads with the Bear's Cage throwing out +ve Cgs very close by, we also saw a rotatiing spin up above the trees which must have been a tornado forming, we didn't hang around to find out - and as we moved off out the way, emergency services were racing to the same area where we saw a possible tornado form. If it were over the Plains we would have seen it all unfold, but trees ruined it unfortunately. Had we had better east road options to follow the supercell, instead of having to go south to Pine Bluff to cross the Arkansas River, then we could have got to Stuggart in time for when it dropped another tornado.

SE Oklahoma sounds like a nightmare to chase with hills and forests. Once we crossed east of the Arkansas River towards Stuttgart, the landscape suddenly changed to flat plains and big views like around Lubbock, if we'd known it was SE of Little Rock, we'd have postioned ourselves there instaed of west of the River in the trees and hills!

Posted

Just catching up with the latest, really glad to hear the team are safe, very sad about the loss of life though..

Stay safe guys

Posted

Dramatic stuff there Nick <_< ...Sounds more like something from out of a movie scene.

Glad you are all safe though, which is the main thing, and I think you made a wise decision getting out of there as you did.

Looking forward to seeing the footage that you captured

Regards

Brian :)

Posted

As promised, video clips of the supercell we were on yesterday in a new thread:

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?s...p;#entry1252545