Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

China Eclipse

Posted

Hey all, just thought i'd share some of the photo's i shot on August 1st with you all. So yesterday was "showtime" as we headed into deepest darkest Mongolia, It took us around 3 hours to drive through some twisty turning mountain roads in a long coach, i couldn't help myself & chuckled at the thought of Micheal Caine & the italian job when their coach was ladden with gold & hanging over the cliff, it all seemed to look so familiar with the surroundings lol. After going through several check points set out along the road by the police we eventually managed to get to our destination with 45 mins to spare. Set myself up & adorned the silly spectacles that these eclipse chasers wear & i somehow managed to fit in quite niceley lol. 38 C in the shade but i was out in the open with no cover so it was boiling hot (guess thats why deserts are the way they are) & the first little nibble from the moon against the sun appeared, it was all systems go & the new video camera was fired into action & still camera aimed at the subject. Didn't have a clue as to what exposure or focal length of lens so wasn't expecting any great results. With 95% of the sun covered it dropped down into a thick cloud (only cloud in the sky i hasten to add) & with it my heart sank, so close but yet so far. After the poxy chase season in the States this had just managed to twist the final turn of the knife & i was ready to kick my tripod over & have a hissy fit & turn the air blue but all was not lost as the sun carried on getting lower faster than the cloud was moving & it dropped below the base with about 30 seconds or so to spare before totality. WOO HOO!!!

I hope you like the pics, i know i have & cant stop looking at them

post-5916-1217673360_thumb.jpg

post-5916-1217673369_thumb.jpg

post-5916-1217673385_thumb.jpg

post-5916-1217673395_thumb.jpg

post-5916-1217673408_thumb.jpg

post-5916-1217673422_thumb.jpg

Posted

Great shots there Pete, i especially like the 4th one :unknw: i see you didnt set up the camera for any special settings. sometimes its probably just as well to point and shoot rather then complicate things. your results prove that :)

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Stunning shots Pete, amazing!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Those are brilliant Pete! you're so lucky.

Edited by James M

• European State of the Climate 2023 - Widespread flooding and severe heatwaves

The annual ESOTC is a key evidence report about European climate and past weather. High temperatures, heatwaves, wildfires, torrential rain and flooding, data and insight from 2023, Read more here

Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Chilly with an increasing risk of frost

Once Monday's band of rain fades, the next few days will be drier. However, it will feel cool, even cold, in the breeze or under gloomy skies, with an increasing risk of frost. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Dubai Floods: Another Warning Sign for Desert Regions?

The flooding in the Middle East desert city of Dubai earlier in the week followed record-breaking rainfall. It doesn't rain very often here like other desert areas, but like the deadly floods in Libya last year showed, these rain events are likely becoming more extreme due to global warming. View the full blog here

Nick F
    Nick F
    Latest weather updates from Netweather 2