Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Caribbean Monk seal.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/...80608074828.htm

Though we note with great sadness when we cause a large critter to become extinct for every large beastie we must be 'doing for' many more of our mini beasties without even noting their passing.

Ho Hum.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Made me quite sad as found another page that listed how many species we are wiping out.

Posted

You and me both Pit!, you probably would not be suprised to find how many people actively avoid such knowledge as it 'unsettles' the flow of life they enjoy............ah well.

Posted

And what about all the new species that come about? That's the way of the animal & plant world. Those unable to adapt die out & others move in to take their place. You can't change nature GW. If nothing changed, evolution would ever have got going & you wouldn't be here to complain about it!

Dave

Posted
And what about all the new species that come about? That's the way of the animal & plant world. Those unable to adapt die out & others move in to take their place. You can't change nature GW. If nothing changed, evolution would ever have got going & you wouldn't be here to complain about it!

Dave

Evolution is just a theory.

Posted
I hate reading about stuff like this :)

How can you adapt to being hunted (by humans) to extinction?

As do we all WIBs , sadly it was hidden away instead of being written large (as it ought).

Maybe Dave is right and our mice with human ears on their back or the plethora of other 'genetically modified' species should be classed as new species in their own right (if they are able to reproduce) and we can stuff the world full of our own freaks whilst robbing the planet of it's natural beauty.........

As with the dead Dolphins on our south coast last night surely if they cannot 'adapt' the the warships sonar they deserver to die out (as with our Monk seal being silly enough not to adapt to firearms.....surely it deserved extinction?)

I believe it was in "A Winters Tale" where Perdita was arguing with Prince Leonid about carnations in her garden (I will not have such B*stards in my garden) with Leonid reminding her that we are of nature and so anything we produce is also of nature...

Posted
As do we all WIBs , sadly it was hidden away instead of being written large (as it ought).

Maybe Dave is right and our mice with human ears on their back or the plethora of other 'genetically modified' species should be classed as new species in their own right (if they are able to reproduce) and we can stuff the world full of our own freaks whilst robbing the planet of it's natural beauty.........

As with the dead Dolphins on our south coast last night surely if they cannot 'adapt' the the warships sonar they deserver to die out (as with our Monk seal being silly enough not to adapt to firearms.....surely it deserved extinction?)

I believe it was in "A Winters Tale" where Perdita was arguing with Prince Leonid about carnations in her garden (I will not have such B*stards in my garden) with Leonid reminding her that we are of nature and so anything we produce is also of nature...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/...80609115216.htm

and of course, with our climate forcing ways, we can snuff out sooo many more critters.........well done us????

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted
  • Location: A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Guildford, Surrey
  • Location: A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Guildford, Surrey

There seems to be an increasing propensity towards blaming mankind for everything. Here is a case in point - 26 dolphins get beached and die in what is considered one of the worst events of its kind. Various explanations are proposed, including confusion from ships' sonar systems, but also including the threat of a killer whale (which, last time I checked, is not a man-made object), but it's the Sonar explanation that people latch onto - isn't Mankind wicked, creating all these evil technological devices that threaten nature?

To reword the old saying, "All that happens is not man's fault."

CB

Posted
There seems to be an increasing propensity towards blaming mankind for everything. Here is a case in point - 26 dolphins get beached and die in what is considered one of the worst events of its kind. Various explanations are proposed, including confusion from ships' sonar systems, but also including the threat of a killer whale (which, last time I checked, is not a man-made object), but it's the Sonar explanation that people latch onto - isn't Mankind wicked, creating all these evil technological devices that threaten nature?

To reword the old saying, "All that happens is not man's fault."

CB

I'm afraid it is captain Bobski. There are now a group of people out there who are so convinced that they are right about everything that anyone who disagrees is shouted down & made to feel stupid.

If you take my reply earlier which seemed to spark the contoversy. I mentioned new species evolving, which of course, they are all the time, this was pounced upon as mice with human ears growing on them. Belittling the point I was trying to make.

Species evolved & died out long before man was on the scene. Were we to blame for the dinosaurs? We probably were even though we weren't there. We ouselves have only emerged in the last few million years!

Of course man has had a far greater impact on the rest of the plant & animal kingdom than any other living being. Man has also done wonderful things & is trying to protect vulnerable creatures (providing they are popular of course!).

I notice that you don't post as much these days & I can see why. There's not much point when all you're met with is cheap jibes & disdain.

The world is a tough old place & always has been. No living being has the right to exist, including mankind.

The whole thing for me is best summed up ny a line from The Simpsons, icidentally the greatest piece of TV of all time.

Marge to Lisa "You look sad honey, did the last of something die?"

Dave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

IMO (stressed and stressed again) it is quite normal for a species at the successful end of the evolutionary game, to have wiped out many species in the course of its existence.

In the same breath it is quite normal for animals to develop language and use tools, even like us grasp nuclear physics :lol: .

It is equally normal for any species to fall flat on its face by wiping out the wrong species.

Looking at it religiously (I am a standing stones sort of person myself) one of these days God is going to get a bit annoyed and smack someones bottom, in an evolutionary way of course. With brass nob's* on.

Russ

* Depleted uranium may be used instead.

Posted
Why, who's hunting you Wibs? :)

Them................... :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/...80702132238.htm

Sack the mathematician......seems we have greatly underestimated the danger lots of the planets critters are in.