Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Doldrums

Cookie

Posted

I was watching a tv program called wild weather and mentioned the below.

The doldrums is a colloquial expression derived from historical maritime usage. The Doldrums (often capitalized when referring to the geographic region) is an area of the Atlantic Ocean and the Pacific Ocean affected by the Intertropical Convergence Zone, a low-pressure area around the equator where the prevailing winds are calm. The low pressure is caused by the heat at the equator, which makes the air rise and travel north and south high in the atmosphere, until it subsides again in the horse latitudes. Some of that air returns to the Doldrums through the trade winds. This process can lead to light or variable winds and more severe weather, in the form of heavy squalls, thunderstorms and hurricanes. This region is also noted for calm periods when the winds disappear altogether, or are light and shifting. Because of the unpredictable weather patterns, the Doldrums became notorious with sailors because this region's periods of deadly calm could trap boats for days or weeks on end as they waited for enough wind to power their sails.

I found it very interesting and intriguing and was wondering if anyone could give me more information about the effect or post and more links so I could find out more?

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Have you heard the expression that a person is 'in the Doldrums' which is when 'A period of stagnation or slump. A period of depression or unhappy listlessness.' Google it there is loads of info re the region/climatic set up etc.

BFTP

Posted
Have you heard the expression that a person is 'in the Doldrums' which is when 'A period of stagnation or slump. A period of depression or unhappy listlessness.'

BFTP

A bit like how I feel when deep snow or thunderstorms definitaley forecast for my part of the world and yet never comes to fruition.

Anyway... Moving swiftly on... :)

Phil.

Edited by Phil UK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
A bit like how I feel when deep snow or thunderstorms definitaley forecast for my part of the world and yet never comes to fruition.

Anyway... Moving swiftly on... :lol:

Phil.

Most winters then Phil? :)

BFTP