Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Isle of lewis

Posted

This month has been very very dry for the isle of lewis.

the weather station just down the road from me has had no rain in 7 days and 4 days of no rain for ness northen part of lewis. with the local one get 1.5 mm rain this month and ness getting 2.0mm rain.

last year for whole month of may we received in may - 114 mm

The past 2 days 17 and 16th of may have seen around 30 hours of sunshine!

Is this normal?

A place well know for its bad weather is getting a lot of good weather at the moment!!

http://www.gm7pbb.co.uk/

Its been the same down here Cookie with only 2.1mm of rain this month so far. Last may i recorded 44.5mm of rain. But i remember last April was very dry and sunny like this May. But last years May wasnt so good. Anyway the week ahead looks like we will get some rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Same here - only 1mm recorded this month. Very dry indeed and no sign of any change.

Posted

Out of interest, from where does Lewis get its drinking water? And it's electricity?

Out of interest, from where does Lewis get its drinking water? And it's electricity?

Cookie will be able to answaer this better but the drinking water from where i live is from the island so the Isle Of Lewis will be the same. The electrcity comes from the mainland of Scotland, the wire goes across the sea underground. I know that electricitiy came here in the 1960's.

Posted

I'm well impressed that you guys (presumably) have broadband internet. There's still plenty of people over here in cities stuck on dial-up.

Posted
Some parts of the Western Isles has broadband more of the busy area's though.

Regardless, these fairly remote islands...and they can have broadband!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Yes I concur with that, its bone dry here, dusty everywhere.

Posted
The Western Isles have the high coverage of freshwater to land ratio, a few of the bigger lochs provide drinking water, Cookie can tell you which ones.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=13...p=newsearch.srf

sorry I couldn't tell you haven't lived here long enough!

btw any chance of rain some time soon? the grass is starting to get bare patches!!

Milkmaid who posts on this site has had to start watering her sheep's field!

we where the sunniest in the uk on Friday, sat and Sunday

B)

Posted

Is it normal for the Western Isles to have a lengthy dry spell? Only you can answer that Cookie based on living there but being close to the Atlantic and in spring i would say no.

Been dry here aswell with just a bit of light rain last Saturday i can remember of having any rainfall for the past 2 weeks. I am sure we will pay for all this fune weather later on.

Posted

I've known of quite a few years when big high pressure systems become established favoring NW parts of the UK.

Also very dry here in N Ireland - in fact wildfires becoming a bit of an issue with nearly 900 tackled by the fire service since the start of April B) .

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7411946.stm

Benbecula, on average, receives 1333 hours of sunshine annually while Stornoway receives 1237 hours. This compares with 1400 hours at London (Weather Centre) or 1332 hours at Edinburgh (Botanical Gardens). Thus the Western Isles are as sunny as the main population centres much further south. The annual distribution of sunshine, however, is different, in that the sunniest months in the Western Isles are April to June with July and August relatively dull months, whereas further south the sunnier conditions are maintained into July and August. The sunniest Western Isles day on record in the last 30 years was the 20th June 1977 at Benbecula when 16.9 hours of sunshine were recorded. On average 40 days with more than 9 hours of sunshine may be expected annually; however 80 days of no sunshine would also be expected.

More at http://www.cne-siar.gov.uk/weather.htm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
Is it normal for the Western Isles to have a lengthy dry spell? Only you can answer that Cookie based on living there but being close to the Atlantic and in spring i would say no.

Been dry here aswell with just a bit of light rain last Saturday i can remember of having any rainfall for the past 2 weeks. I am sure we will pay for all this fune weather later on.

The sunniest time of the year in the Western Isles is often in Spring and there have been years when May has been dry or almost dry in places. I think that is because Northern blocking tends to occur more often in Spring leaving this area in Easterly or South Easterly winds. Once the blocking is in place it can hang around for a while giving mainly sunny weather as the area is sheltered by the mainland to the East.

Posted

taken from net weather.

Rainfall totals (mm)

May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Apr Total

141.64 32.07 57.28 140.4 108.54 178.24 248.22 209.67 207.46 216.85 174.68 103.9 1818.95

past 12 months for western isles

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
still no more rain!!

will get images of grass to show at some point!

8 days no rain

Lol a couple of Years ago we had upto about 3 weeks (maybe a bit more) of no rain, our grass was dying, it was very Hot and the ground was cracking.

This month has been very dry also, parts of our garden is very Hard and dry with some cracks.