Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Heat tolerance in the summer

Posted

I find it interesting that my parents coming back from Turkey experienced 43C heat; whereas I have only experienced such a temperature in the greenhouse and I could only stay in there for about 10 mins before feeling as though I was going to pass out. My father had big problems in that heat, he's in his early fifties and fit and healthy; but sweat was pouring off him and he had difficulty walking around in such weather. My sister was just as bad; but my Iranian mother seemed to cope a lot better. This is weird...because my other Iranian relative hates the heat and has serious issues and prefers moderate warmth or cooler weather. I'm wondering even if its even possible to acclimatise at all.

I myself cannot tolerate the temperature if it is higher than 30C in this country; mainly due to the humidity. I do enjoy heat if the temperature is in the mid to high twenties particularly and I enjoy sunshine too. However, I don't see the point of sunbathing and staying still exposed to the sun without walking under a canopy of trees or shade can get me all irritated and bothered....its something I just can't tolerate.

So what do you regard as your own personally heat threshold? Do you prefer cool, rainy humid summers or hot dry summers and long exposure to sunshine?

Do you think heat is unhealthy for us and are we too expectant of high temperatures in what is after all a fairly high latitude and Atlantic-moderated bland climate?

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

During the 1990s I couldn't stand anything above 25C. However, since going abroad every year, usually to France, starting in 1999, I appear to have become much more tolerant, and these days my threshold is nearer 30C. Similarly, when I was younger, my ideal temperature range in summer was 15-19C, whereas these days it's more like 20-24C.

I note that I seem to be more tolerant of heat in France than in Britain (except in the middle of Paris where pollution comes into play). 32C in France generally feels similar to what 28C feels in the UK.

One of my French holidays coincided with the infamous August 2003 heatwave- days on end of 40C by day and 25C by night. I couldn't go outside in the 40C for more than about five minutes without feeling dizzy and unwell.

Posted

Well 3 weeks ago in France I did have to get out of my hammock in the shade and take my cold beer inside as I was feeling a little too warm! It was 35C and about 75% humidity.

Posted
Well 3 weeks ago in France I did have to get out of my hammock in the shade and take my cold beer inside as I was feeling a little too warm! It was 35C and about 75% humidity.

And to think that people have been running in the Olympics with that sort of temperature and the humidity! Heck...soldiers in Iraq fight in temperatures higher than that. It really is crazy! I agree that I would do the same....such temperatures are just downright unpleasant for the human body.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

I dont like temps over about 25c and especially combined with humidity. I havent experianced temps over that in 2 yrs since i havent been away since 2006 and last summer here and this summer here have been crap. However im heading off to the dominican republic on monday for two weeks,but at least i can handle the heat when on holidays cos you can cool down in the pool or sea. I cant sunbathe for too long cos i just cant handle it

Posted
During the 1990s I couldn't stand anything above 25C. However, since going abroad every year, usually to France, starting in 1999, I appear to have become much more tolerant, and these days my threshold is nearer 30C. Similarly, when I was younger, my ideal temperature range in summer was 15-19C, whereas these days it's more like 20-24C.

I note that I seem to be more tolerant of heat in France than in Britain (except in the middle of Paris where pollution comes into play). 32C in France generally feels similar to what 28C feels in the UK.

One of my French holidays coincided with the infamous August 2003 heatwave- days on end of 40C by day and 25C by night. I couldn't go outside in the 40C for more than about five minutes without feeling dizzy and unwell.

Thats interesting....you appear to have acclimatised to a degree. Although I wonder how much this is actually possible at our ages? I spoke to a medical doctor before, and he said that acclimatising the body to heat tolerance is best when you are under 18 or in teenage years. Genetics also plays a role to an extent, but not as much as people think.

I have been out of this country twice and to warm countries; but still cannot tolerate any 'real' heat because I just break out in sweat and feel lightheaded. And imagine living in London in the heat? It must be hell on earth.

Posted

I often think that the comfort level depends on what you're doing. For instance, 30c in the UK when you're having to work in an office and generally live life is often pretty uncomfortable, particularly when it's humid. Yet 30c on holiday when you're relaxing and can take a dip in the pool/sea whenever you like is ok.

I can't say I'd fancy 40c in any circumstances though!

Posted

experienced 40+ when out in the Gulf. but the humidity was quite low and the "dry" heat is more bearable. when i was out in cyprus temps were high there too but thankfully working to lunch-time everyday ensured we didnt have to worry about it as we were in the air conditioned officers mess by then ;);)

Posted
I often think that the comfort level depends on what you're doing. For instance, 30c in the UK when you're having to work in an office and generally live life is often pretty uncomfortable, particularly when it's humid. Yet 30c on holiday when you're relaxing and can take a dip in the pool/sea whenever you like is ok.

I can't say I'd fancy 40c in any circumstances though!

Very good point....moreso if you're at the beach or by a river\stream and can bathe in cool water. If you're in an office; there is no chance of such stuff.

Heck, my office at work doesn't even have air conditioning!

experienced 40+ when out in the Gulf. but the humidity was quite low and the "dry" heat is more bearable. when i was out in cyprus temps were high there too but thankfully working to lunch-time everyday ensured we didnt have to worry about it as we were in the air conditioned officers mess by then ;);)

Wherabouts in the Gulf were you?

Some parts of the Persian Gulf; port cities mostly in south-western Iran can have temperatures in 40's with humidity over 70%!! These are reports of relatives when visiting there.

I have yet to experience this elusive 'dry heat'.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
Thats interesting....you appear to have acclimatised to a degree. Although I wonder how much this is actually possible at our ages? I spoke to a medical doctor before, and he said that acclimatising the body to heat tolerance is best when you are under 18 or in teenage years. Genetics also plays a role to an extent, but not as much as people think.

I was aged 13 15 back in summer 1999.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
since when did 1999-1984 equal 13?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

heat doesnt bother me one bit... ive worked outdoors in 30+c and whilst its rather dirty and gritty its great to cool off, as long as i have water im fine.. i love warm air on my body..

its the cold i detest, i hate having to wrap-up, i hate cold pains, i hate my big hooter getting cold, i hate cold air in my lungs....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

I was unfortunate enough to be in France during the heatwave in '03 and it was murder. My car had a thermometer and one evening at 9:30 it was still 33c :huh: !

I was brought up in Scotland in the late 70's and 80's and became acclimatised to cool and wet summers with the temperatures rarely topping 25c, and cold winters where snow was common and the temperature dropped below -12c at least once a winter, ice on the inside of windows, frozen pipes, etc.

I've lived in the North East of England for 10 years and I still find the summers here too hot, and compared with Mrs A-M (who's from the NE) I have no difficulties in winter at all.

Posted
heat doesnt bother me one bit... ive worked outdoors in 30+c and whilst its rather dirty and gritty its great to cool off, as long as i have water im fine.. i love warm air on my body..

its the cold i detest, i hate having to wrap-up, i hate cold pains, i hate my big hooter getting cold, i hate cold air in my lungs....

I hate cold too tbh....curious thing about me is that I have a fairly narrow 'extremes' threshold in terms of temperature. Anything less than about 8C in winter I will turn on the heating, and in summer...if its less than 14C then I will turn the heating on too - which is weird. Yet I cannot tolerate 30+ in this country...so I have an odd sort of nervous system perhaps. Or maybe I've just adapted a lot to my local climate?

Are you a well-travelled person per chance? Could be why your more accepting of the heat. I mean I too like warm weather, as long as I don't have to do anything strenuous or not have to work. The BIG advantage of a very warm day though...which I actually look forward to and seems to (as you say) counter the disadvantages of all that sweating...is taking a dip in a stream under a cool wooded glade or in the sea. Still....that is a luxury, and even if I'm in the shade outside it can be unpleasant after a while if it breaches my own personal threshold.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

It also depends on how much time you get to get acclimatised too it. This year it went from about 15C to 22C which felt hot. Normally I like 24C with a fresh breeze which I find ideal.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
I hate cold too tbh....curious thing about me is that I have a fairly narrow 'extremes' threshold in terms of temperature. Anything less than about 8C in winter I will turn on the heating, and in summer...if its less than 14C then I will turn the heating on too - which is weird. Yet I cannot tolerate 30+ in this country...so I have an odd sort of nervous system perhaps. Or maybe I've just adapted a lot to my local climate?

Are you a well-travelled person per chance? Could be why your more accepting of the heat. I mean I too like warm weather, as long as I don't have to do anything strenuous or not have to work. The BIG advantage of a very warm day though...which I actually look forward to and seems to (as you say) counter the disadvantages of all that sweating...is taking a dip in a stream under a cool wooded glade or in the sea. Still....that is a luxury, and even if I'm in the shade outside it can be unpleasant after a while if it breaches my own personal threshold.

nope, i go abroad once a year for a week (its all my job will allow), ive just been an outdoor working for 36 years.. (gawd...that long!). i find strangely enough that when im not working im not so keen on the heat! but as long as i can cool off im ok, i dont mind getting dirty and sweaty... cleaning/cooling off is so pleasant.

Posted

I experienced maxima of 42c and minima of 31c in Turkey during early July 98. Obviously the heat was fierce and it felt like a furnace in the full sunshine, but as humidity was extremely low none of my family suffered any form of discomfort or heat exhaustion.

I remember sitting on the balcony one evening at 11pm and the temperature was still 36c. Oddly after dark it often felt a good deal more humid, oppresive in fact at times and I'd sweat profously despite little or no movement - apart for reaching for my beer that is... :huh:

Luckily on the 2nd week it cooled down a bit, but after that holiday I vowed never to be to tight to pay for aircon again.

Posted
It also depends on how much time you get to get acclimatised too it. This year it went from about 15C to 22C which felt hot. Normally I like 24C with a fresh breeze which I find ideal.

Same here....I wonder if Londoners prefer the high twenties?

I think also with regard to this summer...the main problem has not been the lack of 'heat' up here in my region. The problem has been the amount of days with cloud and lack of sunshine, temperatures below average of what is expected and above average rainfall. Taking today as an example, 18C is slightly below average daytime temperature although I reckon its average for further north of me at this time of the year. I think expecting a nice series of warm sunny days in the low to mid-twenties would be reasonable for this part of the world; rather than ask for strong heat-waves from north Africa!

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted
Where? (Oman? Kuwait? Persian ports, etc?)
oh, here and there mate. wont expand though :huh:
Same here....I wonder if Londoners prefer the high twenties? I think also with regard to this summer..................... I think expecting a nice series of warm sunny days in the low to mid-twenties would be reasonable for this part of the world; rather than ask for strong heat-waves from north Africa!
well i dont mind the heat here in London, but i know many who found this summer too warm. so not sure if geographics are part of it

Posted
oh, here and there mate. wont expand though :huh:

well i dont mind the heat here in London, but i know many who found this summer too warm. so not sure if geographics are part of it

What about when the temperature is 30C with high humidity and you have to use the tubes, or work in an office or walk in crowded streets back from work? I'd pass out.

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet

While out in the States earlier this year, we drove through the deadly heat of Death Valley, it was 39c, a coolish day for that area, I stopped the car to go outside, to experience it, 3 or 4 minutes was enough for me, it was like stepping in to an oven, hours later that day we had driven all the way to Yosemite, the temperature was 2c, I know which I preferred and had still just got my shorts on and tea shirt, but i only stayed out of the car for 3 minutes because i was froze :huh:

Paul

Posted
What about when the temperature is 30C with high humidity and you have to use the tubes, or work in an office or walk in crowded streets back from work? I'd pass out.
:huh: it just something you either get used to, or don't. my wife suffers terribly in the summer as she doesnt cope well at all with the heat, we have ceiling fans in all our rooms at home, and stand-up fans if its too humid and close at night for the ceiling fans to make a difference. i dont use the tube, but the trains are pretty much unbearable in rush hour. there was an initiative by ex-mayor Ken to paint the roofs of all london buses white to try and cool them down a bit by reflecting the sun off them

Posted
:huh: it just something you either get used to, or don't. my wife suffers terribly in the summer as she doesnt cope well at all with the heat, we have ceiling fans in all our rooms at home, and stand-up fans if its too humid and close at night for the ceiling fans to make a difference. i dont use the tube, but the trains are pretty much unbearable in rush hour. there was an initiative by ex-mayor Ken to paint the roofs of all london buses white to try and cool them down a bit by reflecting the sun off them

People should just strip naked when getting into the tubes, and then get their kit on again when they leave.

Problem solved.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted
People should just strip naked when getting into the tubes, and then get their kit on again when they leave. Problem solved.
:huh: