Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Grow your own fruit and vegetables

jethro

Posted
I am going to hazard a guess at your hedge being Box or Buxus by its formal name. Slow growing but once it gets going it needs clipping often to keep it in shape.

Sounds about right yes. Ah well patience is a virtue lol! Not that it matters with this summer it's far to rotten to be outside.

What a good thread, not been about much due to moving house.

I must admit i am a bit of a green fingers and this house is perfect for it.

Already growing in my garden is.. Grapes, Plums, Eating apples, raseberrys, cherrys, longon berries, blackberries, and probley a lot more which i havent discovered yet.. Also my veg patch is looking good with carrots, running beans, pumpkins, beatroot, radishes.. and more to go in..

To be able to do all this, i feel is good because and i know that what me and my boys eat are home grown and had nothing added to them or chemicals been used on them, over the seasons i hope to increase what i grow.

Also I am involving my two boys (aged 7 & 4 ) in helping in the garden, which will hopefully give them more of a learning experience than being stuck infront of computer or tv..

Good on you girl!! I am very proud of you! You really must take lots of pictures for us. I would love to see your new home and plants. Are you still in Sandown?

Posted
Sounds about right yes. Ah well patience is a virtue lol! Not that it matters with this summer it's far to rotten to be outside.

Good on you girl!! I am very proud of you! You really must take lots of pictures for us. I would love to see your new home and plants. Are you still in Sandown?

Yeah i am proud of myself as well.. :) Not in sandown anymore, i am now more of a country girl than beach bum...hehe.. Also the wildlife is amazing here.. 100's of different birds.. foxes, badgers, bats.. endless wildlife... no doubt i will post some pics up.. :)

Posted

Yesterday I planted in half my patch, 1 tomato plant, 3 sweetcorn and1 corgette. I now need to seed my carrotts. Looks like I have pretty much missed everything else :unknw: There is still a little big of diging where grasses are for my patch but the weather has been horrid on my days off work and nice when I have been working. Yesterday was the first nice day for while on one of my days off.

Posted
Yesterday I planted in half my patch, 1 tomato plant, 3 sweetcorn and1 corgette. I now need to seed my carrotts. Looks like I have pretty much missed everything else :doh: There is still a little big of diging where grasses are for my patch but the weather has been horrid on my days off work and nice when I have been working. Yesterday was the first nice day for while on one of my days off.

Hiya

Sounds like you have been a right busy bee in your garden, just like me in mine..

First of all do you have a greenhouse, cause you could have a big of lee way of planting times if you do.. if not.. if you quick you could plant some late runner beans.. but you would have cover the with some glass or clingflim, until the come through, this will give a sort of green house effect. and bring them on a bit quicker..

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/vegtips.html this site is very good for timing of planeting, sowing, etc.. for furture veg seasons..

I know have peppers plants, ready to be planeted in the garden.. and first lot of runner beans are just coming up.. gonna try some late parships should be ready by christmas.. hehe..

Also have discoverd a cherry tree in the garden..

think at this rate i gonna be making hundreds of pies and jams come end of summer...

Posted

No green house :-( I have cloche thingy if that counts. I lost over half of the stuff I planted as they got eaten by things when they were in the cloche. Ah parsnips that sounds interesting. I don't normally bother once the packet says its too late. Like some stuff that should have been out in May I just never got chance to do :-( Like brocalli and cabbage.

I've brought some of that copper slug tape from ebay yesterday so will be plastering that round everywhere lol. Anyone who uses it can you put it in the veg patch to keep things off me veggies? I will drag out some piccie and pop up on my old thread later.

Posted

This information is good for pests in the garden. might help you for next season..

http://www.durbanvale.com/Environmental/He...ZA/Default.aspx

Also anything try and use rainwater as much as possibe when

watering your vegtables, sometimes water from the tap can be a little hard on the plants.

Also re using water is better.. my water butts should be all fitted next week.. just ashame they wasnt

already done could have collected quite a bit today.. oh well...

Some more veg growing links.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/vegetables/a-z.asp

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/proje...CFQ9oQgodVxNytA

Hope these help :doh: and look forward to seeing the photos, i will also try and get some up this week..

Posted
Oh no! How has it caught it?

Ahhh, sorry chiono, I didnt see this.

The cucumber mosaic virus is spread by greenfly and aphids, spraying as soon as they are seen is a must.

Any plants with it must be lifted and destroyed and prevent cross infection to any healthy plant by washing hands and tools afterwards.

There might be varieties which are resistant to the virus, so maybe check the seed packets or plant label next year.

Edited by SnowBear

Posted
Give them a hair cut Lou.

Well since doing that my tommys are appearing by the dozen, loads of them, only problem is I am an impatient bugger and they are taking way too long to turn red :doh: How long does that normally take?

Posted

:doh:

actually can anyone tell me the difference between damsons and plums? I have what I thought was a plum tree in the garden, this year it has fruit, but they don't look big enough for plums.... Philip behave.

:doh:

actually can anyone tell me the difference between damsons and plums? I have what I thought was a plum tree in the garden, this year it has fruit, but they don't look big enough for plums.... Philip behave.

You said plums are like wallnuts.....................you seen my purple parsnip?

Posted

actually did you know you can get purple carrots!! when I was looking for seeds for the garden I came across them, not sure I could eat purple carrots, tis not right I tell ya, but I bet they look pretty.

Posted

Growing purple carrots this year...not overly impressed with them, on the smallish side and no where near as good as the main crop of carrots we are doing. Ok as "fancies" in a salad I guess.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

The original carrots were purple, over the years, the colour has been bred out of them; agree, they're not impressive.

Posted
The original carrots were purple, over the years, the colour has been bred out of them; agree, they're not impressive.

The Dutch turned them Orange, no word of a lie !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

How's this season gone for everyone then; successes, failures?

Had a good crop of broad & runner beans, loads of carrots, beetroot, salad stuff.

Didn't get round to netting the sprouts and cabbages, one of those jobs I swore I'd get round to doing but it never happened; look at the consequences of my slackness.... Not content with eating the leaves, they've moved onto the forming baby sprouts too.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Cabbage White caterpillar in all it's glory.

post-6280-1220105994_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1220106009_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1220106023_thumb.jpg