Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North Sea Fog ( Haar)

Posted
Yes, Cotton in the Elms near Tamworth in Derbyshire is an oft-cited claimant to the title of furthest in the UK from the sea, being 70 miles away from the Wash.

Nottingham is 55 miles from Boston. You must have been on the whacky stuff, Botty :(

still the south pole is even further away!

Posted
Haar bloody haar, i hate the stuff, cold wet and damn right miserable, oh how i hate living on the

north sea coast...... :(

Looks like you may have to get used to it aswell, its obvious the cloud is much more stubborn to break up today and i can't see any signs of the sun poking through anytime soon.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
Looks like you may have to get used to it aswell, its obvious the cloud is much more stubborn to break up today and i can't see any signs of the sun poking through anytime soon.

And according to the GFS we're in for easterly/north influence for at least another 10 days...!!

Temps under this blanket of misery are a measley 10.6ºC... I am now officially miserable... :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

This mornings cloud has pretty much burned off now though it is still cool in the NE breeze at between 12 and 13C

Re 2007. I thought that Eastern Scotland had a great deal of haar and cloud in June. Temperatures for the month were below average in Eastern Scotland and places like Leuchars had record or almost record low levels of sunshine for the month. Even Edinburgh recorded only 62 hours of sunshine for June 2007 [From Trevor Harley's site]. Hopefully this June will not turn out the same [except for the big thunderstorm later in the month].

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
Yes, Cotton in the Elms near Tamworth in Derbyshire is an oft-cited claimant to the title of furthest in the UK from the sea, being 70 miles away from the Wash.

Nottingham is 55 miles from Boston. You must have been on the whacky stuff, Botty :(

Tamworths in Staffordshire.

EDIT: Coton in the Elms, Derbyshire, 6 miles from Tamworth!

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

The damn stuff is currently thick enough to give a touch of drizzle on the wind and with the temperature at a depressed 12.1c it feels more like winter at present. I would say the chances of any clearance today are next to nil.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Yes, it looks rather more June 2007-esque at the moment, with low cloud rather more stubborn across north-east England, extending well into County Durham. Yesterday Marsden reached only 12C while Newton Aycliffe got over 20C, but today it's 10-12C across the whole region.

In June 2007, there were indeed some exceptional low sunshine totals in eastern Scotland. The Tyne & Wear/Durham area did a little better, with 100-120 hours generally, but totals were widely around 30-40 hours for the first half and it was ironically the unsettled second half that prevented the month from being a record-breaker. Still, it was the dullest since either 1997 or 1987.

The most annoying instances of 'haar', other than when they obscure exciting weather that's going on overhead, IMO are the ones that go on for over a week. For instance May 1997 for most was a splendidly varied month with sunshine well above average, but around the 20th there was a week of low cloud on the Tyne & Wear coast. September 1998 had no sun at all from the 22nd onwards for the same reason, and late March 2005 was similar.

Posted
The damn stuff is currently thick enough to give a touch of drizzle on the wind and with the temperature at a depressed 12.1c it feels more like winter at present. I would say the chances of any clearance today are next to nil.

It's been proper raining here all morning Mike! 150m visibility earlier, although now, finally at lunchtime the low cloud has lifted to about 200m. But grey is the word of the day - and a stunning 11ºC to go with it!

Posted

I've just come back from Pruhoe near Hexham, and it's cold and grey in Prudhoe (although I imagine it always is) and over the Pennines, visibility was down to 100yds frequently. Here in Appleby, it's a lovely warm spring day.

Fa la la.

Posted

Haar haar haar...

Overcast here with temps only 11C. Think we can say that there is more of a widespread mesoscale feature over this part of the world; extending its way well inland.

Posted
Haar haar haar...

Overcast here with temps only 11C. Think we can say that there is more of a widespread mesoscale feature over this part of the world; extending its way well inland.

Its trying to break up now and is definately brighter but as the song goes "Breaking up is hard to do"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Looks like the fog has been replaced with that misty low cloud stuff- often happens when a fairly pronounced east wind picks up and the cloud base rises.

Posted
Looks like the fog has been replaced with that misty low cloud stuff- often happens when a fairly pronounced east wind picks up and the cloud base rises.

Cloud turned more stratuscumulus which is probably why the sun rarely broken through although now typically it has breaked up more but it looks like its just a brief respite. To be honest i want the Atlantic to come back ASAP.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

Very chilly here today, not a glimpse of blue sky.

It's very frustrating to know that the majority of the country is bathed in spring sunshine and because of the wind direction it is grey and gloomy in the North East.

It does look like we may have an improvement later in the week, even though it wont be anywhere near as warm as it was at the weekend.

Posted

Well I have to say after reading his thread. I feel very sorry for you guys.....I feel almost guilty infact, given that

I have experienced another mostly sunny day, and once again broken the 20c barrier...I'm not too far away either,

as the crow flies.

To make things worse still, it appears from the model output, that these Easterlies maybe a regular visitor to our

shores for the forseeable. :doh:

Posted

At around 5.30pm the stratocumulus and high level mist returned with a vengence here, taking the temperature right back down with it. We're now at 12.1C and with quite a strong wind it feels quite cold at the moment!

Fortunately as we are a little further south the sun did break through for a short time. The temperature managed to creep up to 17.1C, but it still felt cool in the wind. You tend to find that the amount of sea fret/haar and cloud you recieve is proportional to the length of sea track the airmass has to cover. So in Norfolk its cooler than inland but sunny, here it is rather cloudy with fog during the night and further north its cold, cloudy and miserable.

Edited by reef

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Max temp managed to creep up to 13.5c today at 1633hrs , temp currently 10.5c

looks like these easterlies are here for some time yet,

Just think if we had these easterlies in January and february ,

nigel