Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

MetO Weather warning watch

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
I thought it was a advisory and when a region or area is highlighted in orange its a warning but to be fair i think there is a bit of uncertainty surrounding today's storm potential. CK on breakfast said its only a risk so nothing is certain and i think today could be one of those days the UKMO is spot on or have got it totally wrong.

Okay it's an Advisory. However with these things it's going to be interesting how it develops. Also I suspect it could be one of those days where things change very rapidly.

Posted

Advisory now removed

Posted
I thought it was a advisory and when a region or area is highlighted in orange

Incidentally I just stumbled across this detailed explanatory page on the MetO site. I'm posting it because it's not clearly linked on the site and chances are some other people here might not have seen it.

Posted

Another Advisory for South Yorkshire

There is a moderate risk of a severe weather event affecting parts of Scotland, Northern Ireland, northern England and North Wales. A band of locally very heavy rain will move in from the southwest, giving accumulations of 25 mm in many places and up to 50 mm in a few locations.

Issued at: 0953 Mon 11 Aug

It may well pass further North than us though but lets see what happens.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Yes, I'll be keeping a close eye on this, as you say, Pit, we could be too far south but having escaped the heaviest rain so far in August perhaps it's our turn this time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

The BBC weather forecast I saw had us getting very heavy rain here in Durham for most of tomorrow with less heavy but still persistent rain lasting into Thursday. It could get interesting but I think the exact position of the rain could well shift.

Posted

Well it's looking good for the advisory already up too 10.2mm and rising.

Posted

14.0 mm here so far but the really heavy rain seems to have moved north on a line from Northants to the east of Nottingham and heading into Lincolnshire.

An advisory was certainly warranted for the intensity of rain falling in that area.

Posted

Stopped at 14.6mm for the Davis. I'll have to measure the proper gauge to see if the warning was corretc or not. Davis tends to over do heavier bursts of rain.

Posted

Got 17 mm here Pit Just up the road in Rotherham seems to tie in with accumulations on NW raar.

Posted

Okay we measured 15.6mm Yesterday so it just limped into the warning lower limit I set. So another one they've got right.

Posted

some new warnings out from met office

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_...t_warnings.html

Flash warnings of severe or extreme weather

These are issued when the Met Office has 80% or greater confidence that severe weather is expected in the next few hours. If warnings have been issued, click on the region affected to see more detail.

Region affected

Warning type

Valid from

Valid to

Northern Ireland Heavy Rain 2300 Wed 13 0700 Thu 14

Early warnings of severe or extreme weather

These are issued when the Met Office has 60% or greater confidence that severe weather is expected in the next few days.

Risk of disruption

Warning

Valid from

Valid to

No early warnings have been issued for the UK.

Advisory of severe or extreme weather

These advisories are issued by 1100 daily as routine and indicate confidence of expected severe or extreme weather. Early warnings and Flash Warnings supersede advisories when confidence levels are 60% or greater.

Risk of disruption

Warning

Valid

UK regions:

Northern Ireland

North West England

Strathclyde

Central, Tayside & Fife

SW Scotland, Lothian & Borders

North East England

Posted

So far the Met Office have got just over 50% success rate. Rainfall tends to come in a lot less than they predict. Room for improvement yet.

Posted
Local forecast preparing us for up to another 60mm of rain over the weekend.

Fields flooded everywhere as it is. Shocking stuff.

You want to see real floods - drive 90 miles south!

The weekend is indeed a very worrying proposistion for Ireland because the water table is full. Since Saturday here in Dublin we have had an unbelieveable 145mm, give or take a few mm, of rain. :o I can imagine another 60+mm on top of that!

Edited by Darkman

Posted

The Metoffice warning for Northern Ireland today had rainfall amounts of 25mm and locally 40mm. Well, so far amounts are 90-120mm in the last 24hrs and its still coming down heavily.

I think its definitely a dud warning this time!

Posted

Advisory out now for more heavy rain in the Provence. I notice they are not mentioning expected rain totals yet.

From The Met....

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_...ings.html?day=2

Posted

There was a 'be prepared' warning out for Derbyshire yesterday evening and overnight with amounts up to 30mm in some places. In the event nothing happened, we had a few light showers and even Buxton had less than 1mm.

There was a band of heavy showers moving east across south Derbyshire yesterday evening but this was before the warning was issued, the other band of heavy rain moved east around, and to the north of, Manchester; perhaps they were expecting this to come further south into north Derbyshire.

A 'be aware' advisory is still in place for the county but I'm expecting this to be removed during the morning as there's very little activity locally on the radar.

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
There was a 'be prepared' warning out for Derbyshire yesterday evening and overnight with amounts up to 30mm in some places. In the event nothing happened, we had a few light showers and even Buxton had less than 1mm.

There was a band of heavy showers moving east across south Derbyshire yesterday evening but this was before the warning was issued, the other band of heavy rain moved east around, and to the north of, Manchester; perhaps they were expecting this to come further south into north Derbyshire.

A 'be aware' advisory is still in place for the county but I'm expecting this to be removed during the morning as there's very little activity locally on the radar.

Morning TM,

nothing out of the ordinary here last night, there were a few showers, most of them light, producing just 6mm of rain, total for the month so far 68.3mm.

Paul

Posted

Missed that one so I'll put in it in. Flooding in Leeds though so it went further north than expected by the looks. They were due another flop though. 2.4mm recorded here. Brings them down to 46% accuracy for here.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Weather advisor/warning out

There is a moderate risk of a severe weather event affecting parts of eastern England and eastern Scotland during Sunday. Heavy showers and thunderstorms will break out during the day. There are likely to be some very heavy downpours in places during the afternoon and evening.

Issued at: 1052 Fri 29 Aug

I suspect this will be withdrawn during Saturday at some point.

Posted

Yes, I see we're right on the western edge of the warning area, never a good sign. I too expect the real action to take place further east but would be happy to be proven wrong.

Posted

Warning now removed as predicted.

Posted

Warning back again.

There is a moderate risk of a severe weather event affecting parts of eastern England. Heavy showers and thunderstorms will occur during the day in many parts. There are likely to be some very heavy downpours, mainly during the afternoon and evening, giving falls of 20 to 30mm in places.

Issued at: 0130 Sun 31 Aug