Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Crane flies

*AL*

Posted

Had one come into the house last night, September is the traditional month for them but they do seem a bit early this year?Earlier this year there were a few about which is very strange to see, anyone else notice any? I think this year we are going to see a 'glut' of them, similar to a couple of years ago when there were thousands around here.

Your thoughts? Does excess rainful help their breeding cycle?

Posted
Had one come into the house last night, September is the traditional month for them but they do seem a bit early this year?Earlier this year there were a few about which is very strange to see, anyone else notice any? I think this year we are going to see a 'glut' of them, similar to a couple of years ago when there were thousands around here.

Your thoughts? Does excess rainful help their breeding cycle?

yes it does!!!

Nasty creatures...Kill them all.....The pupae are Leather jackets that destroy your grass...Large grubs that eat the roots....

Long grass and wet grass are a breeding ground

Posted

I think it was last year, about mid July when I saw a cranefly. But being a wet 'Summer' (Probably an understatement for some parts of the UK!) I'm not surprised that they are coming about earlier than usual.

And that reminds me also. Anyone also noticed the lack of crickets thripping away this year. I haven't heard a single one this year at all where I live. :) Nor did I see many flying ants which is the norm in mid to late July but temperature and humidity has to be pretty much spot on before they take off for pastures new. (They seem to love block paving! :) )

Phil.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

I hadn't noticed any until today when one leapt up in front of the lawn mower. But that was it, only one.

I don't particularly like the creatures, they're annoying when they get inside and aimlessly fly around the house.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Hate the things, can't sit down of an evening with the lights on and windows open without being swarmed by them. Hope we have an early sharp frost to kill them off quickly.

Posted
may be off topic(well is tbh) but I saw a dragon fly today,beautiful but would be a nuisance in the house,by gum it was a fast beggar :o

seen a lot of them this year

Posted
Hate the things, can't sit down of an evening with the lights on and windows open without being swarmed by them. Hope we have an early sharp frost to kill them off quickly.

Yeah i hate the bloody things aswell :o

Posted

Could be worse gents (and ladies too!) Imagine if it were mayflies invading your bedroom. Would be like having a four winged mini Cessna buzzing about at night.

Let's not go there though eh.

Phil. :o

Could be worse gents (and ladies too!) Imagine if it were mayflies invading your bedroom. Would be like having a four winged mini Cessna buzzing about at night.

Let's not go there though eh.

Phil. :o

I had a tickle on my leg one night,thought i was in luck till it turned out to be an earwig in the bed eeeeeeeeeeek

Posted
I had a tickle on my leg one night,thought i was in luck till it turned out to be an earwig in the bed eeeeeeeeeeek

:o

Posted

Oh dear :o

Posted
I had a tickle on my leg one night,

Steady Phil. ;)

thought i was in luck till it turned out to be an earwig in the bed eeeeeeeeeeek

They must be the most ugliest insects on the planet. I mean what do they do and serve? Apart from looking like natures splinter removers. What exactly do they do?

Lift up, for example a brick that has been lying there for ages, millions of the pincer pinching gits that scurry off. It's like moths. What the ferk do they actually do and serve in nature apart from annoy us humans??

I'm off to do some research on this... Watch out Wikipedia... I'm on my way. :D

Phil.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Such blood thirsty people on here :lol: , I happen to be fascinated in insects including crane flies. I don't think they are particularly early seeing as there are many different species that come out at different times of the year, perhaps there are more of them again this year and so are more noticable.

Posted

Earlier this afternoon I grabbed my towel from the rail after having a shower and, in watery-eyed blinking state, saw something jump from the towel and felt it land on my left leg. I'm not scared of insects/spiders and, after quickly drying my eyes, found a beautiful, large, bright green cricket :) on my leg*.

It had obviously been attracted to the green towel and I'm glad it jumped off before potentially being squashed dead during my drying process!

(*nearest I've been to pulling for months :) )

Posted

Apparantly adult Craneflies can't eat but can sip water to stay alive.Also wasps have a huge effect on the yearly number of them as they eat the grubs.

• 2 weeks later...