Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Grow your own fruit and vegetables

jethro

Posted
my strawberries are just starting to grow to a decent size , my tommy plants are huge but not sign of any toms yet though.

I thought your strawberries were a perfect size to start with

Posted

23.gif

Have you been looking again.

Actually has anyone got any tips on how to stop a dog eating your strawberry plants :D

Posted
23.gif

Have you been looking again.

Actually has anyone got any tips on how to stop a dog eating your strawberry plants :D

Do what you would do to a woman...tie him to the kitchen sink *oh man I am dead*

PS - No idea

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
Actually we have ton's of alpine strawberries growing :)

Got any posh restaurants or hotels around your way? Chefs love Alpine Strawberries, pay quite a premium for them...

Edited by jethro

Posted

Well the garden is coming along nicely Jethro :)

The rain from yesterday, followed by todays sunshine, have created the Ideal conditions to clear a

nice little area for growing some veg.

It isn't much I know, but we have made a start, and are determined to see this through.

Hopefully in the near future; I will be able to post some pictures of what we have grown

Brian :)

Posted
Well the garden is coming along nicely Jethro :)

The rain from yesterday, followed by todays sunshine, have created the Ideal conditions to clear a

nice little area for growing some veg.

It isn't much I know, but we have made a start, and are determined to see this through.

Hopefully in the near future; I will be able to post some pictures of what we have grown

Brian :)

Great stuff Brian :)

We've had more than our fair share of rain down here lately, thankfully today was a glorious day; fingers crossed tomorrow is too, I'm scaling a scaffold to remove Virginia Creeper from the walls and roof of a rather large, three storey Manor House - I hate heights!!

I've got to confess to not having much of a veg patch at home, just herbs and salad stuff; seems a little pointless when I grow a huge veg garden for someone else and there's always surplus. Does mean I get to devote more space to my first love; flowers, oodles of them. Here's some pics from last year: http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?showtopic=38296

If you get stuck on anything, give me a shout.

Posted

Hi Jethro :shok:

Some magnificent pictures there, I'm pleased that you showed them to me. There are a number there that I'm

very familiar with, and I love that cottage feel they create.

Thanks for offering to help if I get stuck

Brian.

Posted

Here's my teeny home veg patch....

How's everyone else getting along?

post-6280-1213115815_thumb.jpg

Posted

I am growing some strawberries at the moment, had a nice big nearly ripe one but a bloody magpie has taken a shine to them , any idea's how to stop the little bugger getting them?

Posted
I am growing some strawberries at the moment, had a nice big nearly ripe one but a bloody magpie has taken a shine to them , any idea's how to stop the little bugger getting them?

Bird nets. :lol:

Posted

:lol: should have thought of something like that :lol: cant you just tell I am new to this fruit and veg growing lark, thank you J07 :)

I think my toms are doing well, they are about 3 feet tall now!!

Posted
:D should have thought of something like that :D cant you just tell I am new to this fruit and veg growing lark, thank you J07 :)

I think my toms are doing well, they are about 3 feet tall now!!

Shotgun.

Don't forget to take off side shoots Lou and only let 4 or 5 trusses of toms set.

Posted

:) thank you :D

My last lot of toms, I just let grow. Oh this gardening lark isn't as easy as it is made out to be :)

Posted
Here's my teeny home veg patch....

How's everyone else getting along?

Very pretty garden you have there Jethro; I wish my garden was as neat and tidy looking as what yours is.

The space we have made for our veg plot, I would estimate at around double the size of yours, so

we should have enough growing room to make it worthwhile. :)

Posted
Very pretty garden you have there Jethro; I wish my garden was as neat and tidy looking as what yours is.

The space we have made for our veg plot, I would estimate at around double the size of yours, so

we should have enough growing room to make it worthwhile. :)

Why thank you kind Sir, truth be told, it's not always that tidy, often feels like a busman's holiday and frankly when the sun is shining and it's the weekend, the garden is the last thing on my mind.

I've no idea how big my teeny patch is; it happened by accident really. I get so much from the veg garden I do for someone else that it seemed pointless doing one at home too. Earlier in the year I needed to clear an enormous compost heap which had been there for years, the garden didn't need it but I didn't want to get rid of it either, so I dumped it next to the garage. After pondering for a couple of weeks I thought sod it, spread it and roughly levelled it, it ended up the size you see and about 12-15 inches deep; everything seems to be doing fine so far. Might be tempted to clear the bed behind in the Autumn, grow a bit more veg instead or perhaps a fruit cage, I love Raspberries and Black Currants.

Posted

I spray greenfly on roses with a mild solution of washing up liquid in water, seems to do the trick (only a little bit mind)

Posted

OK, a little issue, any thoughts appreicated.

Toms (in two large pots staked ready for tying), peas and runners.....

Toms growing thick but not gaining much in the way of height (maybe a foot to a foot and a half now)

Peas have started (half a row anyway) and have avoided the birds but whilst they have just started clinging on to my frame they don't appear to be going at any rate.... (4 inches high at best I'd say)

Runners - lots of leaves, shooting out but again no real upward movement - slow progress.

Plantings were Mid-Late May for all of them.

I seem to have things further along this time last year.... anyone got any thoughts or tips?