Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2008 / 2009 Your predictions

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

yes! i know its a long time to go yet but it be intresting to see what people thing so.....

whats your predictions for the differnt areas of the British Isles this year.

Snow? Wind Storms? Rain? Mild? Cold? EVERYTHING!!! :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Cold with more snow than has been usual for the last 20 years :o

If its warm and boring again I am not playing any more. I will become a recluse and take up model railways in the loft(again).........and I wont put a Velux window in loft to see out, out of pure disgust.

Answer:- Cold!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I think you're about 4-5 months too early with this one. Any 'predictions' made now will be totally inaccurate at best. We don't even know what this summer will be like yet - although we know a lot more than if we tried to predict it in mid November!

Posted
I think you're about 4-5 months too early with this one. Any 'predictions' made now will be totally inaccurate at best. We don't even know what this summer will be like yet - although we know a lot more than if we tried to predict it in mid November!

As i said yes i know its a long time to go but the MetO are soon to release infomation about the winter and as i said it will be intresting to see what people think will happen its only predictions, yes we know nothing yet but its just a bit of fun with people placing there predicitons.

Posted

The spring has flown by actually, hoping the summer will do the same. Then autumn comes along, my second favourite season, and we begin the transition from warm to cool weather, hopefully leading in to a bitterly cold and snowy winter for the UK, and in particular, Northants. :o

Too early to make any realistic predictions, but I hope and pray that January 2009 will break the worrying trend of well above average January's. It's becoming utterly depressing as a cold weather fan to see this trend continue year after year. Believe it or not we haven't had a below average January since 2001.

Amazingly...

- There have been 48 April's and 4 October's since 1659 that were colder than January 2008.

- There have been 73 April's and 5 October's since 1659 that were colder than January 2007.

Having said that, January 2007 is only the fifth mildest on record going by CET, and the mildest was in fact 7.5C in 1916.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells
The spring has flown by actually, hoping the summer will do the same. Then autumn comes along, my second favourite season, and we begin the transition from warm to cool weather, hopefully leading in to a bitterly cold and snowy winter for the UK, and in particular, Northants. :o

Don't wish your life away! Only get one! Although I admit to trying to wish away certain months of the year - November & January especially.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

My guess is that either:

1. It will be a mild winter, on the grounds that most recent winters have been mild.

2. It will be the coldest and snowiest since 1995/96, because I will probably be in Exeter for most of it, and although snow in Exeter isn't unknown it does require a very favourable set of synoptics.

At this range, that's all I can come up with!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

obviously mild way above the average, frequent zonal stuff and no northern blocking, normal UK even larger teapot

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I have no real idea of what the winter will bring, however if the Autumn trends were carried into winter, then i would call for above average precipitation, but below average temperatures!

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

At the moment if this carried on were looking at a cold winter ahead of us. Its middle of June and last night it droped down to 2*c in this rural part!

Posted

Through October and November, all the pieces of the jigsaw will fall into place, SSTs, QBO, MJO, NAO will be forecast to fall thorugh the floor, AO will be forecast to fall through the floor, Dave Allen will predict a xmas freeze, John Kettley will start ramping, Tom Presutti will go for mild, Steve Murr will not be able to contain his excitement and Tamara G will rejoin net-weather.

Then on 30th November with a massive block over Greenland and the azores high ridging to meet it a shortwave will come through the block and so open up a train of zonality that lasts until mid February, with the PV firmly rooted to Greenland for the entire period.

March 2009 has the potential to be snowy however.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Lol Stu ... sounds about right. Given the apathy created by a long run of mild winters in recent years, I'd be suprised if anyone took any forecast for a cold snowy winter for 08/09 seriously right now! A long way from thoughts right now, bring on the humidity and thunderstorms!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
Through October and November, all the pieces of the jigsaw will fall into place, SSTs, QBO, MJO, NAO will be forecast to fall thorugh the floor, AO will be forecast to fall through the floor, Dave Allen will predict a xmas freeze, John Kettley will start ramping, Tom Presutti will go for mild, Steve Murr will not be able to contain his excitement and Tamara G will rejoin net-weather.

Then on 30th November with a massive block over Greenland and the azores high ridging to meet it a shortwave will come through the block and so open up a train of zonality that lasts until mid February, with the PV firmly rooted to Greenland for the entire period.

March 2009 has the potential to be snowy however.

Absolutely superb Stu....can we archive this forecast as it will be the most accurate.

BFTP

Posted

I was looking at the GFS ensembles for Aberdeen earlier, the ensemble mean never even touches the rolling 30year average, always below. I'll take that for the winter!!

Seriously, I'd bite your hand off if I was offered the same again as last winter! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Same as last winter, the winter before that, the winter before that etc..

Mild, wet and horrible. Typical British "winter".

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Same as last winter, the winter before that, the winter before that etc..

Mild, wet and horrible. Typical British "winter".

I thought last winter was a cold one really, so I will stick my neck out and make a rather propostrous forecast that we will still locked into the pattern we have now resulting in a colder and more snowy winter than of recent.

Posted

Average.

Fundamental factors (sunspots, star signs, the goblin at the end of my garden says so etc etc) tend to a below average pattern, but trends are for slightly warm than average.

Average the averages to get average; that's what I say.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

The current patern of Southerly tracking Lows will continue almost uninterrupted til Mid November with Wintery showers by mid month, then the Azores high will move in for December. A massive Euro high will have developed by mid January, the centre of this slow moving area of high pressure moving from the near continent, to over the UK, then back down towards the Low Countries. Then zonal for a while, more of the Euro high by Mid February and temps nearing 20c in the south by the 20th, cold snap in the last couple of days of Winter, this having been downraded from a blast to a Snizzle within 24 hours... :lol:

Edited by snowray

Posted

the winter setup we are (have)been getting since April will typically dissappear come 1st of november ,,,,,,when the summer pattern will kick in and the jet will move to our far north

Posted

I shall let my brass monkey sit on the fence and hope that it's b@*ls freeze off :)

Edited by BARRY

Posted
I shall let my brass monkey sit on the fence and hope that it's [email="b@*ls freeze off :)

"a huge greenland high will develop forcing vigorous arctic lows downward on a northerly airflow causing widespread prolonged snow events, and widespread chaos", i dreamt last night :) .