Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Heat tolerance in the summer

Posted
:huh:

Oh you mean body odour?

Well they could have a 'bucket bloke' who walks around with a bucket of cold water from a tank kept in the train and throw it over the nude passengers at timed intervals.

Posted

seriously though, the tube has been a major problem in hot summers. and the need to cool it down has been explored over and over again with no real success. i personally would hate to use it day in day out in the summer during rush hours. been in a full overground train is bad enough, sometimes so full you cannot move off the spot you are standing on for most of your journey. my idea would be to pump very cold water through pipes and run fans over the pipes every 10 metres or so, the cold from the pipes would be blown along the tunnels then

Posted
seriously though, the tube has been a major problem in hot summers. and the need to cool it down has been explored over and over again with no real success. i personally would hate to use it day in day out in the summer during rush hours. been in a full overground train is bad enough, sometimes so full you cannot move off the spot you are standing on for most of your journey. my idea would be to pump very cold water through pipes and run fans over the pipes every 10 metres or so, the cold from the pipes would be blown along the tunnels then

I understand your point; and I guess it would increase the fuel consumption of the train to power the pumps. Although some form of heat-exchange or heat-pipe technology where the heat is dissipated to a sort of container at the end of the train would be okay. I mean; people complain that this would heat up the tunnels...but really most of the maintenance is done at night when its cooler and nobody is there. Most people suffer when they are in the carriages themselves and they don't linger for too long when in the stations.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I'm much more tolerant to heat than to cold although I can cope with both better than others who complain if the temp falls outside the confort zone of 15-23c.

My collegue is from Cameroon and of course loves the heat and dispises the cold complaining whenever the temp is below 20c. He tells me of football being played under the midday sun in temps of 40+ back home. He'll also just sit in direct sunlight sleeping whenever we get hot weather here whereas I couldn't stand that. I like general warmth rather than being burnt by the sun. The best part of summer for me is always warm nights - warmer the better for me!

I like the atmosphere generated by heat & humidity - the outside culture, the freedom to have windows open all the time - a more continental feeling. It's no fun being stuck inside all the time - something I'm not looking forward to in the next few months...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I recall a MasterChef program where the contestants were cooking in temperatures of 50C. I don't know how they managed it, considering that I felt ill after just five minutes outside in 40C, and I wasn't dashing around cooking stuff!

The main problem with 30C and working in offices arises from the poor air conditioning in many office units (I've heard all kinds of stories about them putting air conditioning on when it's not needed and vice versa!) such that it might be 30C outside but nearer 40C in the office. In that case, whether you can tolerate 30C or not is a moot point as that's not the temperature you're feeling in the office! The situation used to be worse than it is now, though, with many offices in Summer 1976 exceeding 50C when the outdoor temp was short of 30C.

Posted

Well this summer hasn`t been too warm has it???

As for something like physical work for instance firstly in winter on a coldish 7c windy day in winter well at least then when you feel cold you can get warm but if you were to just standing around at say a outside sale all day in an exposed place it`s like brass monkeys after a while :huh: , but warm to hot days in the summer now that is most uncomfortable 18/20c+ working in,and another thing people say about the heat in this country is the amount of humidity, as if you went say to spain the heat there isn`t uncomfortable not as I`ve been there to experience it.

Posted
I recall a MasterChef program where the contestants were cooking in temperatures of 50C. I don't know how they managed it, considering that I felt ill after just five minutes outside in 40C, and I wasn't dashing around cooking stuff!

The main problem with 30C and working in offices arises from the poor air conditioning in many office units (I've heard all kinds of stories about them putting air conditioning on when it's not needed and vice versa!) such that it might be 30C outside but nearer 40C in the office. In that case, whether you can tolerate 30C or not is a moot point as that's not the temperature you're feeling in the office! The situation used to be worse than it is now, though, with many offices in Summer 1976 exceeding 50C when the outdoor temp was short of 30C.

Thats very bad and actually illegal...as employers are actually legally required to ensure staff are not too hot and to fall within a certain temperature range.

Posted

There's a few factors that sway it for me, obviously humidity is one. I find desert heat OK really, almost regardless of the temperature (I'm talking Arizona as opposed to Persian Gulf). Any tropical climate in the wet season is insufferable though. Even if it only gets to 32C, with dewpoints around 23C that's just unbearable. The other factor is if you're in the sun or in the shade. If I'm out in the sun, I find 23C pretty bad. Having said that, if it gets to about 17C in mid Spring that can be painful also. Back in the UK the sun was much weaker and it would be more like 30C for my tolerance.

The tropics in the dry season are reasonable enough for me, and quite good because of the decent diurnal variation (assuming you're not on a tiny island).

I really think anything over 30C is pointless.

Posted
Thats very bad and actually illegal...as employers are actually legally required to ensure staff are not too hot and to fall within a certain temperature range.
actually you may be wrong there. the ruling is (as far as i am aware) that there is no upper temperature limit in the workplace. the employer is bound to ensure that employees are given adequate breaks, a change in environment, cold drinks supplied, etc. etc. and made as comfortable as possible. but thats as far as it goes. funnily enought there is a limit for low temperatures where the employees can be allowed home

just found this

from HSE.GOV.UK

What is the maximum/minimum temperature in the workplace?

The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 lay down particular requirements for most aspects of the working environment

Regulation 7 of these Regulations deals specifically with the temperature in indoor workplaces and states that:

During working hours, the temperature in all workplaces inside buildings shall be reasonable.

However, the application of the regulation depends on the nature of the workplace i.e. a bakery, a cold store, an office, a warehouse.

The associated ACOP goes on to explain:

‘The temperature in workrooms should provide reasonable comfort without the need for special clothing. Where such a temperature is impractical because of hot or cold processes, all reasonable steps should be taken to achieve a temperature which is as close as possible to comfortable. 'Workroom' means a room where people normally work for more than short periods.

The temperature in workrooms should normally be at least 16 degrees Celsius unless much of the work involves severe physical effort in which case the temperature should be at least 13 degrees Celsius. These temperatures may not, however, ensure reasonable comfort, depending on other factors such as air movement and relative humidity.’

Where the temperature in a workroom would otherwise be uncomfortably high, for example because of hot processes or the design of the building, all reasonable steps should be taken to achieve a reasonably comfortable temperature, for example by:

insulating hot plants or pipes;

providing air-cooling plant;

shading windows;

siting workstations away from places subject to radiant heat.

Where a reasonably comfortable temperature cannot be achieved throughout a workroom, local cooling should be provided. In extremely hot weather fans and increased ventilation may be used instead of local cooling.

Where, despite the provision of local cooling, workers are exposed to temperatures which do not give reasonable comfort, suitable protective clothing and rest facilities should be provided. Where practical there should be systems of work (for example, task rotation) to ensure that the length of time for which individual workers are exposed to uncomfortable temperatures is limited.

References

L24, Workplace health, safety and welfare, (ISBN 0 7176 0413 6 - available from HSE Books)

Thermal comfort microsite

I'm not that good, when in Greece this summer (Look at Avatar photo), I found the heat oppressive even though the shade temp was only 28c, however it clearly would have been much worse in the direct sunlight. One day in particular I felt ill for quite a few hours.

However when around the beach with a cooling breeze I felt much better.

Posted

The only heat tolerance I have is for vindaloo and phall curries. As for weather,once 23C and upwards appear on the charts I break out in a cold sweat.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I can tolerate the heat, but tolerate is the operative word as, in summer, I'm more than happy with an upper limit of about 17c and, ideally, 13-15c.

Like Mushyman, I've worked outdoors all my life, often doing heavy physical work, through all the hottest summers in the last 40 years or so without any problem, but whereas in my 20s and 30s I revelled in the heat as much as the cold, I now find working in the heat wearing.

Give me a July day of low cloud, thick drizzle and a temperature of 15c and I'm happy.

As for cold, I suppose it's on a par with women and childbirth. I've been so cold I've been barely able to move or speak and would have paid good money for the temperature to rise 15 degrees but the memory soon fades and I always come back for more.

1947, 1963, 1684, yes please!

Posted

I generally do not mind hot weather. I have found age (I'm in my mid-fifties) has not had much impact on my heat tolerance levels (although I am pretty fit - I run 3-4 miles most days). I go to central Europe most years in June and find the temps of 30-33c very agreeable. I do have a little giggle when I hear people say that anything above 23/24c is uncomfortable. I came off the M6 at the Tebay services in Cumbria last month and was amazed to find the girls at the cash register complaining about the heat. It must have been 21C that day.

But I have been in the Persian Gulf when it is in the high-40s and that's something else. You walk out of the hotel and it's like an industrial hair dryer - the wind is actually burning.

As for cold weather, I don't have a problem really with that either. You can just add another layer.

Edited by Nick H

Posted
I do have a little giggle when I hear people say that anything above 23/24c is uncomfortable.

Yes go on,have a laugh at me 'cos I'm a wimp! Only kidding,but on the other hand I can tolerate cold which leaves others frozen to the spot with chattering teeth. I wonder if my almost lifelong adventures in motorcycling and camping have hardened me to cold in the way that those from sunnier climes don't feel the heat? It can't be anything to do with my weight (I'm nearly 6ft tall and a lithe 11 and a bit stones). Mind you,growing up in a poor family the only heating in the house was one open fire in the living room. Anyone remember going to bed with ice on the inside of the window? Being cold seemed to be a way of life back then in the winter - you got used to it to the point of not noticing it(?!). Boy have we been spoiled and lulled into the comfort zone of late!

Posted
Yes go on,have a laugh at me 'cos I'm a wimp! Only kidding,but on the other hand I can tolerate cold which leaves others frozen to the spot with chattering teeth. I wonder if my almost lifelong adventures in motorcycling and camping have hardened me to cold in the way that those from sunnier climes don't feel the heat? It can't be anything to do with my weight (I'm nearly 6ft tall and a lithe 11 and a bit stones). Mind you,growing up in a poor family the only heating in the house was one open fire in the living room. Anyone remember going to bed with ice on the inside of the window? Being cold seemed to be a way of life back then in the winter - you got used to it to the point of not noticing it(?!). Boy have we been spoiled and lulled into the comfort zone of late!

Did you not have a radiator or something?

That sounds like parental neglect to me.

Posted

When we were growing up, central heating was not common. We had one fire in the living room with a boiler behind it for the household hot water. No radiators.

Edited to mention that I was born in '65. We moved for the last time (before I left home) the year I started at sixth form college - the new house had central heating....bliss!

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Until i was 17 we had no central heating but we did have radiaters. We use to use a superser alot in the morning in winter,they were very handy

Posted

I find heat no problem generally, here in Britain it can be worse as it's often humid heat whereas i can go to France have 35 deg heat and it be fine to walk about in all day.

PP the people who had ice on the inside of there windows won't of had double glazing, and no i'm not trying to sell it.

Posted

On 19th July it reached 30C in my back garden, the warmest temperature I've recorded. Spent the day at the beach and felt quite cool, but back home it was decidedly uncomfortable and even felt a bit unwell for a time. I think with insulation et. al our houses are built for retaining winter heat rather than staying cool in the summer, and that's fair enough in a climate like this - 6-7 months of staying warm compared with maybe only 2-4 weeks of trying to keep cool (and that's in a good year!)

So I would say an outdoor temp of 30C is about my threshold.

Posted

I'm lucky enough to not feel the cold at all .. but do sweat buckets in the heat, as a few have mentioned it's the type of heat I think and the situation you find your self in, I was lucky enough to do a cruise around the Med from Southampton last Summer and I thought it was 'hot' on the way through the Bay of Biscay but waking up in Gibraltar after 2 days at sea the doors opened and the real heat hit you it took your breath away but over the 2 weeks my body 'adapted' some how and I stopped sweating buckets and the heat became more than bearable ... then the trip back across the Bay of Biscay was chilly ;)

As for the Tube ... spent a week on business down in London and although a regular visitor I've never experienced it has hot/uncomfortable, nothing like having a twenty year old girls hairy armpit in your face on the Northern Line smelling like a tin of deodorant was just a distant memory ;) ... You would have thought some clever bod can think of an energy efficient way of cooling the carriages down .. like all solutions it will be about cost !

KjF

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

My prefernce is to only have heat over 26C if I am by a pool with somewhere [very] nearby serving cold drinks. I have experienced 45C but can't say that I enjoyed it even if the humidity was low. However I can tolerate a bit of heat during the day but a warm humid night just puts me right off. Here when I am working anything between 18C and 24C is fine.

I was brought up in the late fifties / sixties and can relate to the ice inside the windows stories. I remember once finding the water in the washing basin frozen in the kitchen. We only had coal fires backed up by a parafin heater and one electric fire in the living room. You had to be quick getting out of bed in the morning and put your clothes on at double time to avoid being frozen.

Having said what I did about the heat I am off to the Canaries for a fortnight next month and will probably really enjoy it big style [see pool and drinks above] despite a moan or two about the overnight heat.

Heat nor cold really bother in the midlands, it rarely reaches 30C in the west midlands and it very rarely is so cold to be uncomfortable in the winter, i very rarely have central heating on in the winter even when its cold, i prefer the feel of cold to artificial heat central heating gives out.