Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2008 / 2009 Your predictions

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

I predict we won't know anthing until 12 hours before it happens, and even then we may be wrong. :) Smiley added as only joking!! Intonation lost on screen sometimes. Am looking forward to last minute exciting snow potentials. Where's the warm of summer now? Maybe a cold, frosty and occassionally snowy one is on the way! (Winter that is, not the rest of summer...)

Edited by SilverWolf

Posted

Winter will be over posts by the 3rd December as we see awful charts but then after that we will get the coldest winter and it will make even the greatest winters look average. :)

Posted

I am optimistic about your chances for a colder than normal winter with some snow at least, in part after reviewing research index values, but also because of last season's ice anomaly rebound -- this is still being processed through the northern hemisphere and has clearly interacted with the La Nina event to bring widespread negative temp anomalies in regions other than Europe and the southeast US through the subtropical Atlantic. As conditions are likely to rebound to above normal in the Pacific basin this autumn, there is probably a fairly good chance of a flip-flop to a cold North Atlantic.

So while I am mindful of the past three winters' ability to minimize cold opportunity when it arose, in perhaps three different ways, at least there are some hopeful signs and I am sure there is a false sense of security among "even larger teapot" disciples that old-fashioned winter cannot return. Old-fashioned summer returned in 2007, so why not old-fashioned winter? All it would take would be the synoptics of mid-March to mid-April 2008 in the actual winter season, and results would be good.

The actual outcome of summer 2008 will not be a factor, I feel -- the more significant indication this summer will be the fate of the La Nina which should slowly fade to a more neutral condition. I am estimating the next El Nino for 2010-11.

The long-term decline in solar activity is also a promising sign in purely statistical terms. Certainly reserving the right to change my mind in November as the set-up becomes more clear, but mildly optimistic about cold now (not saying monumental cold either, just something a bit better than past winters).

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Evenng Roger

Im also going for a cooler winter

Full moon and last quarter mid to late december

Full moon December 12th

Last quarter December 19th

New moon December the 27th

First quarter January the 4th

Around December 12th , very wet and windy, with a extreme weather event {not sure where yet}

December 27th to January 4th , very cold

Im in the middle of doing my forecast , for winter, using this method

Alot of people will probably laugh at this theory, but its working for me so far,

===============

On the 15th march i mentioned to watch around June the 3rd, Look what happened on June 3rd

nigel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry
Plenty of this...

post-2786-1213819049_thumb.jpg

and this..

post-2786-1213819090_thumb.jpg

more of this

post-2786-1213819136_thumb.jpg

and extra this

post-2786-1213819175_thumb.jpg

But preferably in Dec, Jan and Feb NOT April B) B)

lol shame we couldnt get this>>>

taken in upper NY state and Vermont, USA Febuary 08 never seen so much snow it was brilliant lol looking forward to the time im in Canada.

post-7495-1213906965_thumb.jpg

post-7495-1213907077_thumb.jpg

post-7495-1213907151_thumb.jpg

post-7495-1213907260_thumb.jpg

post-7495-1213907367_thumb.jpg

post-7495-1213907515_thumb.jpg

Posted

Could be an interesting winter in the sense that those traditional cold lovers may once they see those energy bills come in be hoping for mild conditions. Regardless of whether the cold happens, with the projected fuel bills it could be a preety miserable one all round...

Posted
Could be an interesting winter in the sense that those traditional cold lovers may once they see those energy bills come in be hoping for mild conditions. Regardless of whether the cold happens, with the projected fuel bills it could be a preety miserable one all round...

Makes no odds, you can't change the cost of fuel anymore than you can change the weather, like many things in life, you just get on with it. I wont be hoping for mild conditions regardless of the price of fuel.

Edited by ribster

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

I agree. Regardless of fuel prices I would still prefer a colder winter. I think this year may be colder than the previous few years. Although someone seems to say that every year!

Posted

I think it will be colder than the last 7 winters but only slightly,with the 3rd to 15th of jan being relativly cold,then warm till the 28th when it will be really cold till 5th of feb,but then mild for rest of winter.I think winters will gradually get colder for the next 4-5 years and then we will have one or two very severe winters in the following 10years.complete guess work B)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow

I predict this winter will be in December, January and February.

Posted
I predict this winter will be in December, January and February.

Well that would mark a departure from the pattern of recent years in the south east: frost in March not January and snowfall in March and April but rarely in winter.

regards

ACB

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

I expect wide spread and severe "No" all Winter. Villages will be cut off by "No" for weeks and trains will stop due the wrong type of "No"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

As gas and electricity prices are expected to rise by around 40% by the start of winter I forecast, based on sod's law, that winter 2008/09 will the coldest and snowiest since 1979.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
I forecast, based on sod's law, that winter 2008/09 will the coldest and snowiest since 1979.

It might be, because I'll probably be down in mild Exeter for much of that season!

However, if recent years are anything to go by, it will be more like this:

December/January/February- hardly any snow at all.

Response: "Why can't we get any cold snowy winters any more? Or an annual CET below 10C? Miserable things these mild winters!"

March/April: A fair amount of snow, and the March/April CET is "only" 0.5C above the 1971-2000 average.

Response: "This is awful, it's spring now! We should all be forgetting any desire for snow and wanting warm sunny weather! Those who fail to do this are clinging to the past- move on, move on, move on! How dare you enjoy these late snowfalls! We are owed a May with a CET of at least 15.2C after this misery!"

In the meantime the oil prices continue to go up, 80% because of repeated strikes and panic buying, and 20% because of the peak oil issue.

Posted
I expect wide spread and severe "No" all Winter. Villages will be cut off by "No" for weeks and trains will stop due the wrong type of "No"

Not heard that one before! :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Very mild with frequent heavy showers & strong winds. Very brief cold spells.

Posted
As gas and electricity prices are expected to rise by around 40% by the start of winter I forecast, based on sod's law, that winter 2008/09 will the coldest and snowiest since 1979.

Good call. As you say.....sod's law.....it'll be grim out there. :D:(

(at least my log pile is stacked nice and high)

Posted
Me too !! Already chopping, sawing & stacking like a good 'un,

I can just see all the birds watching you chopping all that wood and saying (chirping ) to each other " beter eat plenty of berries boys, it's going to be a tough winter"; so a vicious circle is started...

Posted
I can just see all the birds watching you chopping all that wood and saying (chirping ) to each other " beter eat plenty of berries boys, it's going to be a tough winter"; so a vicious circle is started...

the theme for the latest met office models for autumn 2008 so far looks warm and dry, particularly in the south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well, that is a question! And one that I have not the foggiest idea about. I don't even know what next week will bring... :rolleyes: