Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

French weather history -- very interesting

Roger J Smith

Posted

Some here might have seen this site, but I'll bet many haven't seen it -- I just stumbled onto it through a link from the French weather site "Meteociel.fr" which lists the link as "Archives 1850" but actually there are a few entries from before that year.

Anyway, the link I provide here is for the annual summary for 1987, always a good place to start.

And guess what, they have weather maps of both the October storm and the 1703 storm, the latter I had speculated about on here but this actually shows a weather map from the position of the storm over Holland. Very interesting, as is the whole site really, lots of stories of severe storms, temperature extremes and floods, snowstorms etc, on an annual basis.

The link is

www.meteo-paris.com/chronique/?d=1987

Apparently Mr. Data has a French counterpart (as well as a Canadian counterpart, perhaps a world cup of weather history is in the formative stages here).

Posted

Thanks for that link- it certainly makes interesting reading thow much the climates differes to see just o compare it with uk sites to see just how much the climates differ. One feature of the French site that particularly catches my eye is the way that if individual regions do not conform closely to the national average for a given month, it is noted on the graph- for instance in January 1987 Southeast France had only marginally below average temperatures

post-3898-1214515680_thumb.jpg

while most of the country had one of its coldest ever Januaries