Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Earliest known theory that CO2 could be causing rising temperatures?

Posted

I have a lot of old weather articles that I haven't fully looked at yet and I stumbled across this that I have and I nearly fell off my chair when I read it.

Could this be the earliest or one of the earliest known examples of someone putting a theory that increase carbon burning may be contributing to rising temperatures?

The date 23rd February 1873

milda.jpg

mildb.jpg

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Well done Mr D.!

The members of the 'privelledged classes' would have had plenty of time and opportunity to peice together the climatic changes within the growing cities in the latter half of the 1800's.

Strange that with the dire descriptions of our beloved Manchester in the 1870's no thought to link the impact of the 'inferno' on anything other than the 'human condition'...........maybe Marx should have had some weather interests too..........

Posted

another interesting cutting from the seemingly endless data banks of Mr D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Seem to suggest the heat given out contributes to rising temperatures , rather then any indepth theory

Its funny to see someone from the 1873 talk about the old days with real winters :80:

Posted

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2008/05/01/...amp;Qis=XL#qdig

If you like digging through old literature, this site may may interest you. I picked a climate related article just for fun. I loved the little piece on the third page underneath the main article concerning the effects of fluoride in drinking water.

Posted

Have a look at what the winters did after he wrote this - colder to 1890, then warmer to 1928, then colder again to 1970 and now warmer. Gradual warming if you average over the whole of the CET from the start but we are still coming out of an ice age after all.

Looking at the winter averages from his 'rigorous' period, I didn't find them particularly harsh compared to the 1677-1770 period.

Plus ca change...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

am i reading it right?...is he infering that because more gas and oil are burnt in winter it is raising temperatures..kinda like a heat island effect rather than co2 emmissions?

by the way i assume mr data that you source your information from the times online archive???

Posted
by the way i assume mr data that you source your information from the times online archive???

No, that is from Symon's Meteorological Magazine. Numerous volumes of which I have.

Many of the Times articles that I have posted in the past are the Real McCoy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
No, that is from Symon's Meteorological Magazine. Numerous volumes of which I have.

Have you amassed your own personal library, if so can I come and camp out in it for a week or three please? I won't make any mess, you'll hardly know I'm there, I'll just sit quietly reading, promise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

wow..that must be a lot of effort on your part to find articles, scan them, then post them...anyway if any other members who dont have mr datas library and dedication like me..should join the times online archive...fabulous source of articles on any topic.