Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

MetO Weather warning watch

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Last warning correct met office clawing some ground back here.

Anyway Bus no.4 arriving. For South Yorkshire

There is a moderate risk of a severe weather event affecting parts of England and Wales on Monday. A band of rain will turn to sleet and snow in places as it moves eastwards. There is the potential for around 5 to 10, perhaps locally 15cm of snow.

Bit dubious about this one as I think it won't push this far. Certainly very little northward push so far this morning mostly eastward. Time will tell.

Posted

Warnings are now slipping in quality again. Last we got the snow but no where near the depth and todays is again wide of the mark.

Outbreaks of snow will be heavy at times today giving accumulations up to 6cm in places especially over higher ground, before clearing southwards this evening.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 0826 Thu 12 Feb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I am surprised that a flash warning for up to 8cm of snow has been issued for Derby and Derbyshire at about 1812 as at that time it was obvious from the radar that any snow was confined to the extreme east of Derbyshire and counties further east, and was moving away.

Posted
I am surprised that a flash warning for up to 8cm of snow has been issued for Derby and Derbyshire at about 1812 as at that time it was obvious from the radar that any snow was confined to the extreme east of Derbyshire and counties further east, and was moving away.

What are your temps doing as ours rising extremely quickly at the moment. Yes the warning was a load of rubbish although netweather showed heavy rain/snow over us during the afternoon. Presume the national one did as well hence the warning. I can only presume the radar was measuring something else and not actually prec rate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
What are your temps doing as ours rising extremely quickly at the moment. Yes the warning was a load of rubbish although netweather showed heavy rain/snow over us during the afternoon. Presume the national one did as well hence the warning. I can only presume the radar was measuring something else and not actually prec rate.

Rising quickly here too, up to 1.3c now, from -0.4c at 1830. I noticed Buxton was at 2.2c around 1900 and is still rising at 2.6c now. Bradwell Edge is on 3c and the Cat and Fiddle at 0c, up from -1c at 1810.

Posted

I didn't really see the point of the Met Office's warnings today. Looking out of the window for most was a better use of time than looking at their website. Their performance over this spell has been patchy to say the least. Here in Northamptonshire they called it with about 50% accuracy, although the amounts in the warnings were grossly underestimated - unless you are on 'high ground'. I would like to see what they define as high ground here, because the highest point in the county is about 800ft or 240m. But whats the point of issuing a warning or upgrading one to include a previously excluded area, when in fact, like last Friday, snow had been falling heavily for a good 3 or more hours.

Today's effort by them was completely pointless, because there wasn't a forecast. In fairness the GFS did call the snow over Scotland initially at +48hrs but not to the extent it spread into Northern and eastern England.