Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Coloured cloud

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

We were in the car yesterday, I was cloud watching as usual (saw some lovely clouds) and one of them looked all rainbowy. When safe to stop Mr Moogy pulled over and I took these. It was fading by then though. Later on the journey I saw another similar looking cloud, kicking myself I didn't get a picture of that one.

Could this be a little bit of circumhorizontal arc?

post-642-1214247786_thumb.jpgpost-642-1214247893_thumb.jpg

Edited by moogyboobles

Posted

I am no expert on Clouds but that looks like a pretty nice Sundog ??

Paul S

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Evening MOOGYBOOGLES

Just had a quick look at my little book{how to identify weather} by Storm Dunlop {excellent book }

and your image does look similar to that of CircumHorizontal Arc, Page 121.

I may be wrong !

Nigel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
I am no expert on Clouds but that looks like a pretty nice Sundog ??

Paul S

I like that name! A quick google and it does very much look like one. You could see more colours before I had my chance to take a picture.

Posted

OOps mispelt , I do apologise {its been a long day]

nigel

Posted

Doesnt look like a sun dog, wrong position in the sky, they are normally to the left and right of the sun, not underneath it as those appear to be. Could be part of one of the many "Sun" arcs , either way, a nice example of alto stratus, with ice crystals. Looks ALMOST like a Nacreous cloud, but the sun is way to high for them to be visible.

These are some nacreousclouds showing irridescence I captured earlier this year in a little town called Geilo in Southern Norway.

click for larger

mcIMG_3437.jpg

mcIMG_3441.jpg

I have a whole pile of other Nacreous shots, but that is a bit off topic.

Edited by opplevelse

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

There just iridescent clouds. This websites explains it. http://www.atoptics.co.uk/droplets/irid1.htm

One more thing. If you ever see anymore try looking through sun glassesm, they seem to make the colours seem brighter, somthing to do with polarisation of light i think.

Edited by john2006

Posted
There just iridescent clouds. This websites explains it. http://www.atoptics.co.uk/droplets/irid1.htm

One more thing. If you ever see anymore try looking through sun glassesm, they seem to make the colours seem brighter, somthing to do with polarisation of light i think.

Yes you are correct. Looking a the pics again, they are certainly not sundogs, and I do not think they actually form part of an arc. ... and yes, polarising glasses will make them look pretty special, particularly if they are around 90deg away from the sun on either side.

-hijack mode on-

But for clarification the pics I posted are not normal iridescent couds. They are iridescent nacreous or polar stratospheric clouds ... they are far from "ordinary" and are a sight to behold if you get to see them! They are the highest clouds in the earths atmosphere, and last year i watched them from Gardemoen ariport, at 5pm at night, when all else was pitch black ... simply awesome to see

mcIMG_9440.jpg

mcIMG_9433.jpg

-hijack mode off-