Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Last Time 30C plus was recorded

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Latest obs show that Heathrow is 25.9C at 13.00BST. I reckon it will max out around 28-29C in a couple of hours. So not looking like 30C will be broken today.

Posted
wrong, the Met O gave 30.1C which I posted somewhere above for a day in August last year

to copy again from the Met O site

August 2007

Terrington St Clement (Norfolk) recorded a maximum temperature of 30.1 °C on 5th.

Is that an official site though? I know it seems petty but there was a long debate (many pages) on this Forum last year about whether 30c was actually reached officially in 2007, and the conclussion was that it was not reached at a fully official site, it was reached at one or two unofficial sites but these could not be included as an official statistic as they do not meet the requirements for the positioning of the station, I seem to remember that one was on a roof top in an urban area.

Anyway just thought I would mention it, Mr Data will have the official stats for last years highest temperature im sure.

Posted

can't get more official than the UK met O stating its the highest accepted reading, or am I mistaken?

Posted
can't get more official than the UK met O stating its the highest accepted reading, or am I mistaken?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/net...images/map6.gif

Well, it isn't even an official site according to the Met Office's own site.

It was not released until well after the month ended.

No one has ever heard of this site before.

I cannot remember this site ever having recorded the highest daytime temperature before and I've been following weather records for over 30 years, let alone the highest annual temp.

It just happened to be the only site that recorded 30.0C or higher other than the rooftop Clerkenwell station. It is 0.4C degrees higher than Coningsby in Lincs which in turn was about 0.4C higher than all other stations in Lincs/E Anglia that day.

Posted

my point, and I'll shut up after this, is, after due thought, the Met O have kept it as the highest value in August of 2007 with no comment that it was not an acceptable figure!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I recorded 30.0C here in Central London at around 2:30 this afternoon.

Humidity feels like its beginning to shoot up as well...getting a bit sticky!!

At least the conditions are starting to become more favourable for thunderstorms. Whether they materialise or not is obviously the critical point.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/net...images/map6.gif

Well, it isn't even an official site according to the Met Office's own site.

It was not released until well after the month ended.

No one has ever heard of this site before.

I cannot remember this site ever having recorded the highest daytime temperature before and I've been following weather records for over 30 years, let alone the highest annual temp.

It just happened to be the only site that recorded 30.0C or higher other than the rooftop Clerkenwell station. It is 0.4C degrees higher than Coningsby in Lincs which in turn was about 0.4C higher than all other stations in Lincs/E Anglia that day.

So it's an unoffical offical recording site. ;);)

Posted

;);)

We had this whole argument last year. 30 degrees wasnt recorded by a "recognised" weather station , though some unofficial reports did say we got there on that one day in August. but officially 30 deg wasnt reached last summer.

just been out - its hot in London today. i think we're not far off 30 deg to be honest right now.

Posted

Well it's listed here

http://badc.nerc.ac.uk/data/surface/statio...s_stations.html

So does that make it an Offical unoffical Offical recording site???

Posted

upto 28.0C in central London at 1600BST. That could be the max today though I hope not summer.

Posted

final comment re the 30C last year is this from a contact in the Met office

it is a recognised auxiliary climat recorder, so we do accept them

Posted

Does anyone have a list of summers/years when 30C was not reached anywhere in mainland UK? I've noted a few comments about this summer and last year being rubbish because nowhere recorded 30C. Obviously last summer was rubbish but my point is that there seems to be a perception that we “need” 30C to attain a good summer. As a child i thought that 30C was an exception not an expectation for the summer months. It is only since the late 80's that it seems to be that 25C is actually no more than an "average" hot day. Is this just my view or do the stats suggest this?

NB – Location is always important when it comes to weather so just to clarify that i grew up in SE London and moved to the SW in 1990.

Cheers

S

Posted
Does anyone have a list of summers/years when 30C was not reached anywhere in mainland UK? I've noted a few comments about this summer and last year being rubbish because nowhere recorded 30C. Obviously last summer was rubbish but my point is that there seems to be a perception that we “need” 30C to attain a good summer. As a child i thought that 30C was an exception not an expectation for the summer months. It is only since the late 80's that it seems to be that 25C is actually no more than an "average" hot day. Is this just my view or do the stats suggest this?

NB – Location is always important when it comes to weather so just to clarify that i grew up in SE London and moved to the SW in 1990.

Cheers

S

Since the war 1958, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1966, 1972, 1974, 1978, 1980, 1981, 1985 and 1993 did not record 30C.

Posted
Since the war 1958, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1966, 1972, 1974, 1978, 1980, 1981, 1985 and 1993 did not record 30C.

Thanks Nick. That run from 72 to 85 is probably what gives me the perception that 30 is extraordinary but only 1 occurrence (ignoring if 07 was/was not) since 85!

Thanks

S

edit -typo

Edited by swebby

Posted
Thanks Nick. That run from 72 to 85 is probably what gives me the perception that 30 is extraordinary but only 1 occurrence (ignoring if 07 was/was not) since 85!

Thanks

S

edit -typo

If you look at the summer seasons since 1970 till present day it is interesting to note that 9 summers between 1970 and 1990 were in the coldest 100 recorded, whereas since 1990 there has been no summer in that coldest 100.

Conversely, since 1990 there have been 12 summers in the warmest 100. Between 1970 and 1990 7 summers were recorded in the top 100 with 1976(of course!) being the warmest summer ever recorded at 17.77C.

So between 1970 and 1990 there was a far wider variation of summer since that period since.

http://hadobs.metoffice.com/hadcet/

Posted
If you look at the summer seasons since 1970 till present day it is interesting to note that 9 summers between 1970 and 1990 were in the coldest 100 recorded, whereas since 1990 there has been no summer in that coldest 100.

Conversely, since 1990 there have been 12 summers in the warmest 100. Between 1970 and 1990 7 summers were recorded in the top 100 with 1976(of course!) being the warmest summer ever recorded at 17.77C.

So between 1970 and 1990 there was a far wider variation of summer since that period since.

http://hadobs.metoffice.com/hadcet/

The highlighted figure is the one that stands out for me, maybe indicates why, i think, some peoples expectations are set so high. My take on this summer so far in the SW is - very average (no exceptional heat, rain or sunshine but maybe a little on the chilly side). As long as we do not get a repeat of 2007, something i think is a once in a lifetime event, then i can not grumble.

Cheers

S

Edited by swebby

Posted

Yes growing up in the Lake District during the 80s and 90s, I used to remember seeing the 30 degree symbol on the map normally placed over the SE and thinking wow they are going to get 30 today! It seemed to me at the time such a high temperature and something that I could probably count on one hand at the most having ever experienced myself in the Lake District, from memory perhaps only in 1990 and 1995.

In recent years 30 degrees doesn't seem the benchmark of a hot day like it used to. 32 degrees seems to be the new benchmark for a 'hot' day. Still I use the 25 degree mark as a measure of a good very warm summers day here in the NE, and 30 degrees at least for me who very seldom has reason or desire to venture to the south of england still remains a high benchmark and indication of a hot summers day.

Posted
Yes growing up in the Lake District during the 80s and 90s, I used to remember seeing the 30 degree symbol on the map normally placed over the SE and thinking wow they are going to get 30 today! It seemed to me at the time such a high temperature and something that I could probably count on one hand at the most having ever experienced myself in the Lake District, from memory perhaps only in 1990 and 1995.

In recent years 30 degrees doesn't seem the benchmark of a hot day like it used to. 32 degrees seems to be the new benchmark for a 'hot' day. Still I use the 25 degree mark as a measure of a good very warm summers day here in the NE, and 30 degrees at least for me who very seldom has reason or desire to venture to the south of england still remains a high benchmark and indication of a hot summers day.

Living where I do, I agree wholeheartedly with this. Since my records began in 1982, I have only recorded 30C+ on 8 occasions and only once above 32C. Like yourself, I use 25C as a reliable mark for a good summer's day (A figure we havent seen since Sept 2006 now). There seems to be this expectation these days that 30C 'should' be reached on at least a few occasions each summer. However, even in the warmer south-east, its still 7-8C above the highest average maximum temperature expected in high summer. No doubt this is fallout from an abundance of warm summers in the last 25 years (1983, 1990, 1995, 2003, 2006).

Posted
As a child i thought that 30C was an exception not an expectation for the summer months.

Same here. Though I used to watch the forecast and hope for something around 24C. But still, when I first found out the "average" high for June was "only" 19C I thought it was complete nonsense!

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Although this is going to be tested in the next few days will it be reached???

Posted

this was for yesterday will be interesting to see if it gets higher tonight from the met office site

24 hours ending 2200 on 24 Jul 08: UK

Highest max 28.2 °C Heathrow

Lowest max 14.8 °C Fair Isle

Lowest min 8.0 °C Kinbrace

Highest rainfall 4.2 mm St Angelo

Sunniest 14.0 hours East Malling

Posted

Watnall, a Met O site showing 31C on Wx Online, as you say we await the Met O final results later

Posted
Watnall, a Met O site showing 31C on Wx Online, as you say we await the Met O final results later

Is this Watnall, Nottingham? If so, it appears max temp today was 27.0ºC by Met O data.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/em/...her_graphs.html

c

Posted

fine one has to accept the Met O as correct but wait for their max - min temp rain sun data, usually seen first thing the next day?

I stand by my 29.1C as being correct