Local
Radar
Pollen
IGNORED

Tropical Depression 11W

Posted

wp200811.gif

Storm Alert issued at 14 Aug, 2008 6:00 GMT

Tropical Depression 11W is forecast to strike land to the following likelihood(s) at the given lead time(s):

Yellow Alert Country(s) or Province(s)

South Korea

probability for TS is 70% currently

Yellow Alert City(s) and Town(s)

Cheju (33.5 N, 126.5 E)

probability for TS is 70% currently

Note that

Yellow Alert (Elevated) is CAT 1 or above to between 10% and 30% probability, or TS to above 50% probability.

CAT 1 means Typhoon strength winds of at least 74 mph, 119 km/h or 64 knots 1-min sustained.

TS means Tropical Storm strength winds of at least 39 mph, 63 km/h or 34 knots 1-min sustained.

• Replies 6
    • Created
    • Last Reply
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds. HATE:stagnant weather patterns

Yup, this very small system formed a couple days ago. It had a very small, tight circulation with a persistant blob of convection over the centre. It reached 30kts and never strengthened into a tropical storm. Landfall occured in South Korea earlier today and as the circulation is so small in succumbed very easily to the negative factor of land interaction and has now dissipated. It has brought some heavy rains to South Korea which may cause some flooding.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds. HATE:stagnant weather patterns
    I saw what you put in that thread only a few mins ago, sorry.

It's alright Cookie, I was a bit harsh on it not giving it a thread of it's own :o . Interestingly though, JMA never picked up on this one. Comes after a storm JMA picked up on but JTWC didn't, Phanfone. Funny how the two differ. Perhaps they differ slightly on the criteria for tropical depression formation. Who knows! I find it a bit odd.

(This forums for everyone so it's up to you what threads you make, no need to apologise mate :) )

Posted
    I just hope this thing doesn't give up clutching at straws here.

just to prove you wrong for no giving it a thread of its own :) :o

LOL- I've learnt to never say never with tropical cyclones :)

Archived