Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow in February

Optimus Prime

Posted

Hi all, just thought a few of you would like to see some pictures which I found, these were taken in February 1991 (At Fleet in Hampshire) I do have some from December 1981 and April 1989 also but I don't know where I put them and the one I did find for 1989 is in a particularily bad state so not really viewable.

post-2762-1215638000_thumb.jpg

post-2762-1215638034_thumb.jpg

post-2762-1215638055_thumb.jpg

post-2762-1215638097_thumb.jpg

post-2762-1215638129_thumb.jpg

post-2762-1215638149_thumb.jpg

Edited by Optimus Prime

Posted

Good pictures (especially so for usually snowless Hampshire!).

February 1991 was the last time we had substantial (more than 12 inches level) snow here. It also saw the last long period (almost 4 weeks) of genuine cold and indeed days with temperatures below -5C. My mean temperature from January 23rd - February 17th was just 0.1C. Only 6 of those 26 days failed to produce an air frost with a high minima of 0.6C. The same period had a high max of just 4.5C.

In an age when getting just a few sub-5C maxima together is difficult, it seems like a different world.

Edited by reef

Posted

Indeed, that was probably the last true cold and snowy spell of weather we've had. Those pictures were taken on the first day of the inital heavy snowfall, the main road became impassible the next day and minor roads were buried in over 25cm in the end before a thaw set in 2 weeks later.

A few minor episodes in 1994 and Scotland got hit terribly in December 1995.

End of January 1996 produced a few days sub freezing point and so did February 1996, more memorably the ice storm and what was the last cold January we've had.

February 1997 was actually a pretty good spell of severe weather for the south, 5 days of very cold weather, freezing of ponds, lakes and canals. Since 1997 it's all gone pretty badly for the south, although towards the end of December 2005 it was notably cold towards the east.

Wonder whether the coming winter will give us something to remember?

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
February 1997 was actually a pretty good spell of severe weather for the south, 5 days of very cold weather, freezing of ponds, lakes and canals.

I'm guessing you mean the easterly spell from 30 December 1996 to 10 January 1997, which initially brought heavy snow showers to many parts, followed by a lengthy cold dry spell. Some parts of eastern England reported upwards of ten consecutive days of snow cover.

February 1997 was pretty mild and wet.

As for February 1991, it represents my first memory of snow, I remember being a bit too young to appreciate it fully back then, but I certainly remember sticking my hand into it and the snow being almost as 'tall' as my hand. That was in South Shields, but further inland depths of 40cm were reported. That was a classic case of an easterly spell that brought instability over the North Sea and widespread snowfalls.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Ive quite a good memory of the cold spell of Feb 91. Ireland of course didnt get as much cold or snow as Britain,but it was a memorable cold spell. On the 6th of Feb we started getting snow showers,although for the next day or so much of the snow thawed to my great disappiontment. On the night of the 9th of Feb we got a good fall of snow,i think the snow came up from France if i remember right. The next day was beautiful,completly clear skies and a lovely covering of snow with the max temp at zero. The following day however the Atlantic made its presence felt and that was it for Ireland anyway. The last day of Feb that yr we got a brief cold snap with some snow i remember.

Posted
Nice pictures, thanks for posting :huh:

Do you have any of the December 7th/8th 1990 snowfall across the Midlands?

Much of which fell as rain for the London and southern region.

The February 1991 spell in London would be best remembered for the streets being lear of people and cars, like you get in New York after days of heavy snow (with people using sledges to get around) but it was never that bad in London and due to it being powdery and so found itself being blown around and thinning out over time despite freezing temperatures.

December 1962 would be an example where would you need snow shoes to get around in London.

Edited by Optimus Prime