Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Aspartame killed my wife

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

I was sipping away at a soda drink just 2 days ago and the fella I was working with pointed this out to me.....its very worrying.

Posted

Why do people get a lot of headaches, infections, and other problems?

I blame it on un-natural modifications to food. Here is a very informed documentary on aspartame: -

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-566922170441334340

Posted
Appeal to antiquity? It wasn't all that long ago that margerine was considered better for you than butter... Though even at the time they knew what "hydrogenated vegetable oil" was - a trans fat, and had more than a few significant clues that trans fats are very very bad for you.

I'm not quite sure how this is at all relevant to the appeal to antiquity. Could you elucidate a little?

A very paradoxical view, with the link that Goatherd posted.

I mean, what do we hear these days. Example...

Well if you choose to believe the ridiculously broad interpretations of isolated scientific studies made by the media then you're inevitably going to end up confused. If you actually read the studies that these stories are based on then you'll find they don't actually claim what the media say they do.

Here is a very informed documentary on aspartame: -

Hmm.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

Edit : I've just noticed that this thread is in the science forum. :lol:

Edited by Goatherd

Posted
Hmm.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

Edit : I've just noticed that this thread is in the science forum. :D

Ooh yess, I'm sure all the people in that documentary get-off from scaring people about an artificial sweetener that has been strongly linked to their suffering. I bet they get off even more by warning you not to take a chemical developed by none other than Monsanto - a company which has genetically manipulated the very plants in our biosphere and has caused untold suffering to many farmers in the developing world.

:D

Posted
I bet they get off even more by warning you not to take a chemical developed by none other than Monsanto - a company which has genetically manipulated the very plants in our biosphere and has caused untold suffering to many farmers in the developing world.

AFAIK aspartame was not developed by Monsanto; it was developed in 1965 by a chemist working for G.D. Searle & Company. It wasn't until 20 years later that Monsanto bought G.D. Searle and thus the rights to aspartame. So what Monsanto's alleged conduct with regards to genetic engineering has to do with the science behind the safety of a sweetener that they didn't develop I'm not quite sure. Did it become more dangerous after Monsanto bought the rights to it?

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
AFAIK aspartame was not developed by Monsanto; it was developed in 1965 by a chemist working for G.D. Searle & Company. It wasn't until 20 years later that Monsanto bought G.D. Searle and thus the rights to aspartame. So what Monsanto's alleged conduct with regards to genetic engineering has to do with the science behind the safety of a sweetener that they didn't develop I'm not quite sure. Did it become more dangerous after Monsanto bought the rights to it?

Please be aware that Monsanto have been sponsored by the US government for a long time and have had close links with people in various administrations. Donald Rumsfeld was actually the CEO of G.D. Searle & Company which pressured the usage of Apartame into the market; as well as the fact that he also insisted on neglecting further scientific research into its affects.

http://www.communicationagents.com/sepp/20...o_of_searle.htm

When Monsanto took over Searle; they remarketed NutraSweet (aspartame) with a new found vigour and its usage spread to a greater portfolio of consumer products.

WASHINGTON - JUNE 25 - A new long-term animal test from an Italian cancer institute raises serious safety questions about the artificial sweetener aspartame, which is marketed generically as well as under the NutraSweet and Equal brand names.

http://www.commondreams.org/cgi-bin/newspr...007/0625-02.htm

This doctor also advises against consuming this un-natural sweetener:-

http://www.sweetpoison.com/

Posted

I have just had 2 weeks off aspartame for the first time in 15 years (having a litre a day of diet coke) and I have had the worst headaches and stomach aches. I used to think that there was nothing wrong with it but after this 'trial' I am not so sure

Posted

I would have thought that but I have substituted it for coffee as I need the caffeine lol. maybe the coffee isnt agreeing. I know its a floored example but it just seems strange

Posted

Coffee in some people (not that I drink it myself) can have a laxative effect if drunk in large quantities, I've heard. Certainly gets my husband 'going' first thing in the morning... :doh:

Posted
More likely the caffeine withdrawal is giving you the headaches. There's a lot of caffeine in DC.

Why assume so?

There is more caffeine in coffee and tea than diet coke. True, the caffeine can certainly have adverse affects...but the aspartame is going to cause symptoms as well as it has in lots of cases.

Posted

Would it not be the case that if Diet Coke has less Caffeine, than there is a possability of Caffeine withdrawl. Headaches from such withdrawls are common place.

I've never heard of removing something that is meant to have negative bodily effects, giving a negative effect once removed?

Edited by Shiny_Bottom_1