Cold?
IGNORED

MetO Weather warning watch

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Bit late posting this.

A short period of heavy rain moving northwards will give 15-20mm in 2-3 hours in many areas.

The public are advised to extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 0452 Sat 5 Jul

Lower limit 10mm upper limit 30mm

According to Davis total rain from the band is 3.2mm Will get the official figure tomorrow but I can say the amount here was wrong again. Davis tends to read high. I wonder what TM got.

So far a success rate of 33% as far as rainfall is concerned. Early days yet plenty of time to pull back lost ground.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

We had around 6mm, Buxton had 11. Can't be more exact than that as it was still raining when I left for work ( where I am now ) so I'm estimating about 3mm falling between me leaving and the rain clearing.

We've since had one short heavy shower which has added about another 1-2 mm.

Looking at the net weather extra radar the heaviest rain moved north over Stoke and up the western side of the Peak District.

Posted

Looking at the loop it certainly intensified after it moved away from here. One brief shower this afternoon since with a few rumbles of Thunder. I presume there maybe another warning tomorrow later on and I'll monitor that.

Posted
Looking at the loop it certainly intensified after it moved away from here. One brief shower this afternoon since with a few rumbles of Thunder. I presume there maybe another warning tomorrow later on and I'll monitor that.

Pit ts nice on the east coast but windy i will be watching for the weather warning later looking at the radar and looking at the Plymouth cam,and the westward hoo cams its pretty nasty down there at the moment as they keep saying Sunday going to be horrible

Posted

wednesday storm warning

UK regions: Wales

South West England

West Midlands

London & South East England

Heavy Rain Wed 9 Jul

There is a moderate risk for a severe weather event to affect parts of southern England and Wales, and the West Midlands. Rain will become heavy at times during Wednesday with the potential for 25 to 35 mm to fall widely and up to 50mm in places.

Risk of disruption Warning Valid from Valid to

UK regions:60% Wales

60% South West England

Heavy Rain 0300 Wed 9 2100 Wed 9

There is a high risk of a severe weather event affecting parts of south-west England and south Wales. A period of heavy rain during Wednesday will lead to rainfall totals of 25 to 35 mm quite widely but locally 60 to 75 mm is possible, especially over hills. The heavy rain could lead to localised flooding, especially where ground is saturated.

This warning will be superseded by Flash messages.

For areas with less than 60% risk of disruption please see Advisories.

Issued at: 1058 Tue 8 Jul

Issued at: 1133 Tue 8 Jul

Edited by tinybill

Posted
wednesday storm warning

South West England

West Midlands

Heavy Rain Wed 9 Jul

There is a moderate risk for a severe weather event to affect parts of southern England and Wales, and the West Midlands. Rain will become heavy at times during Wednesday with the potential for 25 to 35 mm to fall widely and up to 50mm in places.

No warning for me in South Yorkshire but feel free to monitor your own area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
wednesday storm warning

South West England

West Midlands

Heavy Rain Wed 9 Jul

Risk of disruption Warning Valid from Valid to

UK regions:60% Wales

60% South West England

Heavy Rain 0300 Wed 9 2100 Wed 9

There is a high risk of a severe weather event affecting parts of south-west England and south Wales. A period of heavy rain during Wednesday will lead to rainfall totals of 25 to 35 mm quite widely but locally 60 to 75 mm is possible, especially over hills. The heavy rain could lead to localised flooding, especially where ground is saturated.

This warning will be superseded by Flash messages.

For areas with less than 60% risk of disruption please see Advisories.

Issued at: 1058 Tue 8 Jul

Oh joy, even more rain, can't wait. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Somerset float off into the Bristol channel if this keeps up.... even the ducks have had enough now.

Posted
Oh joy, even more rain, can't wait. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Somerset float off into the Bristol channel if this keeps up.... even the ducks have had enough now.

They are probably Somerset ducks and don't like it because they can't swim/float

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
They are probably Somerset ducks and don't like it because they can't swim/float

Sad but true, they prefer bobbing...

Pond has now overflowed creating a huge pond in the garden, currently just over 12c and persisting it down. Really does feel more like October round these parts, will it ever stop?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
Sad but true, they prefer bobbing...

Pond has now overflowed creating a huge pond in the garden, currently just over 12c and persisting it down. Really does feel more like October round these parts, will it ever stop?

Been raining a few hours here and is now steady and heavy and it is dark/gloomy. Yes October is a perfect comparison...you're not alone. :)

BFTP

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

I see Met Office have issued a warning for South Yorkshire on Tuesday.

There is a moderate risk of a severe weather event affecting many central and western parts of England and also Wales. There is the potential for rainfall accumulations of 25 mm quite widely with isolated totals of 50 mm possible. A band of heavy, thundery rain is expected to push northwards from central parts early in the day. Another area of heavy rain is forecast to spread across southwestern areas later.

Issued at: 1055 Sun 27 Jul

Will look again Monday evening to see if it's either gone or modified further.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW!
Weather warning issued for storms in Peterborough.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ee/...t_warnings.html

Woohoo, me too on the Staffs/Warks/Leics border. I am going to catch my first lightning photo tomorrow night.....hopefully!

Posted

Warning still there but Carol K graphics showed the rain band splitting as it headed our way so it's beginning to be on shaky grounds already.

Posted

Warning now removed for Yorkshire area which probably a good sign as we tend to get more rain without a warning than with a warning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Yes, also removed for Derbyshire but still in place for Staffordshire. I'd be interested to know where the line of warning/no warning actually lies.

Posted

New Weather warning for South Yorkshire

Thunderstorms are expected this afternoon. These are expected to bring localised torrential downpours, frequent lightning and possibly large hail and very strong gusts of wind. At present, inland areas appear more prone. Localised rainfall totals of 20 mm in the hour. The Public are advised to take extra care and refer to the 'Highways Agency' for further advice on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads. Further FLASHES may be issued.

Issued at: 1150 Thu 31 Jul

May just reach the rainfall total min of 10mm. Netweather Radar indicates that the remaining rain areas at the present time may miss us.

Posted

Well it made the lower limit I've set. A rare case of the met office getting the rainfall totals right.

Posted

I'm going to say this forecast was partly right as there wasn't any Thunderstorms Hail or strong gusts. Just the rain so I'm giving them a quarter mark.

So far five warnings only two correct and one 25% right.

Edited by The PIT

Posted

Warning of heavy issed this morning

Areas of heavy rain will move across parts of northern England this morning, with generally 15 to 25mm of rain expected. The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the latest Environment Agency Floodline, and 'Flood Warnings' in force, and to refer to the 'Highways Agency' for further advice on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 0341 Fri 1 Aug

Bit late in coming the rain already had started missed out the weak Tstorm though but got the rain right. Give them another half mark.

Posted

You didn't mention it PIT, but there was a Meto warning for NI issued for heavy rain this PM. GFS was pointing at this also on the 12z with some CAPE around there , also some -2LI and zilch inhibition. Just looked at the radar accumulated precip in the last 12 hrs, and there's 20 - 30mm spread around - I was watching till 2.00pm and not much going on, so there must have been some heavy rain about this pm? :o

Posted
You didn't mention it PIT, but there was a Meto warning for NI issued for heavy rain this PM. GFS was pointing at this also on the 12z with some CAPE around there , also some -2LI and zilch inhibition. Just looked at the radar accumulated precip in the last 12 hrs, and there's 20 - 30mm spread around - I was watching till 2.00pm and not much going on, so there must have been some heavy rain about this pm? :unknw:

Take it from someone who live in NI - there was HEAVY rain yesterday pm. Thunderstorm, funnel clouds the works!! lasted a good 3 hours ...no measurement but surely >40 mm

Ps - it chucked it down this morning... summer is cool

Posted

New warning for South Yorkshire region

There is a moderate risk of a severe weather event affecting parts of eastern England. Heavy, sometimes thundery, rain may become persistent, giving accumulations of 25 to 40 mm in places.

Issued at: 0032 Wed 6 Aug

Lets see what happens.

By the way I can't monitor other regions I'll leave it to you guys and gals to do.

Posted
New warning for South Yorkshire region

There is a moderate risk of a severe weather event affecting parts of eastern England. Heavy, sometimes thundery, rain may become persistent, giving accumulations of 25 to 40 mm in places.

Issued at: 0032 Wed 6 Aug

Lets see what happens.

By the way I can't monitor other regions I'll leave it to you guys and gals to do.

I thought it was a advisory and when a region or area is highlighted in orange its a warning but to be fair i think there is a bit of uncertainty surrounding today's storm potential. CK on breakfast said its only a risk so nothing is certain and i think today could be one of those days the UKMO is spot on or have got it totally wrong.