Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

MetO Weather warning watch

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

As I posted earlier I was going to monitor weather warnings for our region. One problem is that Sheffield and South Yorkshire seem to wander a bit at the moment we're back in Yorkshire and Humberside. You have to use the post code finder to get us though.

From the Met office

There is a moderate risk of a severe weather event affecting Wales, south-western parts of England as well as a large part of northern England, southern Scotland and the south-east of Northern Ireland. There is a potential for heavy rain to give 20 to 30 mm with 30 to 60 mm locally over higher ground.

Issued at: 0026 Sat 21 Jun Seems to be valid from Saturday to Sunday although looking at Sundays Map Sheffield is out of the warning area on Sunday.

No warnings of strong winds

Okay accuracy limits for low ground 15mm to 40 mm High ground 20mm to 70mm I'll check with TM unless there's someone around high in Sheffield who can give me there rain fall figures.

Winds gusts up to 50 mph.

Posted

I imagine there be some potential for disruption from the winds given the trees are in full leaf and the ground is saturated? Even if the wind speeds are not that high relatively speaking.

Posted
I imagine there be some potential for disruption from the winds given the trees are in full leaf and the ground is saturated? Even if the wind speeds are not that high relatively speaking.

No warnings for strong winds in our area full stop although there is a warning further north of area. The purpose of this monitoring is too see how close they get to the real figures. I suspect the rainfall is going to be the real weak area.

Posted

Well rainfall will be the least of problems here as the ground is rock hard.

As for the wind thats a totally different matter see the bbc weather twice now and severe gales were shown and from north Wales northwards not seen that in summer before. ;)

http://85.214.49.20/pics/brack0a.gif

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

No rain problem today, its gone through here giving just 5.5mm.

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

Updated Warning

There is a moderate risk of a severe weather event affecting Wales, south-western parts of England as well as a large part of northern England, southern Scotland and the south-east of Northern Ireland. There is a potential for heavy rain to give 20 to 30 mm with 30 to 60 mm locally over higher ground.

Issued at: 1747 Sat 21 Jun

As before on Sunday we're just out of the region. So the rain will need to turn up overnight. After a brief heavy burst it's now stopped.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Derbyshire is included in the weather warning but I suspect only the northern Peak District will see any large amounts of rain; just 5.2 mm so far today here.

Posted
Derbyshire is included in the weather warning but I suspect only the northern Peak District will see any large amounts of rain; just 5.2 mm so far today here.

Yup struggling badly to get there. 60mm is certainly out me thinks.

Posted

Looking like the warning is incorrect activity dying down on the latest radar unlikely to get much more rain tonight.

Still a few hours to go though as things can change.

Posted

Just noticed an area of heavy rain to the south of Birmingham which appears to be heading in our direction, no chance of 60 mm of rain but possibly 10-15mm if it doesn't fragment?

Posted
Just noticed an area of heavy rain to the south of Birmingham which appears to be heading in our direction, no chance of 60 mm of rain but possibly 10-15mm if it doesn't fragment?

Fragmenting already. Chesterfield I'll reckon will get most of it. Funny i was watching this under the convective storm forum. Sheffield could be far too north.

Posted

net weather have thier own warning out

Wind and rain

Issued on 21/06/2008 at 11:03

Valid From: 21/06/2008 at 11:00 until 23/06/2008 at 03:00

Regions affected:

ScotlandNorthern IrelandNorthern EnglandWales

Areas affected in detail:

as shown

Severity level:

Level 4

Weather type:

Wind and rain

Alert risk period:

21/06/08 11:00 until 23/06/08 03:00

Alert details:

This is a Watch for rainfall and strong winds.

An unusually deep depression for mid summer, currently deepening south west of Ireland, is predicted to track north north east to clear the Scottish mainland by the early hours of Monday morning.

As it moves along this track it will give outbreaks of rain and strong winds.

Rainfall

Amounts for hilly areas of North Wales, the western side of Northern England and the high ground of Scotland totals of 20-35mm seem likely. In the more prone areas up to 50mm is possible. Parts of eastern Northern Ireland could also see 20-30mm.

It seems unlikely that rivers and streams flowing from these areas will overflow but it is a small probability so do take heed of any Environment Agency messages for your area.

Wind

Areas from the Irish Sea fringes northwards into northern England, chiefly the Pennines north, along with parts of Northern Ireland and much of Scotland, with the outer isles both West and North likely to see the strongest here.

Gusts speeds of 40-50mph are most likely but in the more exposed areas over 60mph is probable.

Although speeds, even gust values, are unlikely to meet Net Wx criteria the strength at this time of the year is a little unusual. With trees in full leaf some branches may be brought down adding to driving difficulties with the heavy rain so please take care.

Confidence: 80%

Issued by John Holmes for Netweather.tv

Posted
net weather have thier own warning out

Hi Cookie only covering the Met office I'm afraid.

As I suspected the warnings for South Yorkshire were inaccurate. Predicted amounts 20 - 30 mm and up to 60mm on higher ground. Total recorded here 5.6mm can anyone else in the region confirm there amounts???

Today there's a new warning

There is the risk of strong to gale force south-westerly winds through today across the northern half of England, with potential gusts to 55 to 65 mph and isolated gusts to 70mph. The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 0508 Sun 22 Jun

We've already hit 50 mph which is close enough so this warning is right.

Posted
Total recorded here 5.6mm can anyone else in the region confirm there amounts???

Total rainfall for yesterday was 8.9 mm here and Buxton had a similar amount so a long way short of the predictions.

Mean speed of 33 mph SW here at 0900, highest gust so far, 56 mph. This warning does look like being more accurate.

Edited by Terminal Moraine

Posted
Hi Cookie only covering the Met office I'm afraid.

As I suspected the warnings for South Yorkshire were inaccurate. Predicted amounts 20 - 30 mm and up to 60mm on higher ground. Total recorded here 5.6mm can anyone else in the region confirm there amounts???

Today there's a new warning

There is the risk of strong to gale force south-westerly winds through today across the northern half of England, with potential gusts to 55 to 65 mph and isolated gusts to 70mph. The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

sorry mate, I thought this was a genral thread to talk about the bad weather

Posted
sorry mate, I thought this was a genral thread to talk about the bad weather

Well you could always monitor weather warnings for your area and join in. Met office only though.

The main areas I suspect where the Met office will be weak is

1) Rainfall

2) Snowfall

3) Thunderstorms

Wind strength I suspect they'll be good at.

Posted

well it is certainly very windy here right now - no rain but looks like it will come but some very strong gusts of wind.

Posted

New weather warning out for South Yorkshire.

Showers will merge into longer spells of heavy rain at times during this afternoon and at first this evening, bringing totals of 15 mm in 3 hours and totals of 20 to 30 mm in some places, particularly over high ground. The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the latest Environment Agency, Floodline, and Flood Warnings in force and to the Highways Agency for further advice regarding traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 1545 Thu 26 Jun

Lower limit 10mm Upper limit 40mm lets see what happens. Present rainfall 3.8 mm according to Davis (Not official)

No strong winds forecast for the area.

Posted

Only 8 mm here up to 1900 but much heavier rain a bit further north, Buxton has collected 19 mm so far today.

25mm + looks on the cards for them.

Posted

Looking like we'll get the 10mm lower limit. Most of the heavy stuff further North.

Posted

Hammering down for most of mid morning onwards here too. Still at it, a continuous fast flow of water rushing down the street gutters, carrying bits of litter down into the sewers.

Posted

Official gauge came in at 12.5mm so just scraped into the correct limit. What did you get TM???

Posted

We had 18.6 mm but Buxton managed 32mm. Looking at the rainfall accumulation chart there was a fairly steep rainfall gradient in a south east to north west direction with some very large amounts to the north of Manchester.