Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Earthquake Activity Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Another large quake in the Santa Cruz island region

6.4 magnitude.

As others have said, it seems to be very active around that fault line, you kind of feel another 8+ is imminent

Posted

Another large quake in the Samoa island region.

6.2 magnitude. The ground must feel like it is shaking all the time they have had so many quakes.

http://www.iris.edu/seismon/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Plate tectonics, lithospheric process and volcanology in general were always my favourite subject in school, along with languages (primarily as we didnt do meteorology/weather & climate in any real degree).

This question might sound silly, and there may be something I am overlooking, but is there any real reason why you seldom here of tsunami panic in Australia? Judging by the activity in the area recently, I would have thought Australia is at real risk from tsunamis.

Judging by the amount of tectonic activity, it wouldnt surprise me if there is a surge in volcanic activity for that region in the coming months/years also. Pinatubo and Krakatoa appear to suggest that the volcanoes in the region are quite explosive and as such should be kept a very close eye on, especially in view of the heightened seismic activity! (Just checked and it appears Krakatoa erupted both this year and last).

Edited by Harry

Posted

Plate tectonics, lithospheric process and volcanology in general were always my favourite subject in school, along with languages (primarily as we didnt do meteorology/weather & climate in any real degree).

This question might sound silly, and there may be something I am overlooking, but is there any real reason why you seldom here of tsunami panic in Australia? Judging by the activity in the area recently, I would have thought Australia is at real risk from tsunamis.

Judging by the amount of tectonic activity, it wouldnt surprise me if there is a surge in volcanic activity for that region in the coming months/years also. Pinatubo and Krakatoa appear to suggest that the volcanoes in the region are quite explosive and as such should be kept a very close eye on, especially in view of the heightened seismic activity! (Just checked and it appears Krakatoa erupted both this year and last).

It's the son of Krakatoa, It truly is amazing how Krakatoa blew it self apart, and from it's remains the Son of Krakatoa grows. I think he stands 800m's and obviously still growing.

Not sure about Australia and tsunami. Maybe it is purely down to their location in relation to the fault lines.

Posted

Sydney Opera House was evacuated a few months ago because of a tsunami warning.

Posted

A couple of big quakes yesterday & today.

29.15129.906.935.0RYUKYU ISLANDS

36.4770.726.0202.4HINDU KUSH REGION, AFGHANISTAN

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2009nta5.php

A 6+ one, and fairly shallow, off Indonesia. No reports of a tsunami warming, so presumably it didn't merit it.

Posted

http://earthquake.us.../us2009nta5.php

A 6+ one, and fairly shallow, off Indonesia. No reports of a tsunami warming, so presumably it didn't merit it.

6.7 & 18km's

Posted

Big quake in the Fiji island region

7.2 magnitude. Deep deep down though 574.5km's.

http://www.iris.edu/seismon/last30.html

Posted

6.5 magnitude of the coast of chile. 10km's.

Posted
Posted

More activity in the Tonga island region with a 6.8 magnitude quake, followed by a couple of smaller after shocks.

http://www.iris.edu/seismon/last30.html

Posted

I have been noticing an increase in the number of smaller quakes across California over the last month. This article from the LA times confirms my suspicions.

The California-Mexico border area was struck by a swarm of small earthquakes, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

A 3.8 temblor hit south of Calexico about 12:54 a.m., followed by two 3.2 quakes over the next several hours. The last for those quakes hit in Mexico, about 11 miles from Mexicali and 17 miles from Tijuana.

There were also numerous smaller quakes. This same area was hit by a 4.0 quake this month.

No injuries and damage were reported.

According to the USGS, the quake swarm was felt in parts of San Diego and Imperial counties.

-- Shelby Grad

To some extent you would expect some earthquake pick up at this time of year and with the orientation of the jetstream and more low pressure systems trundling across this area. Most of the quakes do not seem that deep so are probably linked to faults that are slowly creeping at deeper levels. This is a good sign that minor shallow stresses are being relieved, but it does mean other stresses may be building.

Posted

To some extent you would expect some earthquake pick up at this time of year and with the orientation of the jetstream and more low pressure systems trundling across this area.

I don't buy into that idea. Small earthquakes showing reverse focal mechanisms occur due to glacial unloading and isostatic compensation, which is indirectly related to previous climate. The dead give away is to look at the focal mechanism or 'beach ball' plots... i'd be fairly certain they would be close to strike slip (like the sticker on crash dummy heads). Weather does not impact on global tectonics, although weathering can weaken fracture zones like the San Andreas Fault which is exposed at the surface, but it doesn't fundamentally change it. I do have previous in this field - I repicked and created the largest set of well constrained UK earthquake focal mechanisms from the past 30 years - 185 in total. If it weren't for the pressures of being a new dad, i've have finished writing some papers by now.

• 1 month later...
Posted

Magnitude 6.5 - OFFSHORE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/nc71338066.php#maps

6.5-Magnitude Earthquake Hits Northern California

Saturday, January 09, 2010

* Print

* ShareThis

A 6.5-magnitude earthquake hit northern California Saturday, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The quake's epicenter was 22 miles west-northwest of Ferndale, Calif.

Ferndale is 265 miles north of San Francisco.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,582690,00.html

Edited by cookie

Posted

Oh hell. It does look as if there hasn't been a tsunami to add to the destruction, thankfully, but the locals will need help to rebuild their communities.

Posted

Oh hell. It does look as if there hasn't been a tsunami to add to the destruction, thankfully, but the locals will need help to rebuild their communities.

not looking good out there

http://news.bbc.co.u...cas/8455629.stm

A 7.0-magnitude quake which hit south of the Haitian capital Port-au-Prince is feared to have killed hundreds of people across the Caribbean country. In the space of a minute, Haiti's worst quake in two centuries wrecked the HQ of the UN mission, the national palace and numerous other buildings.

A "large number" of UN personnel were reported missing by the organisation.

Describing it as a "catastrophe", Haiti's envoy to the US said the cost of the damage could run into billions.

The quake, which struck about 15km (10 miles) south-west of Port-au-Prince, was quickly followed by two strong aftershocks of 5.9 and 5.5 magnitude.

The tremor hit at 1653 (2153 GMT), the US Geological Survey said. Phone lines to the country failed shortly afterwards.

Edited by MAF

Posted

Relativly shallow quake at 10km. Plenty of after shocks around 20 in number.

Posted