Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Flooding and Heatwaves in the American Midwest

Posted

Morning all. Apologies if there is another thread for this - I've searched but couldn't find one. Mods, please delete if this is the case.

Dreadful weather in Wisconsin and a heatwave on the East coast of America: details here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7443473.stm

Regards,

Mike.

Posted

When we left Florida on Sunday most of the weather reports were about the heatwave or the flooding. Saw some great storms in the sky around the Philly/NY area as we flew home Sunday night :)

Callie :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

Also i have just read there has been Historic floods in Iowa, not suprised after all them severe storms.

Truly extraordinary flooding has hit the Cedar River in the town of Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Rainfall amounts in excess of 12 inches have fallen in the past ten days over the Cedar River watershed, which extends to the northwest of Cedar Rapids into southern Minnesota. The rains that fell during the weekend of June 7-8 were fueled in part by moisture from Tropical Storm Alma/Arthur, which affected Central America May 29 - June 2. The Cedar River is expected to crest today at 31.8 feet, which is an amazing 19.8 feet above the flood stage of 12 feet. During the historic 1993 flood, the worst in recent history, the river hit only 19.27 feet, 7 feet above flood stage. Nine rivers in Iowa are at all-time record flood levels, and Iowa Governor Chet Culver has declared 83 of the state's 99 counties state disaster areas. Additional heavy rainfalll is not expected over the Cedar River watershed over the next two days, so today should mark the peak of this year's historic flooding.

You can read more on it from Wunderground Very interesting. Also sad about the tornado that killed 4 boys and injured many more in Western Iowa to.

Jamie

Posted

My cousin lives in Iowa and I haven't been able to contact her yet so a bit concerned now.

It does look very bad indeed there at the moment, so really feel for the folks there.

I think they've had the short straw this year with regards to the weather. Very cold and snowy this winter. My cousin said it's been the coldest and snowiest she has know since she moved there which was about 8 years ago, and now the flooding.

Lets hope it improves very soon for them.