Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Perseids 2008

Posted

Just a quick topic that the Perseid meteor shower is at its peak tomorrow night after midnight (and when the moon has set) but for many tonight is looking the best night to view them.

I will check the sky for them if it's clear after midnight tonight :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Which part of the sky is the best to look for them

Posted
Which part of the sky is the best to look for them

They radiate out from the area around the Constellation of Perseus, which will be NE, about 25 degrees above the horizon (from the UK) just after midnight. So look generally North Easterly and expect to see "shooting stars" that radiate away from the area you are looking at.

Naked eye is best, perhaps supplemented with wide angle, low power binoculars, as these fellas move fast, and only last about a second. If you are lucky you might see the odd fireball or two, where a streak of fire is left hanging across the sky for several seconds after the object has burned up in our upper atmosphere.

Probably cloudy here tonight (Glasgow) but here's hoping.

Tom

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice
They radiate out from the area around the Constellation of Perseus, which will be NE, about 25 degrees above the horizon (from the UK) just after midnight. So look generally North Easterly and expect to see "shooting stars" that radiate away from the area you are looking at.

Naked eye is best, perhaps supplemented with wide angle, low power binoculars, as these fellas move fast, and only last about a second. If you are lucky you might see the odd fireball or two, where a streak of fire is left hanging across the sky for several seconds after the object has burned up in our upper atmosphere.

Probably cloudy here tonight (Glasgow) but here's hoping.

Tom

Thanks for that

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

I forgot about the Perseids, thanks for reminding me.

Posted

Well saw nothing last night as it was so cloudy! But, been quite lucky to have some breaks this evening, which may continue this overnight for a bit before the rain arrives, I will keep an eye out again B)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

No chance here this evening, a veil of cloud obscuring everything, though there were breaks here too earlier and saw the yellow moon.

Posted

I have cxlear skies to my SW atm spreading across the sky! My prayers may have been answered! :lol:

Posted

Saw a couple before it clouded over, but I didn't have the best viewing position having to look out of a window. I'm hoping for clear skies for the Geminids now!

Edited by James M

Posted

Had perfectly clear skies for it here, but it seems like a weaker display than past years. I was watching from 1:30 to 1:45 am local time just now, and saw one moderately bright fireball. Often in the past I have seen half a dozen or more in that length of time. Oh well ... maybe next year.

Posted

May clear up again tonight for a small display, last night i saw 4 in all in about 40 mins, but that was in streetlit streets out of a window!

Posted

I saw about 6 last night.. but my window faces south (if i ever find the goon who designed my house...) so that probably harmed my chances.

Posted

According to IMO, activity peaked at 130 meteors per hour which is actually higher than last year.

Edited by James M