Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What were these?

Posted

Here's a letter sent to the Chathan News of something odd seen in the skies

Sir - On the afternoon of Monday the 4th, between the hours of three and four, I witnessed a very extraordinary sight in the heavens. I have not heard of any one hereabout having seen it. The facts are as follows:- At the time above mentioned I was passing the Mill by the Waterworks Reservoir. On the gallery I observed the miller uttering exclamations of surprise, and, looking earnestly towards the west. On inquiring what took his attention so much, he said "Look, sir, I never saw such a sight in my life." On turning in the direction towards whcih he was looking, the west, I also was astounded - numerous black discs in groups and scattered were passing rapidly through the air. He said his attention was directed to them by his little girl, who called to him in the Mill, saying, "Look father, here are a lot of balloons coming!" In passing in front of the sun they appeared like large cannon shot. Several groups passed over my head, disappeared suddenly, and leaving puffs of greyish brown vapour very much like smoke.

I am, Sir, yours truly, James E. Beveridge, Darland, Chatham, Nov 13th 1867

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Is that possibly the earliest ever UFO account in print? I haven't seen an earlier one, I am not a UFO buff mind.

Regards,

Russ