Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Thunderstorm 29th July 2008

Posted

mcIMG_3306.jpg

Looking at the charts this one was always on the cards (despite being completely ignored by the Norwegian Met office ... god damn they are hopeless). With GFS predicting a CAPE of 1800 and LI we into the positives, this beauty had been brewing all day. Temperatures above 30 accross much of Norway, and the warmest max for Oslo since 1955 the day before. Torrential down pours, but little wind and a fantastic light display ...

A few more photos here http://www.scandinavianweather.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=72

Cheers

James

Posted

Wow looks like you had a great storm there,fantastic pic how on earth do you get shots like that,i dont have a clue on lightning shots

Posted

yes some really good lightning shots there James, thanks, Norwegian Met O no good, oh dear, and I thought they were supposed to be very good.

Posted
yes some really good lightning shots there James, thanks, Norwegian Met O no good, oh dear, and I thought they were supposed to be very good.

... they might be good in cold conditions but I saw no forecast predicting storms, despite the clearly conducive conditions (allitereation at its best :) )

Lighting shots are relatively difficult. You need to under expose massively, and hope for the best. Most of the shots in the link above were between 5-15s exposures. the EXIF data should still be attached to the large versions if you are interested.

mcIMG_3327.jpg

mcIMG_3297.jpg

mcIMG_3273.jpg

BTW That is the Homenkollen ski jump in the background of the photos.

Edited by opplevelse

... they might be good in cold conditions but I saw no forecast predicting storms, despite the clearly conducive conditions (allitereation at its best :rolleyes: )

Lighting shots are relatively difficult. You need to under expose massively, and hope for the best. Most of the shots in the link above were between 5-15s exposures. the EXIF data should still be attached to the large versions if you are interested.

mcIMG_3327.jpg

mcIMG_3297.jpg

mcIMG_3273.jpg

wow is all i can think!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

Awesome images there Opplevelse. Love them all, although my fave is the last one where the cloud base is highlighted by the superb CC lightning.

Welldone on such great shots. B)

TA :o

Posted
... they might be good in cold conditions but I saw no forecast predicting storms, despite the clearly conducive conditions (allitereation at its best B) )

mcIMG_3327.jpg

mcIMG_3297.jpg

mcIMG_3273.jpg

Stunning photos, James

<JG>

Posted

Thanks all!

To be honest they are not really my best work. I was left trouser leged as a newt when i took them (I had just come home from a party) and probably under exposed a couple and over exposed the first one I posted ... Lighting photos can be a bit hit and miss sometimes!

Nevertheless, thanks for the compliments! For an antipodean, last nights show reminded me of home B)

Judging by the models we might be in for another similar night on Friday and Saturday ... fingers crossed!