Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Day 32 (Thurs 29th May) - HIGH RISK Discussion

Nick F

Posted

looks like team Remora have got caught in a bit of nasty hail. Pulled in behind a silo / mill thingi right now. Looks mental.

Edited by Christ I don't know

Posted

Andy again,

We're now heing back out East on the I80, after running the surging outflow of the 2nd cell, and we expect to see a few softball sized dings in the roof. The sky is as green as anybody in the car has ever seen to our North (What we just blasted through) and Barons is now showing 6 areas of rotation on the cell behind us.

Ian is up in front car with Dave/Lorraine/Gareth/Chris

Andy

Posted

The radar close-up appears to place Kearney at risk of a strong tornado, that would be the cell following the team referred to in (Andy on) Ian's post above ... should stay very active until 06z in eastern Nebraska and western Iowa by that time.

Edited by Roger J Smith

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Can see why the barons is such an essential bit of kit, driving totally

blind into those storms would be insane..!! Not that ya perfectly sane

driving into them even with the barons.!!

Posted

TornadoWarning - 29/2345Z

WWUS53 KGID 292323

SVSGID

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HASTINGS NE

623 PM CDT THU MAY 29 2008

NEC001-079-292345-

O.CON.KGID.TO.W.0026.000000T0000Z-080529T2345Z

HALL NE-ADAMS NE-

623 PM CDT THU MAY 29 2008

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 645 PM CDT FOR NORTHERN

ADAMS AND HALL COUNTIES...

GRAND ISLAND IS IN THE PATH OF A TORNADO. TAKE COVER IMMEDIATELY.

AT 618 PM CDT...TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTERS REPORTED A TORNADO AT

HUSKER HIGHWAY AND HIGHWAY 11 IN WESTERN HALL COUNTY. THIS TORNADO

WAS LOCATED NEAR WOOD RIVER...OR 12 MILES WEST OF GRAND

ISLAND...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 38 MPH.

OTHER LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO ALDA

AND DONIPHAN.

THIS INCLUDES INTERSTATE 80 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 293 AND 316.

Posted

Yes NL, the one thing I would keep in mind here, heading into Grand Island which is a fairly large city near the I-80, it is the afternoon rush hour, with a second storm coming in behind what is bound to be the nasty effects of the first storm, you could get caught in heavy traffic between exits from the interstate, and then you'd be screwed even with the Baron system, so it would probably be wise to exit at the first sign of traffic slowing to a north-south highway, head south a ways then east and keep the storm in sight. Otherwise, you never know, you could be stuck on the interstate with a tornado coming right for you, and there's just no place to go but the ditch at that point.

As of 2331z radar, the trailing storm appears to be gaining intensity and heading due east at about 50-60 mph, will cross the I-80 near Grand Island and the southern end will be as much as 5 miles south of the city by 00z (23 mins).

Would strongly suggest having a north-south exit / escape route available with this storm closing in very fast.

Posted

Wow look here at Cory Hartman's cam

http://www.severestudios.com/livechase

Just gone offline now

Edited by *Stormforce~beka*

Posted

That second storm surged forward and seemed to merge with the first tornado warned cell, let's hope they had a safe encounter with it ... all re-organizing now, and racing eastwards.

Posted

New tornado warning.

TornadoWarning - 30/0100Z

WFUS53 KGID 300034

TORGID

NEC143-185-300100-

O.NEW.KGID.TO.W.0034.080530T0035Z-080530T0100Z

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HASTINGS NE

735 PM CDT THU MAY 29 2008

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN HASTINGS HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

SOUTHEASTERN POLK COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL NEBRASKA

EASTERN YORK COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL NEBRASKA

THIS INCLUDES THE CITY OF YORK.

* UNTIL 800 PM CDT

* AT 733 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO NEAR YORK...

MOVING EAST AT 40 MPH.

* THE TORNADO WILL BE NEAR...

WACO BY 745 PM CDT

GRESHAM BY 750 PM CDT

THIS INCLUDES INTERSTATE 80 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 352 AND 365.

Posted

This is Paul Sherman

We have just been hit by a Tornado just off I80, Massive destruction to a Gas station, Daves Van is severly damaged, power lines down, the garage had everyone inside but we did not make it and had to ride it out in the Carpark, debris, pieces of house, wooden fences and the canopy have hit our car, this was at least F2 Damage, all taking stock at the moment, news crews everywhere. The footage is incredible.

Paul Sherman

Posted

Jeez hope eveyones ok......

Posted

The tornado that hit the team is still ongoing TornadoWarning - 30/0130Z

WWUS53 KOAX 300050

SVSOAX

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OMAHA/VALLEY NEBRASKA

750 PM CDT THU MAY 29 2008

NEC023-159-300130-

O.CON.KOAX.TO.W.0008.000000T0000Z-080530T0130Z

BUTLER NE-SEWARD NE-

750 PM CDT THU MAY 29 2008

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 830 PM CDT FOR SEWARD

AND BUTLER COUNTIES...

AT 747 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR CONTINUED TO

INDICATE A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WITH STRONG ROTATION AND A POSSIBLE

TORNADO. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR UTICA...OR 12 MILES NORTHEAST

OF YORK...MOVING EAST AT 48 MPH.

LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...GOEHNER...SURPRISE...TAMORA...RISING

CITY...STAPLEHURST...ULYSSES...MILFORD...SEWARD...GARRISON...BEE...

DAVID CITY...PLEASANT DALE...GARLAND...DWIGHT...BRAINARD...BRUNO AND

ABIE.

THE WARNED AREA INCLUDES INTERSTATE 80 IN NEBRASKA BETWEEN MILE

MARKERS 366 AND 382.

IN ADDITION TO THE TORNADO...THIS STORM IS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING

GOLFBALL SIZE HAIL AND DESTRUCTIVE STRAIGHT LINE WINDS IN EXCESS OF

70 MPH.

HEAVY RAINFALL MAY OBSCURE THIS TORNADO. TAKE COVER NOW! IF YOU WAIT

TO SEE OR HEAR IT COMING...IT MAY BE TOO LATE TO GET TO A SAFE PLACE.

Posted

Major damage reports coming in from the I-80 between Grand Island and York as the storm went through there about 40 mins ago now, refers to eight large transport trucks blown over, debris along highway, two gas stations damaged.

Glad to see/hear evidence that the team is still on line.

(edit) sorry, posted this before reading all previous posts -- still, main thing is that people are okay.

Edited by Roger J Smith

Posted
This is Paul Sherman

We have just been hit by a Tornado just off I80, Massive destruction to a Gas station, Daves Van is severly damaged, power lines down, the garage had everyone inside but we did not make it and had to ride it out in the Carpark, debris, pieces of house, wooden fences and the canopy have hit our car, this was at least F2 Damage, all taking stock at the moment, news crews everywhere. The footage is incredible.

Paul Sherman

Hope you guys are all ok. I know the feeling of being hit by a tornado all to well. NOT a nice experience. Best of luck to you all.

Posted
This is Paul Sherman

Paul Sherman

:o bloody hell! hope you guys are all ok, and not too shaken!

Well you can't say its been an uneventful trip thats for sure.

Take care guys.

Posted

I really cannot describe this day, have been filmed for ABC News talking about riding out that Tornado as well. When we headed east out of Elm Creek a Cone Tornado was visible to our South East, we then got hit by 100Mph+ RFD Winds, it just blew a whole line of Railway trucks that had coal over in front of us, went east through Kearney avoiding trees in the road and disintegrated Gas stations, then the moment I NEVER Want to live again, just off I80 3 Miles South of Aurora we put some petrol in the car, my tyre pressure was low so I put some air in, when I looked up a Huge Mesocyclone was just behind the garage, unbeknown to me whilst filling up the Gas station had put everyone into a "Cooler" area as a Tornado was headed straight at us, I got back into the car but the Rain and hail put my visibility at the side of the Gas Station at zero, me Nick and Andy then rode out 10 minutes of hell as the car almost blew over, wood and bits of House were hitting us, hailstones and the unnerving part was the wind shift, the Gas station canopy was peeling off in front of us, a Winnebago RV About 10 feet away toppled onto a Car next to us, GR Level3 showed 160mph winds and a hook echo just to our North, a strong F2/F3 Went straight over us, headed east to Lincoln and a Sign just got ripped out of the ground and sliced through the front of the car.

I need a Drink!

Paul S

Posted
I really cannot describe this day, have been filmed for ABC News talking about riding out that Tornado as well. When we headed east out of Elm Creek a Cone Tornado was visible to our South East, we then got hit by 100Mph+ RFD Winds, it just blew a whole line of Railway trucks that had coal over in front of us, went east through Kearney avoiding trees in the road and disintegrated Gas stations, then the moment I NEVER Want to live again, just off I80 3 Miles South of Aurora we put some petrol in the car, my tyre pressure was low so I put some air in, when I looked up a Huge Mesocyclone was just behind the garage, unbeknown to me whilst filling up the Gas station had put everyone into a "Cooler" area as a Tornado was headed straight at us, I got back into the car but the Rain and hail put my visibility at the side of the Gas Station at zero, me Nick and Andy then rode out 10 minutes of hell as the car almost blew over, wood and bits of House were hitting us, hailstones and the unnerving part was the wind shift, the Gas station canopy was peeling off in front of us, a Winnebago RV About 10 feet away toppled onto a Car next to us, GR Level3 showed 160mph winds and a hook echo just to our North, a strong F2/F3 Went straight over us, headed east to Lincoln and a Sign just got ripped out of the ground and sliced through the front of the car.

I need a Drink!

Paul S

I just seen this :o That is unbelievably scary stuff...I'm glad everyone of the team has escaped from this unharmed

and it's only the car that is damaged.

You're not going to forget this in a hurry, and you certainly deserve that drink mate.

Take care Guys

Brian. :)

Posted

Okay

Dave has just received some more info from a Contact at the NWS On what hit us earlier.

When we pulled into the Gas station South of Aurora the storm to our South west was just an Ordinary Supercell with not much to look at on radar, Doug Kiesling at NWS Has said he has never seen such rapid intensification of a Storm from looking Outflowish to gaining a Huge Mesocyclone and dropping a notable Tornado, the path has been confirmed at 1/4 Mile North of us or 400 yards, we were in 120-140mph Winds which destroyed the Gas station around us and within its circulation.

This just shows that in a 5 minute radar scan things can get serious out here, we are not proud of what we went though but just thankfull that the Tornado which could be either EF2/EF3 Chose to miss us by yards!

We are all now eating pizza, and having a few buds, Poor old Ian was thinking his last meal was going to be a Salad but their Back window blew through the 100mph rain saturated their Van.

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

I need a Drink!

Paul S

Well I have one Paul. i will open it up for you. Here!

Posted

Yes I was watching the live radar at the presumed time of this storm, forgot to make a note of that but about 0015-0030z I believe, the sequence of events that I saw was as follows with approximate times:

2335z -- Large tornadic cell approaching Grand Island, team chasing on I-80, cell accelerating. A second tornado warned cell passing just north of Kearny (about 30 miles west of the team at that point) also accelerating, Warnings stated 46 mph forward motion but was looking closer to 60 to me.

2350z -- Grand Island tor warned cell expanding rapidly east, following cell appearing somewhat weaker on radar but bow echoing across I-80 at this point to the west of where the team was, or where they had been at 2335z.

0000z -- Forward cell now streaking east with vortices north of I-80, following cell merging with it near Grand Island and bow echo or line squall appearance on radar.

0015z -- The first cell rapidly being absorbed into activity well to the east around York, while the second cell was redeveloping, presumably the energy fueling the first cell had been overshot and was then being picked up by this second cell, which at this time was moving east at 55-60 mph.

About at this time Paul's account of the mesocyclone completes the sequence of events, and it sounds like they were very close to the southern margin of the vortex, which must have been either strong F3 or possibly F4 (this would be consistent with the other damage reports).

Once again, these times are slightly approximate, although I am pretty sure that I saw the second cell crossing I-80 south of Grand Island right on 00z because I remember changing the TV channel here for a show that starts then.

By the way, the north Kansas storms have been if anything even more violent and have crossed over into far s.e. Nebraska where some large tornado reports are coming in. Well guys, have a restful night and a safe drive back to Dallas, you have had an exceptionally good storm chase and you've ridden out almost the heart of a tornado to boot, not many chasers can say that.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Well, what can I say! I hope I never get that close to a tornado ever again, a very dangerous situation we were in at the Gas station off the I-80 a few miles south of Aurora - and we were extremely lucky not to get hit by the actual tornado - which was estimated F3-4 . We all agree that we were caught by the RFD winds rather than the tornado itself, which destroyed Aurora only a mile or so away, but the straightline RFD winds still reached an estimated 120 mph! Stronger than anything I've experienced.

Before that we got caught in an RFD west of Kearney which knocked off around 90 railroad frieght wagons off the rails along the road we travelled along in front of our eyes, we then saw a cone tornado drop near Kearney as we escaped the RFD. A very exilirating and sometimes frightening day, the ITV guy must have got some great footage, but I hope we never get in a situation like that again - where we had no choice but ride out 120 mph winds from the RFD in our car with debris flying around ... incredible.

Here's the GRLevel3 reflectivity of the hook over Aurora at the time it dropped the tornado and we were under the RFD just tot he south:

post-1052-1212125884_thumb.jpg

Posted

Holy schmoley, hope you had more than a few beers!! Good to hear you're all okay, would imagine you were a bit shook up there for a while.

Posted

Nick is going to upload the Video clip of the Gas station in the Morning or about 3pm your time, it is frightening watching it back, even more frightening is the before and after pictures which I am about to post, the Funnel and Tornado are just behind the Loves Gas Station. Nick will also put a still up of the beautiful Cone Tornado which damaged Kearney earlier in the day at 525pm

post-24-1212128350_thumb.jpg - Eischens Bar Chase Team

post-24-1212128384_thumb.jpg - Huge Meso with Tornado Approaching, we are trapped :o

post-24-1212128436_thumb.jpg - This is what we rode out, with debris flying though the air at 130mph

post-24-1212128485_thumb.jpg - Incredible Damage

post-24-1212128523_thumb.jpg - Just 400 yards North of here Aurora has been severly damaged

post-24-1212128564_thumb.jpg - Police and Emergency Services arrive and Tv Crews do Interviews

Paul Sherman