Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Last Time 30C plus was recorded

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Can't recall one last summer. So I presume sometime in 2006 probably August.

Posted

Not so...see my post on another thread:

" 4 Jun 2008, 03:07 AM Post #81

Nimbostratus

Group: Members

Member No.: 2,453

QUOTE (Scorcher @ 4 Jun 2008, 01:53 AM)

I read on this site: http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~taharley/2007_weather.htm that 30.1C was reached at Terrington St. Clement in Norfolk on August 5th 2007, although I have no idea whether that is a standard site or not.

Scorcher thanks for that. Having checked with the MO monthly summary you and Mr Harley are correct. Apologies.

Strangely Philip Eden records the mighest maximum as 29.7c at Coningsby and Holbeach whereas the BBC monthly summary (prepared by the MO) states (with irritating sloppiness) "London, Cambridge, Holbeach and Coningsby all recorded temperatures around 30 °C on 5th." and "It was hot, dry and sunny on the 5th with temperatures around 30 °C in London, Cambridge, Holbeach and Coningsby."

regards

ACB"

regards

ACB

Posted

29.9C here on 5 August 2007, does that count?

just doing a quck scan through my COL August 2007 and it shows London on the 5th with 30.3C, which appears to be the highest that month.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Well the last time I recorded a 30C+ temperature was July 25th 2006 as August 2006 only became close with 29.4C on the 6th. I didn't record anything above 28.5C on the 5th but London did reach the 30C mark that day - the only day that summer!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I recorded 30c on 5th August 2007 which was the only time I got anywhere near 30. I just happened to be stuck on a train which had left its heating on that day - lovely.

Posted
I recorded 30c on 5th August 2007 which was the only time I got anywhere near 30. I just happened to be stuck on a train which had left its heating on that day - lovely.

What is it about heating on public transport in this country?? It's ridiculous how it seems to be on all year-round, it's a terrible waste of energy and probably unhealthy too. I have to say it infuriates me!

Posted

The last time we had a temperature above 30C was the 23rd June 2005 when we reached 30.1C. It is a relatively rare event here as sea breezes usually just prevent it. Previous to that was 2003, though 2000, 2001 and 2002 all managed it also.

Posted

Not sure of the exact date we last recorded 30c but it was in July 2006, i was in greece at the time, typical :doh: .

The highest temp i recorded last year was 25.7c, which is the same high i recorded in Sept 2006, hot weather is never long lasting here, and it rarely stays above 25c for more than a couple of days.

Posted

I don't know when the last time Newcastle hit 30 degrees, could anyone enlighten me? I will hazard a guess and say probably July 2006, if not, then I would place a good bet on it being August 2003.

Its quite difficult for Newcastle to see such temperatures, we usually need a southerly/south westerly wind from deep within the tropics or caused by high pressure anchored very close to the country, high pressure anchored over the near continent usually produces a light SE/E wind which tempers conditions considerably.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

last time i reached 30oC was 26th july 06, Aug 06 no 25oC plus days and july last year no 25oC plus days,

today 26.1oC my 2nd warmest day of 2008

Posted
29.9C here on 5 August 2007, does that count?

just doing a quck scan through my COL August 2007 and it shows London on the 5th with 30.3C, which appears to be the highest that month.

John presumably that was taken from the LWC which, of course, is a 'non-standard' site? That would explain why it was omitted from the MO monthly summaries and thus the 30.1c recorded in Norfolk on the same day stands as the 'record' for the entire summer?

regards

ACB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Last time I reached 30C would be in July 2006. To go 2 years without 30C here is quite unusual. We've had 30C most year and one year we might not achieve 30C say, but two years on the bounce would be quite unusual (assuming 2008 doesnt deliver a 30C to here)

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
Just thought I would resurrect this.

Might be an outside chance of 30C on Tuesday?

Bit of a long shot but you never know. GFS going to 25C max can it be -5C out???

Posted
Bit of a long shot but you never know. GFS going to 25C max can it be -5C out???

Normally if GFS says 27C then its 50/50 that 30C gets hit somewhere.

I would say barring no last minute upgrades that we have about a 5-10% chance on Tuesday.

Edited by Stu_London

Posted
I can be pretty much guarantee that it will be recorded over somebody's patio in the south-east.

B)

There are an awful lot suntraps in that region

Posted

Can I just clarify this: am I not right in thinking that there was in fact no official 30C last year - that the only ones recorded were either not official or non-standard? Therefore there has not been a 30C in the UK since 11th September 2006?

Posted

wrong, the Met O gave 30.1C which I posted somewhere above for a day in August last year

to copy again from the Met O site

August 2007

Terrington St Clement (Norfolk) recorded a maximum temperature of 30.1 °C on 5th.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
wrong, the Met O gave 30.1C which I posted somewhere above for a day in August last year

to copy again from the Met O site

August 2007

Terrington St Clement (Norfolk) recorded a maximum temperature of 30.1 °C on 5th.

Sorry I was looking at 2006 not 2007!

30.1C indeed reached on 5th August last year - the highest temperature of the year.

Posted
Sorry I was looking at 2006 not 2007!

30.1C indeed reached on 5th August last year - the highest temperature of the year.

Most days in July 2006 reached 30C somewhere!