Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Day 17 - Reports and Pictures

Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

Some of the lightning can be completely blinding even during the day. This was a massive bolt from the Freedonia chasee at the beginning of the month.... I'll post it here though as it's on topic :p

Frame 1 (Stormy skies)

post-1731-1210893538_thumb.jpg

Frame 2 (BANG! Where's everything gone!)

post-1731-1210893559_thumb.jpg

Frame 3 (Can see the bolt now)

post-1731-1210893603_thumb.jpg

Frame 4 (Fading)

post-1731-1210893627_thumb.jpg

This particular bolt, I could see for the next minute or so everytime I closed my eyes as it was burnt into my retina :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

I presume if one used a zoom lens and were actually looking through the eyepiece during the lightning, such brightness could perhaps be slightly damaging to the eye. Suppose sunglasses may help. Better be safe than sorry, photographers that look at the sunsets and sun rises directly a lot are warned in various literature about the damage.

Anyway thanks for the brilliant pictures and enjoy the rest of your chasing Mr Gorkey :p

Remember to charge the battery's :p

Posted

That's it for chasing for me. I fly back on Saturday with no more chase opportunities in the meantime. Been a great trip though, although it could have been a little more active at times. I was spoiled by last year I think!!!

Posted
That's it for chasing for me. I fly back on Saturday with no more chase opportunities in the meantime. Been a great trip though, although it could have been a little more active at times. I was spoiled by last year I think!!!

Its been a pleasure reading all your reports mate...Thanks so much for that

Have a safe Journey home

Brian :p

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Another youtube of videoclips from the other night of lightning show as we headed into Lampasas, TX:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=T-MsTlkDLAA

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet

Really enjoyed and continuing to enjoy reading all the storm reports and looking at the videos and pictures over the last few weeks, they really re-create the atmosphere and excitement you must feel over there, one of my favourites has to be the gunshot thunder at Little Rock on the 10th May, I must have played that back 20 times, a fantastic job from all of you. :p

Thanks Gorky for your amazing reports and film over the last 3 weeks, bet you will need a holiday after all that hard work when you get back. :p

Continue to stay safe all.

Paul

Posted

Thank you for the reports, looking forward to next year.. Thanks again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Noooooooooooooooo :lol: :) :lol: I want this to go on forever, who is staying? Or is everybody on their way back?

Thanks for the reports, sob...sob...

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
Noooooooooooooooo :lol: :) :lol: I want this to go on forever, who is staying? Or is everybody on their way back?

Just Nathan and Steve, dont know about Stu, but Paul, Nick and Ian are out there for awhile yet,

also another group are out to join the team Tuesday 20th..

Posted

Paul, Ian and I are staying until the 1st of June :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9
Noooooooooooooooo :lol: :cray: :lol: I want this to go on forever, who is staying? Or is everybody on their way back?

All is not lost Rusty I am out here until 30th and will for the net week be chasing with Dave Ewoldt and things are going to pick up midweek. So will keep you posted.

Tom Lynch

Posted

great youtube videos guys.

thanks mate for all you're updates and fantastic images especially you're lightning ones well done mate!

Posted

post-24-1210981813_thumb.jpg

Have hundreds of Lightning Captures to pull off the Vid Camera, but here is one from the start of May, very blurry and this is why I hate taking the captures off Video, the white road does not help at all.

Paul S

Posted
Netweather Storm Chase choir part Deux!

:shok: Grrrrrrr - John I am going to fly to Cork and slap you :)

BTW See the Days 18-23 Thread, anyone thinking about taking that last space on Tuesday would have the best Outbreak of the year if Current Models are to be believed :help: Tempted Johnny Boy!!

Paul S

Posted

You have no idea how tempted I am mate. Been looking at the models aswell and talking to Paul M about it. At this stage it looks like im going to have to do the virtual chase here and get various versions of the storm chase team doing Mamma Mia / aBBa. Where are ye now?

By various versions I'm the next instalment of the Netweather Storm Chase Choir.

You have no idea how tempted I am mate. Been looking at the models aswell and talking to Paul M about it. At this stage it looks like im going to have to do the virtual chase here and get various versions of the storm chase team doing Mamma Mia / aBBa. Where are ye now?

Posted

We are in Dumas (North Texas Panhandle) at the Best Western which has got to be the best Hotel I have ever stayed at whilst Chasing, just had a swim and the Jacuzzi is incredible, our room opens out onto the Pool, Spa, Sauna and Gym area.

We have a chance of NE New Mexico Upslope Thunderstorms tomorrow, the Uk type, a few lightning bolts and sit ourselves in the core to see if we can get some more dents from the hail, the scenery should be stunning.

Paul S

Posted

Sounds good. The Best Western in Stillwater, OK was very nice also. Big pool, 2 restaurants and Karaoke on Thursday nights should guys need to get some practice in before Round 3 of the Netweather choir hits Youtube! :) Also open to haggling on the price which helps as they tend to be a touch expensive :shok: I never thought I'd be taking glass elevators up to my room when on this trip. I'm currently in the Motel6 in Arlington at $35 a night. Its got no carpet, no bath (small shower cubicle), no toiletries to speak of, is right next to the junction of two interstates, next to a railway line, beneath the flight path into DFW airport, and next to a strip club which is apparently notorious for drugs and crime... bargain...... I'm sure I'll get a lot of sleep tonight! :help:

Posted
Any idea what sort of milage you have covered already guys?

Loubs

Not allowed to tell as there will be a Certain Competition regarding Mileage to win a Space on one of the tours next year :)