Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

First Frost of the 2008/2009 winter

MAF

Posted

i recently saw that there was the possibility of a frost overnight in the far north of the UK and thought that it may be an idea to record where and when you see your first frost of the season. i realise we may see temps rise at the end of the month, and it may be some time for a frost to appear but even so felt its worth starting the thread now :)

Mods, feel free to delete if you think its too early for this.

Posted

well i did state this may be a tad early but then again :)

courtesy Met Office

Katesbridge (County Down) recorded a minimum temperature of 0.8 °C on the 13th July.

Posted

I'm not convinced grass frost will be that likely. Think about it, at this time of the year, the earth will be warm beneath the surface. On a cold, unseasonable night, even if the grass approaches 0C, it will start conducting heat from below....preventing frost.

Posted
I'm not convinced grass frost will be that likely. Think about it, at this time of the year, the earth will be warm beneath the surface. On a cold, unseasonable night, even if the grass approaches 0C, it will start conducting heat from below....preventing frost.

I'd agree after reading your note and thinking about it.

The recent water and wet ground will keep DP's up as well and prevent temps from dropping.

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012

July and August are the two months of the year when frost is unlikely, in the southern half of the UK at least, but not unheard of I wouldn’t have thought, on August 8th last year I recorded a grass minimum of 1.5c here, and the Rosliston station, only 2 miles away from me was even lower at 1.2c so it was close.

September is often the month to see the first ground frost of the season, south of the Scottish borders, usually after the second week, but I did record a grass temperature of –0.5c on the 4th of September last year.

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
July and August are the two months of the year when frost is unlikely, in the southern half of the UK at least, but not unheard of I wouldn't have thought, on August 8th last year I recorded a grass minimum of 1.5c here, and the Rosliston station, only 2 miles away from me was even lower at 1.2c so it was close.

September is often the month to see the first ground frost of the season, south of the Scottish borders, usually after the second week, but I did record a grass temperature of –0.5c on the 4th of September last year.

Paul

Any stats re first wide spread ground frost and then air frost in the south of England/Midlands ?

we were thinking of putting the heating on last night but wouldnt out of principle ,its the middle of August !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

I don't tend to get my first air frost until October. In fact, in the last 5 years the earliest frost has been on the 7th of October and the latest was on the 22nd.

Posted

Well this morning is the first morning since the end of June that i have actually had to wear a jacket cos when i got in the car i was shivering!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Normally the first air frost here occurs in the first half of October, however last year it was a little earlier in September.

Edited by James M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
Any stats re first wide spread ground frost and then air frost in the south of England/Midlands ?

we were thinking of putting the heating on last night but wouldnt out of principle ,its the middle of August !

Last year in the Midlands, the first widespread ground frost occurred on the 18th September, -2.5c on the grass here, -3.5c at Rosliston, and –1.7c in Horborne, Birmingham.

We then had to wait until 18th October for the next widespread ground frosts in the Midlands and on the 20th of October, the first widespread air frost.

Paul

Edited by Polar Continental

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Well, it was late October here last year, but the norm seems to be around mid November these days :lol:

Posted

The first frost of winter here is.....usually never. :lol:

Posted

Date of first air frost in Hull:

1982/83: 27th Nov

1983/84: 22nd Oct

1984/85: 15th Dec

1985/86: 3rd Nov

1986/87: 10th Dec

1987/88: 27th Nov

1988/89: 3rd Nov

1989/90: 6th Nov

1990/91: 21st Nov

1991/92: 16th Nov

1992/93: 19th Oct

1993/94: 16th Oct

1994/95: 14th Dec

1995/96: 6th Nov

1996/97: 10th Nov

1997/98: 29th Oct

1998/99: 17th Nov

1999/00: 5th Dec

2000/01: 15th Dec

2001/02: 9th Dec

2002/03: 19th Oct

2003/04: 7th Dec

2004/05: 19th Nov

2005/06: 17th Nov

2006/07: 21th Dec

2007/08: 16th Dec

The last two years have been the two latest dates for air frosts here. The earliest was 16th October 1993.

What is clear is that its getting later. 6 of the last 10 years we've had to wait until December.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Air frosts do seem to be much later nowadays but grass frosts do regularly occur in August over sandy soil, particularly in the North. I can't speak for this year yet but last August saw several grass frosts in rural Eastern Scotland. Places like Leuchars can get them and I know last year the Agricultural Research Institute near Dundee recorded several during August.

Didn't get an air frost until much later though. November if I remember rightly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Well although temperatures did get very close to freezing here last October, it wasn't until November 12th that the first frodt appeared so I'd say with our consistently mild autumns that the middle of November is a reasonable bet. It seemed that last year that the cold weather in October was also accompanied by quite a bit of cloud which kept temperatures up during the night.

Posted

It would appear air temperature at Loch Glascarnoch in the NW Highlands fell to 1.4c last night.

Posted

From my admittedly subjective memory , it's been down below 5/6ºC several times all summer at various central and northern Scottish stations - including during July. So I suppose the 'first frost' definition of 'winter' needs a bit of a clearer definition!

Posted

August can deliver ground frost in very sheltered parts of scottish highlands particularly if there is a cold surface high pressure close by with origins from a polar source, and even sandy soil spots in england can be prone under similiar conditions. However, wouldn't normally expect Scotland to record its first ground frost of the season until early Sept with england waiting until late September.

As for air frosts Scotland late Sept- early oct. Northern England mid - late oct, southern england late oct-early nov. As others have stated though in recent years many places have had to wait until November for their first air frost and coastal districts even Dec.

Being located in the far North of northern england I tend to expect the first air frost during the third week of October, there is often a spell of dry clear weather around this time before the traditional batch of autumn gales sweep through during the last week of October. This particular period of the year is one of my favourites and often associate it with that first air frost of the season.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

I dont get air frosts till about mid Nov or so. When i was younger i would get the them sometimes during the second half of Oct. The winter before last i didnt get one until a few days before xmas!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

It won't be too long in the Highlands under a clear sky. I would say around...mid to late September :o , so yes a tad early!

There are really 6 Scotlands for these sort of affairs:

Highlands, 1 or 2

Western Isles 6

South-West 5

South-East 3

East 1 or 2 (We all know I'm talking about Braemar)

Shetland and Orkney 4

Above are the order I reckon each will occur.

I would actually put a fair bit of a coin into ground-frosts happening in that order haha

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted

Down here we almost had an air frost last October when the temp dropped to 0.8C on the 18th then 0.6C on the 19th but we had to wait until the 12th of November when the temp dropped to -2.3C

The min air temp here this morning was just 5.7C so a few places could have got close to a ground frost I would have thought.

Posted
  • Location: Brue 30m amsl, West Coast, Isle of Lewis, Outer Hebrides
  • Location: Brue 30m amsl, West Coast, Isle of Lewis, Outer Hebrides

We had an overnight minimum of 4.5 C on the west side of the Isle of Lewis last night (Thurs)

Edited by Hebridean