Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Invisibility cloak

Posted

Scientists in the US say they are a step closer to developing materials that could render people invisible.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7553061.stm

My personal opinion is that this is bad news; and the whole program should be stopped. It really is un-natural and open to abuse; and leaves me even more untrusting of scientists these days.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow
Scientists in the US say they are a step closer to developing materials that could render people invisible.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7553061.stm

My personal opinion is that this is bad news; and the whole program should be stopped. It really is un-natural and open to abuse; and leaves me even more untrusting of scientists these days.

It's un-natural to fly. Should we stop that?

Posted
It's un-natural to fly. Should we stop that?

Obviously you've not got the point I was making.

This technology is either going to be used for government control and abuse; or if it gets into the hands of normal people....blatant chaos and disorder.

Its un-natural too; although flying isnt un-natural for birds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!
Obviously you've not got the point I was making.

This technology is either going to be used for government control and abuse; or if it gets into the hands of normal people....blatant chaos and disorder.

Its un-natural too; although flying isnt un-natural for birds.

You could say being invisible isn't un-natural for things like stick insects and those thing that look like leaves, but I see your point, if the technology became widely produced there would be problems.

If they have some money to burn and they're just doing it to show what science is capable of, for a one off, I think that's fine.

It would certainly be interesting to see something like that in action.

Posted
You could say being invisible isn't un-natural for things like stick insects and those thing that look like leaves, but I see your point, if the technology became widely produced there would be problems.

If they have some money to burn and they're just doing it to show what science is capable of, for a one off, I think that's fine.

It would certainly be interesting to see something like that in action.

Well; i know there is camaflague...but this is different.

Just worries me though...even though they have only done it to 1 nano-structure.

Posted
Well; i know there is camaflague...but this is different.

Just worries me though...even though they have only done it to 1 nano-structure.

I think that if we can create these things then we should do it...people always look at the negatives of things they are unsure about. Why not advance ourselves...other technologies can come from this and it doesnt need to only be humans that become invisible, there are many things out there that i wouldn't mind seeing hehehe!!!!

Posted
I think that if we can create these things then we should do it...people always look at the negatives of things they are unsure about. Why not advance ourselves...other technologies can come from this and it doesnt need to only be humans that become invisible, there are many things out there that i wouldn't mind seeing hehehe!!!!

I agree. Think broader about the applications.

I live in the Lake District and there are a lot of people very much against wind turbines because they 'dont look nice' - imagine this technology applied them and how much happier the protestors would be. :rolleyes:

Posted
I agree. Think broader about the applications.

I live in the Lake District and there are a lot of people very much against wind turbines because they 'dont look nice' - imagine this technology applied them and how much happier the protestors would be. :rolleyes:

Or you could just have them offshore.

Posted

True but much cheaper on land and the farmer gets an additional rent income.

Posted

Not very cost effective though? Maybe we should just erect these turbines without the permission of people, providing its on council land...people want the best of both worlds, they want to see the pretty countryside, yet still want to drive their huge range rovers and pollute the planet...the world is a worrying place to be...

Posted

What about the shadow the cloaked object would be casting though?, Its still a solid physical object so if there was a shadow cast then it wouldnt really be invisible as theres a physical sign that something is there.

Posted
What about the shadow the cloaked object would be casting though?, Its still a solid physical object so if there was a shadow cast then it wouldnt really be invisible as theres a physical sign that something is there.

Yeah there wouldnt be a shadow i dont think, not claiming to be clued up on this topic but my understanding is that the light is being carried around the object,so i dont think its possible to create a shadow because the object would in essence not have a shape ;););)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Why don't the scientists do something useful and find cures for diseases?

I just cannot see the benefits from wasting money on this.

Posted
Why don't the scientists do something useful and find cures for diseases?

I just cannot see the benefits from wasting money on this.

There would be huge benefits from such a development. The technology works on bending light around corners which has huge potential not just in getting to light into areas not previously possible but being able to see around corners etc. etc.

Also imagine how useful it is to be invisible to high level radiation - all possible with this invention.

Let the scientists do what they do best and that's discover things.

Posted
There would be huge benefits from such a development. The technology works on bending light around corners which has huge potential not just in getting to light into areas not previously possible but being able to see around corners etc. etc.

Also imagine how useful it is to be invisible to high level radiation - all possible with this invention.

Have to wait and see how 'invisibility' is qualified by these scientists. Big difference between invisible across a wide-bandwidth for the visible light spectrum and invisible at a narrow bandwidth but opaque at others.

By high level radiation RedRaven, do you mean non-ionising or ionising which would still penetrate the material unless it was also exceptionally dense?

Definitely shadows at differing wavelengths would be created caused both by both the inevitable scattering and absorption. 100% transmission efficiency (needed for invisibility) is something very much part of science fiction.

The materials are likey to be very esoteric, difficult to manufacture and prohibitively expensive so confined to probably military applications for quite the forseable future.

Much the same as transistors when first invented, I could see applications within optical computing which if realised would make future generation computers ridculously small and fast by todays standards.

At that point, we may see materials coming to the mass market.

ffO

Posted

Oh yes...and does that include evil scientists like those who work for Monsanto; often in the pockets of governments.

Science is not always positive..and there can be untold multi-faceted costs and some things we are better off without. Try being less naive in future, Red Raven.

I think the scientists are experimenting already as I can't for the life of me find my car keys.............damn these invisibility cloaks.

Re an object projecting a shadow when cloaked.....what is the definitive answer to that as I am genuinely intrigued.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I reckon they should make Jurassic Park :D :lol:

Posted
Oh yes...and does that include evil scientists like those who work for Monsanto; often in the pockets of governments.

Science is not always positive..and there can be untold multi-faceted costs and some things we are better off without. Try being less naive in future, Red Raven.

:o

Only if you try to be less cynical. ;)

It would be sad world if nothing was invented and developed because someone 'evil' may use it. Reminds me of the silly argument for banning kitchen knives because someone may use them to kill - was the inventor of the kitchen knife evil?

Posted
:lol:

Only if you try to be less cynical. :D

It would be sad world if nothing was invented and developed because someone 'evil' may use it. Reminds me of the silly argument for banning kitchen knives because someone may use them to kill - was the inventor of the kitchen knife evil?

Now those 'evil' scientists have said the technology can be used to improve internet speed. It's really awful this progress malarkey. :lol:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7557280.stm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i wish they could invent a time machine..then i could go back in time and not read this thread!

Posted
Now those 'evil' scientists have said the technology can be used to improve internet speed. It's really awful this progress malarkey. :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7557280.stm

Its not the same as cloaking.

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
Not very cost effective though? Maybe we should just erect these turbines without the permission of people, providing its on council land...people want the best of both worlds, they want to see the pretty countryside, yet still want to drive their huge range rovers and pollute the planet...the world is a worrying place to be...

I don't have a huge Range Rover, or indeed a huge anything else. I have a small 1.3 litre car (which still somehow manages to seat 4-5 people and go quite fast!) that I seldom replace. I am happy to accept severe restrictions on its use, particularly in town.

But I still value driving sometimes to quiet, unspoiled areas of the country where I walk and fish; and that experience - an important one for sanity and spirituality (not to mention the money I bring with me) - would be much diminished by extensive wind turbine construction. And there are many like me - and many more who choose to live in the country because it makes them feel happier, and probably better disposed towards their fellow humans.

Not everyone who values a green and pleasant land is arrogant and selfish, YBY.

All of which is totally off-topic, sorry. I am inclined to believe that even if it became possible, such technology would never be cost-effective for cloaking big ugly things we don't want to see (wind-turbines have to be subsidized as it is). And besides, birds and aircraft would be even more liable to fly into them, so I am pretty certain it would not be allowed.

Like the scientists, I can see useful and broadly beneficial applications on micro-scales (if ever-increasing speed in everything is indeed beneficial). But on the macro level.....yeah, we're talking military, I guess, if it were ever feasible. But that's no reason stop the research.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Interesting article....though what purpose would it serve? If I had an invisibility cloak I'd steal from the rich and give to the poor Lol...plus of course play pranks. Apart from the fun and financial benefits (ie stealing) I can't really see a suitable purpose in society this day and age, maybe just the cause of more grief giving robbers and criminals better leverage.