Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Abundance of funghi

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

Perhaps all the rain? Fungi generally like it wet.

Posted

My lawn - the centre court of the north, is riddled with red-thread, or whatever it's called, and it can only be because of the extraordinarily damp summer we're having, as it's fed, scarified and aerated twice a year (simply to survive the kids playing on it so much). I don't think it's been especially wet in terms of rainfall totals, but it's the relentless nature of rainy days which seems to be the cause.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

My garden is cram packed full of toadstools...how do I know? well there's not mushroom inside...... :yahoo:

Posted
....I don't think it's been especially wet in terms of rainfall totals, but it's the relentless nature of rainy days which seems to be the cause.

Perhaps it's been different in the NW, OON, but overall in England & Wales the first ten days of July were probably the third wettest since 1931 (after 1968 & 1988, and only a couple of mm behind the latter). I say 'probably' because this year's numbers were taken from the (?)unofficial/provisional figures on climate-uk.

But you're right about the relentlessness - though down here in the South East we escaped most of the endless rain you had in the second half of last month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds
so has the funghi explosion been a northern phenomena?

There is loads down here too. But it's common on the soggy Somerset Levels.

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

This year so far has been superb for mushroom enthusiasts! In April I collected no fewer than 4kg of St. George's mushrooms in one walk! (They made a delicious dinner). The field mushrooms are now out, as well as the puffballs, though this is normal. I found a nice collection of red cracked boletes today although they are not worth eating. I expect the chanterelles and (best of all) the ceps will be popping up this time next month rain-permitting, and then it really is time to start enjoying gourmet mushroom meals. Get picking guys, this year's a treat to be had!!!!

Edited by Yeti

This year so far has been superb for mushroom enthusiasts! In April I collected no fewer than 4kg of St. George's mushrooms in one walk! (They made a delicious dinner). The field mushrooms are now out, as well as the puffballs, though this is normal. I found a nice collection of red cracked boletes today although they are not worth eating. I expect the chanterelles and (best of all) the ceps will be popping up this time next month rain-permitting, and then it really is time to start enjoying gourmet mushroom meals. Get picking guys, this year's a treat to be had!!!!

my fear's picking the wrong ones but would love to try that

Posted
my fear's picking the wrong ones but would love to try that

Well I started as a total beginner with the same worries! I recommend the river cottage guide to mushrooms as a super starting point, I have used it almost on its own as a guide and I have never, ever eaten a bad mushroom! If you're careful and only pick the distinctive varieties (which include all of the best) then it's impossible to go wrong. It's amazing what treats there are out there if you know what to do. I'm no expert but I certainly enjoy a wild mushroom risotto straight from the forest once in a while.

Well I started as a total beginner with the same worries! I recommend the river cottage guide to mushrooms as a super starting point, I have used it almost on its own as a guide and I have never, ever eaten a bad mushroom! If you're careful and only pick the distinctive varieties (which include all of the best) then it's impossible to go wrong. It's amazing what treats there are out there if you know what to do. I'm no expert but I certainly enjoy a wild mushroom risotto straight from the forest once in a while.

i'll look into that book thanks Yeti :doh: