Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Attracting wildlife to a garden

Posted

You could put a boggy area in your garden with plants that like water and damp. this will attract toads and other wildlife as well as giving water to the birds in the hot summer months.

A good way to tackle slugs is to sink plastic bowls with beer in them in the boarders the slugs will go for that and not your plants. Eggshell around plants is a good one too.

My father has a little too much time on his hands and goes out at night and picks the slugs and snails off his veg patch by hand. It seems to work a treat.

Posted

Beer traps work an absolute treat. Emptying them is unpleasant, but Billy likes to lend a helping hand with beer/slug disposal. Interestingly, it's not the massive slugs which are a problem as they tend to eat decaying leaf litter. It's the little ones which really strip plants.

Posted

so you have drunk snails.

Ozzy is the same, love slugs but prefers the crunch of a snail.... reminds me worming tablets.

A-M no probs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

We have put out some bird seed, peanuts and fruit and it has increased the wildlife in our garden dramatically! We have had 3 different woodpigeons, 2 blackbirds, 2 squirrels, 2 blue tits (who have recently had chicks and they are all over the place), 2 collared doves, a wren, a robin and even a jay but he/she rarely turns up. The smaller birds love our waterfall for a little bath and a drink.

The woodpigeons are by far the most entertaining to watch though: enormous and clumsy! :)

And a quick look out the window and there is one there now!

Edited by nick2702

Posted
:) is that as naughty as it sounds?

Seriously though...I have a fox just started visiting my garden and eating all the peanuts that have fallen off the bird table.

Could anyone tell me what he might prefer to eat? I wondered about tinned pet food but all the neighbourhood cats would wolf it down first.

probably eat the cats if your lucky. :)