Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cool summers walk down the beach

Posted

Still the best place I find to relax and love takeing photos down thier, the only problem is for the past year they've been doing work to the surrounding area etc and kind spoilt the mood, so the rest time in a long time I got to relax and enjoy not seeing diggers etc

P6130478.jpg

P6130492.jpg

P6130496.jpg

P6130502.jpg

P6130507.jpg

P6130514.jpg

P6130523.jpg

P6130548.jpg

Posted

That one of the moon is a cracker!

I have a question: where are the trees? B)

Posted
Nice pictures Cookie B)

J07 there are no trees in the western isles can you blame them? The wind is to strong maybe in some sheltered area's there will be a few trees but there hardly isnt any.

Is there another reason though? Trees grow in more windswept places on the planet than that.

Posted

do you realize how wind swept it is?

their are quite a lot of trees in the castle grounds in town but their a lot more sheltered. I wouldn't not like it if their was more trees, it would be very dangorus

Posted
do you realize how wind swept it is?

their are quite a lot of trees in the castle grounds in town but their a lot more sheltered. I wouldn't not like it if their was more trees, it would be very dangorus

Your signature gives me some idea :lol:

The lack of trees would more likely have something to do with the type of soil, or the latitude, I'm not sure.

The reason I say this is that trees grow all over the world in equally windy or windier places. eg islands in the Southern Ocean are more consistently windswept (they wouldn't get several weeks of blocking, for example) yet they have trees. Patagonia is extremely windy and yet has a wealth of trees. Places in the tropics get consistent and quite strong trade winds, and yet still support trees.

On mountainsides, the trees that hang around just below the treeline, you can be sure they get smashed by strong winds repeatedly and yet they cling to survival.

What I'm saying is that whilst wind may be a reason for trees not growing, there surely must be other factors too! Trees can be pretty tough. And not all trees drop their branches in storms either :lol:

Edited by J07

Posted
Most of the ground to is rocky and sandy.

Aha, OK.

The top of Lewis is also one of the windiesplaces in the world.

I find that pretty unlikely (see attached). It gives mean wind speeds at 10m ASL for the world. Obviously then this discounts the stronger winds at higher altitudes, but that does more of a dis-service to mountainous parts of the world than it does to Lewis.

post-7526-1213648893_thumb.png