Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Seagulls

Mondy

Posted

Are they are problem in your area?

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2008/08/22111919

Once saw a bus runover a seagull. Chopped its head completely off. I remember the beak hitting the ground. Made quite a noise, like a tapdancer or something ;)

Bus 1 Seagull 0

Edited by Delta X-Ray

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Seagull population is a concern here too, usually there is a cull but ive not

heard of any for at least 5 years. In the main shopping area of our town the

gulls are swooping and stealing food from childrens hands only a matter of time

before a child is injured..... now wheres that gun!!!

Posted
I remember in Sunderland once; they postponed the demolition of a house because a seagull was nesting there.

;)

should have blown them all up ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

There are thousands near me in Swindon and we are around 60 miles from the coast! They roost on large warehouse roofs, how you they feed? Surely they eat mostly a marine diet?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

I hate it when they spoil my fishing trip, you reel one in and it gets stole by the flying monstrosity. Okay they are a nuisance, but what would happen if the seagulls vanished?....how would it affect us as humans?

Posted

They are a problem here, but mostly because the tourists feed them chips etc and leave take away food cartons/wrappers hanging out of the bins on the seafront. Sunday morning along the 'front is like a war zone! They also cr@p all over the Pier!

seagull.gif

Posted

That's why I have a cage for my ground feeding - stops gulls & pigeons getting at it, while letting the smaller birds (and squirrels - amazoing how small a hole they can get through really) through.

Posted

I hate them!!!! ;)

I used to live in Sunderland & the mess the bloody things make is awful, not to mention the fact they'll quite happily fly right up to your face & steal whatever you happen to be eating. As far as I'm concerned they're flying rats just like pigeons.

Posted

in ilfracombe and the rest of my area they are a huge problem which has been getting worse over the years. You cant sit on the seafront and eat your fish and chips or anything for that matter without them swooping down and literally taking it out of your mouth, and it is not just one or two its a hole load of them always reminds me of the film birds and to be honest is very frightening, I live just a bit inland and only get a prob when they come in if its rough out at sea.

There was talk of a cull, Cull the gull :D .. The thought was to remove the eggs, i remember they did something like that in the 70s and it worked for a while, but dont think anything has been done now for years hence the problem they are facing now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

I feel sorry for the seagulls :D but honestly it's humans fault that they are such a problem in the first place.

Posted

A lot of the problems with gulls in Aberdeen were solved by introduction of the wheelie bin. Removing black bin bags from the streets stopped the birds ripping them open and dragging the contents around the pavements.

Last year one of the gulls developed a taste for crisps so it decided to shoplift them. It would waltz into the shop, grab a bag off the shelf and do a runner with it. Made the news:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Seagulls?

I love 'em!......they go wonderfully well with a bit of horse-radish sauce, new potatoes and veg :D

Posted
A lot of the problems with gulls in Aberdeen were solved by introduction of the wheelie bin. Removing black bin bags from the streets stopped the birds ripping them open and dragging the contents around the pavements.

Last year one of the gulls developed a taste for crisps so it decided to shoplift them. It would waltz into the shop, grab a bag off the shelf and do a runner with it. Made the news:

Talking of Aberdeen:

<H1>What A Gullabaloo At Pittodrie

Aug 23 2008

Clydesdale Bank Premier League Spl Latest...

ABERDEEN and Rangers fans have been warned to look out for troublemakers at Pittodrie today - seagulls!

The scavenging birds have already made their mark at the SPL ground by dive bombing supporters and flying off with their pies.

However, Aberdeen are powerless to prevent further attacks during the SPL visit of Rangers.

Security chief John Morgan said: "Seagulls are a protected species so we've been told we just have to grin and bear it.

"We have used hawks in the past to scare birds away but we can't do that while fans are in the stadium.

"It's frustrating because the seagulls are becoming a real nuisance. The smell of hot food attracts them and they swoop on any that is dropped.

"I suppose it could be seen as a compliment to the quality of our pies."

LINK

Hawks 1 Seagulls 0

</H1>

Posted

There was one little bugger sitting outside my window last night making strange noises, sounded like it was crying the poor thing.

I live right on the river bank so there are thousands here, take a walk up the pier with a bag of chips and you get attacked. Mind you my friend and I stand at the bottom of the pier just to watch other people do just that and laugh. Poor tourists.

Edited by sammie