Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Daddy Long Legs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
is this an insect we're talking about?

Boris, my pet Tarantular absolutley adores daddy long legs, so he eagerly awaits for this time of year...I think he feels all his borthdays have come at once! :)

Posted

The flying ants have finally appeared this afternoon - it's the first warm and humid day we've had. There are only a handful, though, and they're more than a month later than usual.

Posted

I saw, I believe, a daddy longlegs earlier in our "summer" but none since (just as well or the dog/cat would probably eat them)

A few flurries of flying ants, a few around today. The odd wasp (all wasps are odd, personally speaking!)

Loads of bees and butterflies in the garden, cabbage whites? Rescued a few bees from drowning, I like bees so I try and do my bit..

hardly any ladybirds but plenty of vine weevils, horrible things!

And slugs but they`re present all year and in all weathers, so they don`t count!

Seen a few cheesebugs too but not many earwigs..

I`ve plants in the garden that attract bees etc, so thats why we`re inundated with them.

And a fair amount of hover flies..

Posted
Why was a daddy-long-legs talking to your cousin on facebook?

Ok, I could have phrased that a bit better. :)

I was speaking to my female Cousin on Facebook. Then because of these currently warm and humid evenings, I had the patio door open, this being about 11pm-ish, I get attacked by a daddy-long-legs, right in my face, swat it away, then makes itself at home on my LCD monitor. Now I wasn't going to mess up a £200 monitor by splatting it there and then so I flicked it off the screen and applied the fly spray.

Instant result. :) But I would prefer them to those damn moths!

Phil.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Instant result. :) But I would prefer them to those damn moths!

Phil.

It's funny people like Butterflies and hate moths. It's a bit like saying I suppose, I like humans but I hate orangutans.

Posted

I take your point there, Stephen. But butterfiles don't fly into your house at the merest chink of light at night, fly all around you when trying to do some work on your PC then go loopy and act like a kamikaze fighter pilot falling to the carpet.

What purpose do moths actually serve in nature anyway? Just to irritate humans on nights where the heat and humidity is so high that you'd literally suffocate without some sort of cool breeze entering from an open window?

Beautiful as they are some species, it's the smaller ones that are the most annoying.

Phil.

I take your point there, Stephen. But butterfiles don't fly into your house at the merest chink of light at night, fly all around you when trying to do some work on your PC then go loopy and act like a kamikaze fighter pilot falling to the carpet.

What purpose do moths actually serve in nature anyway? Just to irritate humans on nights where the heat and humidity is so high that you'd literally suffocate without some sort of cool breeze entering from an open window?

Beautiful as they are some species, it's the smaller ones that are the most annoying.

Phil.

hiya phil!!! :) I think I know the type of moth you are refering to,is it that teeny weeny type that fly in ever decreasing circles just in front of your nose that fly off like a jet when you try to swat them only for them to return just as you get back on with what you were doing?

Posted

Hi Hannegan. :)

Yep, those little brown bas****s. Plus if you do swat one, the dust afterwards left on any material you smacked it on.

Mind you. We did once have a barbeque with the neighbours in late July 2003 under a large gazebo. (When we then had something called a Summer! :) ) one flew straight into a lit candle. I know they are attracted to light but this one really did, well, out of frying pan, into the fire, so's to speak. :)

It didn't do that again.

Phil.

Hi Hannegan. :)

Yep, those little brown bas****s. Plus if you do swat one, the dust afterwards left on any material you smacked it on.

Mind you. We did once have a barbeque with the neighbours in late July 2003 under a large gazebo. (When we then had something called a Summer! :) ) one flew straight into a lit candle. I know they are attracted to light but this one really did, well, out of frying pan, into the fire, so's to speak. :)

It didn't do that again.

Phil.

lol, did it do the meschershmitt (sp)WWII style spiral to the ground with smoke trailing behind it?

Edited by hannegan

Posted

Not quite mate, more of a flash then ash on the ground. :D

It didn't even spiral, well, maybe a half hearted attempt to but not quite the ME 109 type that the Spitfires could do to them so well. (I've watched too many war films haven't I! :D )

;)

Phil.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

Is it me, or are they a bit thin on the ground this year ??

Normally have a houseful by now, but doubt if I've seen more than 2 this year. I like to see them about as they're a good harbinger of Autumn and all it brings.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Not seen any yet this year! I like to see them as its a good sign that autumn is on its way and the excitement can build for winter. Is there any reason why there hasnt been as many around yet?

Posted
There has been quite a few round here, I say has been because it is Ozzy's fav past time to pounce around after them and then eat them

Not had that many of them so far. My 2 dogs go mad for them when they see one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Seen a fair few round here, it must vary quite alot from region to region.

Posted

Seen very few of these so far, except there's one buzzing around the room as I type! ;)

Edited by Don

• 11 months later...
Posted

Well from seeing about 6 last year, we're full of them now. Caught about 8 last night, when I left the back door open :good::rofl:

Won't be doing that again......

Nice to see though, a good sign that Autumn's here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

Well from seeing about 6 last year, we're full of them now. Caught about 8 last night, when I left the back door open rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Won't be doing that again......

Nice to see though, a good sign that Autumn's here.

Not far away in warwick we have a few too, drivers the girlfriend mad.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Several coming into the house the past few weeks, but I don't think as many as the last few years.

Edited by James M