Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Disappearing Bee

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

I'm surprised Grey Wolf hasn't mentioned this but I slip in the doom and gloom thread.

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/n...hem-813971.html

Could be a major problem if the Bees all do disappear as they're one of the major pollinators. However I think the whole population of insect life is disappearing. Once summer came along you used to drive off down to the local car shop and buy bug removal sponge and sprays. Why because you windscreen would get totally covered in insects if you travelled any distance and they'd be plastered on hard. Now this doesn't happen and I doubt that it's because insects have learnt the highway code.

I blame farming mostly too many sprays to keep the bugs down and the ones you need get killed as well.

Posted

I seem to see many more bumble bees these days. I'm not sure I knew the difference until about 10 years ago, but now they are the only bees I seem to see. There certainly are many fewer overall. Sadly the same can't be said for wasps! I know they serve a purpose & must be preserved, but they are truly vile, nasty things whose only intention in life is to sting me! Did I mention I don't like wasps...love bees though!

Dave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

There are loads of bumble bees in my garden, I've counted 6 different species so far. There was a load of wasps in early May but nothing since then. We had a few mason bees but they seem to have vanished again and I've only seen a handful of honey bees.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

there's been a few here and there up here , but not as many as last year :huh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

We should prehaps distinguish between Bumble bees and Honey bees.

Honey bee

honeybee.jpg

This is the one which shows the sudden colony collapse which has everyone so worried.

Bumble bee.

BumbleBeeREX_468x362.jpg

Still generally in decline in the UK but seemingly more common in our urban gardens than the honey bee.

Both species are used as pollenators in commercial horticulture but for different crops.

Edited by Azores Hi

Posted
Do you buy organic Pit?

Im sure most farmers would prefer to go down the organic route, unfortuantly they carnt affotd to.

I do when possible however quite a lot of organic stuff isn't really and by the time it's been stored and sprayed isn't any better than the other stuff.

Farmers probably could afford too but probably don't want to risk it. Years ago on country file this farmer got fed up with putting on more and more nitrates for lower and lower yields then thought bugger it and stopped using it and was surprised to find his crops started growing better. His fellow farmers thought he was nuts and whether the yields continued rising or not was never followed up.

Anyway they'll all be gm crops soon anyway sadly.

Ah ha spotted the conspiracy. It's the Government since Bee's contaminate other crops wipe out all the Bees. Bingo you got to GM crops.

Posted

Taken in our 'edge of town' garden this morning. I haven't seen a decline in bees, although there aren't as many wasps or mossies around this year :yahoo:

gallery_6667_459_109916.jpg

Posted

Seen quite a few Bumbles about but only one honey Bee and thankfully very few wasps.

Posted

Our chives have been covered in bees. Certainly more about this year than last. Hope this is a good sign.. :yahoo:

Posted

Its the wasp thats been in serious decline for a number of years down here,the bumble bee seems to be thriving

I seem to see many more bumble bees these days. I'm not sure I knew the difference until about 10 years ago, but now they are the only bees I seem to see. There certainly are many fewer overall. Sadly the same can't be said for wasps! I know they serve a purpose & must be preserved, but they are truly vile, nasty things whose only intention in life is to sting me! Did I mention I don't like wasps...love bees though!

Dave

Funny you mention i've seen loads of bumblers and wasps :rolleyes: this year,the wasps seem to coming out quicker too.

Posted

Honey Bee we're talking about by the way.

Haven't seen any wasps for ages.

Posted
Taken in our 'edge of town' garden this morning. I haven't seen a decline in bees, although there aren't as many wasps or mossies around this year :unsure:

arent we a bit early for wasps though?

Posted
arent we a bit early for wasps though?

Nope...I was stung in the mouth by one a week ago. My lip was swollen too....horrible little gits should be wiped out.