Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Lincolnshire thunderstorm

Posted

I was out walking with my friend steph overlooking the trent valley when we heard the first rumble of thunder. The storm intensified very quickly with lightning starting to appear after the first few rumbles, steph said she thought the storm was roatating but until it got closer I couldn't be sure. I should have listened to her, as the storm got closer scud was moving up and down very quickly with one particular area roatating, it was like a meso. As the roatation moved over the wind increased violently eventually taking me off my feet. I was quite shook up to see my friend on the ground with twigs/leafs etc flying over the top of her. You can see by the trees before the storm the wind came from the south but as the roatation came over the trees swing violently to the west then the north. I had to stop filming to help my friend up, she had a bruised knee from the force of falling down but she was ok after a while. WHAT WAS THIS! could it have been a gustnado or just strong wind from the advancing storm.

Here's a video of the event (sorry about the small screen I'll put a full screen video on in the next week) http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=V-8t8_jS9hM

Posted

Wow, the fact that the storm has an area of scud with the rain shafts behind it makes me think that this might have been a weak supercell, I think supercells are like that with a rotating updraft base and a separate rain shaft with a 'vault' in between them, I saw something quite similar a month ago near Newcastle Under Lyme. :)

It also might be a gust front, I really am not sure I know what I am talking about, I wonder what more educated people have to say on this? :)

Great video capture and photos there. :)

Edited by jshaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Great pictures. The ones in the first batch are wonderful, they all look like the huge US monsters that people go and chase!

Posted

well the last few days have produced some great opportunity for some brilliant weather shots. your cloud shots are great WS. i particularly like the 5th and 8th pic, the contrast of near black and white works really well