Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

"The sky's on fire"

Posted

"The sky's on fire" that is how many people described the night of 25th of January 1938 across Europe as they gazed to the heavens to watch a magnificent display of the aurora borealis. It was probably the finest display of the northern lights during the first half of the 20th century and possibly the whole of the 20th century.

The Roman emperor Tiberius in 34AD was tricked into thinking the port of Ostia was on fire and he sent troops to deal with it. Infact, he was witnessing a red aurora. In January 1938, thousands were once again tricked into thinking there was a great fire in the distance and called firefighters to tackle the blaze when infact they were witnessing one of the most loveliest of natural phenomenon. Those who saw it never forgot those awe inspiring ghostly lights including a young Patrick Moore.

From the Times of January 1938.

aurora38.jpg

aurora38a.jpg

aurora38b.jpg

aurora38c.jpg

aurora38d.jpg

Posted

'Superstitious Peasants' - I know a few of them!

What a good read Mr D :D

Posted

Hmm, was there a disaster shortly after this? Let me think, January 1938 ... no, nothing that should have concerned people in Hungary, or anywhere around Europe ... superstitious peasants indeed. :shok:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
Hmm, was there a disaster shortly after this? Let me think, January 1938 ... no, nothing that should have concerned people in Hungary, or anywhere around Europe ... superstitious peasants indeed. :shok:

Tee Hee!

• 1 month later...
Posted

Some more info on this auroral display

It was seen as far south as Madeira.

From about 6.55pm to 8.15pm, the aurora reached its maximum intensity as seen from the UK, where the northern sky right up to the zenith from west to east was a bright red with rays giving the impression of a fire in the distance.

Another peak of activity occurred around midnight, when the aurora appeared to flickered.

At its brightest, the aurora was said to have even casted faint shadows.

Drawings of the aurora

aurora38yz.jpg

aurorazz.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

You know, I am ashamed to say that I have never seen the northern lights, which is pretty surprising really, living so far north! Would love to see them though.