Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

July CET

Posted
Hadley CET is 16.2?

Blimey, the warmest July ending in "8" since 1878 (16.6)

Would this come into the 'exceptional' category then? ;)

Results now in, and well done to snowsure, AtlanticFlamethrower and LadyPakal for getting the 16.2c figure spot on.

In the summer competition richarddx7 leads from Terminal Moraine (2nd) and LadyPakal (3rd)

Overall after July, there are joint leaders between AtlanticFlamethrower (up from 2nd) richarddx7 (From 3rd). Sundog slips from 1st to 3rd.

LadyPakal mover up to 4th (from 11th) and snowsure is now 12th (from 28h).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
The quality controlled Hadley value has been confirmed at 16.2C.

Excellent! I thought I was going to be nearer 0.5C out with my original 16.1C prediction.

I have a suspicion that within a year's time Hadley might revise a few of their values upwards (as they did in late 2005 with the early 2005 values). The Hadley CET values seem disproportionately low relative to the anomalies that most stations across the UK are reporting, including the CET zone, while Philip Eden's Manley figures seem about right.

Posted
4th below average summer month in a row (1971/2000) :o

Very unlikely we`ll see a warm August now.

Of course technically at least 2 of those are classified as "close to average".

Posted
4th below average summer month in a row (1971/2000) :o

Very unlikely we`ll see a warm August now.

I would not call a July CET of 16.2 a cool month. It was still above the 61-90 average. For goodness sake, a month that is below the most recent 1971-2000 average but still above the 1961-90 mean is still an average month in my books. July 2008 may not have reached the 1971-2000 average, but it was still in fact a shade above average by historical standards - far from being anything to shout about in the christmas pudding of getting a cooler than average month.

Posted
July 2008 may not have reached the 1971-2000 average, but it was still in fact a shade above average by historical standards

And two-thirds of it was pretty poor, really, yet it still turned out almost bang on average.

Posted

Another very average month CET wise, getting quite used to these in the last 12 months or so (Jan, Feb and May excepted).

Overall, the figure feels right, the first 2 thirds of the month were poor with a very good last third. August can not redeem the summer going down other than average at best now.

Thought I may have been in with a chance of getting it spot on, but the customary downward correction put pay to that, meaning I have fallen one place in the overall league 4th to 5th.

Posted

The first half came in 1.0c below average

Second half came in 0.8c above average.

The first day averaged 18.0c.

11th-20th was 1.7c below normal

21st-31st was 2.1c above average (averaging about 18.4c)

The middle of June to middle of July was a poor summer spell, around 0.5c below normal.

Posted

Thanks once again Jackone for putting these results together for everyone.

Like a few others, I am very surprised at how low the CET figure is; it doesn't seem quite right somehow and to be adjusted downwards seems very odd indeed. Netweather's own tracker had a much more believable 16.8!

Moose

Posted

I can't understand why anyone seems surprised at the CET end result - 2/3 of the month was below average versus a third well above, not to mention the fact that 30 wasn't breached in the CET zone during the warm spell. Hadley was running 0.4 ahead of Manley at about halfway in the month and there was less sunshine than normal and more rainfall.

It makes perfect sense for the month to be slightly below average in these circumstances - the hotter temperatures of the warm spell were in the SE which is of course, not part of the CET.

As for the NW tracker - it tracks the temperature on a rolling basis not a max/min basis so will always differ.

Edit - Hadley only ever adjusts downwrads of late, it is clearly compensating for the urban effect or some such. Can't recall the last upward adjustment.

Posted

The last time Manley was below Hadley was November 2006;

Manley 8.0c

Hadley 8.1c

Most notably was 1996;

February

Manley 2.4c

Hadley 2.5c

May

Manley 9.0c

Hadley 9.1c

June

Manley 14.3c

Hadley 14.4c

July

Manley 16.3c

Hadley 16.5c

October

Manley 11.5c

Hadley 11.7c

The year overall was below on Manleys figure at 9.17c, Hadley came in at 9.20c.

Posted

I am often surprised by the CET SM, this last month no exception. It's certainly true there were a few cool, even cold days earlier in the month (notably the weekend of the 19th), but generally, night time temperatures were held well up in my part of the CET zone even when the day time temperatures were not that high. Doesn't matter much that 30 was not reached I don't think - 27 and 28 were recorded on several days and many more days around 24 and 25 with warm nights.

I am talking really about the impression that the weather gives to the bodily senses and the 'feeling' of whether it is warm or cool. My feeling was that it was the former, not the latter in July overall which is why I thought the other CET trackers more reasonable.

I know that is not scientific and clearly not accurate as far as the whole CET zone is concerned. It's good sometimes I think to 'stick one's finger in the air' and 'feel' the weather rather than just rely on stats. It's more fun!

Moose

Posted
I am often surprised by the CET SM, this last month no exception. It's certainly true there were a few cool, even cold days earlier in the month (notably the weekend of the 19th), but generally, night time temperatures were held well up in my part of the CET zone even when the day time temperatures were not that high. Doesn't matter much that 30 was not reached I don't think - 27 and 28 were recorded on several days and many more days around 24 and 25 with warm nights.

I am talking really about the impression that the weather gives to the bodily senses and the 'feeling' of whether it is warm or cool. My feeling was that it was the former, not the latter in July overall which is why I thought the other CET trackers more reasonable.

I know that is not scientific and clearly not accurate as far as the whole CET zone is concerned. It's good sometimes I think to 'stick one's finger in the air' and 'feel' the weather rather than just rely on stats. It's more fun!

Moose

I see what you mean, but oddly I found it a rather cool and gloomy month in general until the final 8 or 9 days and thought that even in the mid twenties we were only slightly above the daytime average for high summer with a handful of days in the very warm to hot category. I suppose I looked at it as a 'length of time' thing - it seemed cool to me for much much longer than it seemed muggy/stuffy.

Posted

It was the way the final 9 days completely cancelled out what seemed to be, to me, persistently cool weather in the first 3 weeks of the month (only the 1st and 15th were above average in that period). Although the final third was consistently warm, it was not as if we had exceptional heat given the time of the year - we couldn't even manage 30°C.

Posted
It was the way the final 9 days completely cancelled out what seemed to be, to me, persistently cool weather in the first 3 weeks of the month (only the 1st and 15th were above average in that period). Although the final third was consistently warm, it was not as if we had exceptional heat given the time of the year - we couldn't even manage 30°C.

Although it didn't 'completely' cancel it out - the temp was at its lowest at 15.3 and ended at 16.2 - so only 75% of the 'below average anomoly' was cancelled out by a period probably 50% of the time that conditions were below average.

Thus the warm spell was more potent relative to the cooler spell which itself was more enduring.

Posted

So rather surprising that 29.7c was the highest max as shown on the 30c thread as 30c was forecast about 3 times as far as I seen.

It was a good enough month for me anyway in the end after that notably cool unsettled first few weeks.

Posted

Can't say July will go down as a memorable month for me, I was very very lucky to be in Inverness during the very warm spell, but apart from the last few days, the rest of the month was instantly forgettable. Its not going down as a summer to remember...