Cold?
IGNORED

Hurricane Gustav Pt II

Posted

gustavSep1.jpg

Hanna is looking impressive also :lol:

Mad nutters driving about!

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/the-storm-report-live

Edit: they're just driving about Houma, almost drove over downed power line, jeez. lol, crazy..

Here's another good live stream: http://edition.cnn.com/video/live/live.html?stream=stream1

Edited by Delta X-Ray

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Thanks for those links, looks like the storm is becoming weaker winds wise now at Category 2 but still plenty of rainfall to come with the risk of tornadoes.

Edited by Marcus_surfer

Posted

...GUSTAV WEAKENS TO A CATEGORY TWO HURRICANE...EYEWALL MOVING ONTO

THE SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA COAST...

A HURRICANE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM JUST EAST OF HIGH ISLAND

TEXAS EASTWARD TO THE MISSISSIPPI-ALABAMA BORDER...INCLUDING THE

CITY OF NEW ORLEANS AND LAKE PONTCHARTRAIN. PREPARATIONS TO PROTECT

LIFE AND PROPERTY SHOULD HAVE BEEN COMPLETED.

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM EAST OF THE

MISSISSIPPI-ALABAMA BORDER TO THE OCHLOCKONEE RIVER.

FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...INCLUDING POSSIBLE

INLAND WATCHES AND WARNINGS...PLEASE MONITOR PRODUCTS ISSUED

BY YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE.

AT 800 AM CDT...1300Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE GUSTAV WAS LOCATED

NEAR LATITUDE 28.9 NORTH...LONGITUDE 90.4 WEST OR ABOUT 80 MILES...

125 KM...SOUTH-SOUTHWEST OF NEW ORLEANS LOUISIANA AND ABOUT 130

MILES...210 KM...SOUTHEAST OF LAFAYETTE LOUISIANA. THIS POSITION

IS ALSO ABOUT 20 MILES...35 KM...SOUTHWEST OF PORT FOURCHON ALONG

THE LOUISIANA COAST.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Local live TV reporting Gustav is moving west at approx. 13-15 mph but hugging the coast rather than moving inland. 75% of the system is still over the sea and the eastern eyewall is regenerating. They are concerned by this current situation. They are expecting NHC to issue a bulletin in the next 20 minutes reflecting this. Tornado alerts popping up regularly now as are reports of power failures. Thankfully no reports of major flooding atm.

Posted

they are saying now that they think the storm will stall as it comes inland the rain that that will produce will be terrible someone on fox mentioned the rainfall could reach 2ft WOW what with the storm surge and the rainfall its going to be devastating This storm also seems to be producing a large amount of tornadoes. Poor things are getting a battering from mother nature. So who thinks those levies are going to hold?

kaz

Posted

re: levees

I'd dare say I am sure most will be just fine, but might be a few breaks in 1-3 places. Depends on whether the breaks are in the worse areas. Of course, it looked all fine post Katrina for an entire day, before the breaks occured.

So, if I would not feel reassured until sometime late Tuesday/Wednesday.

--

Meanwhile, overall convection is much stronger than a few hours ago...

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t1/loop-avn.html

It is also clear the storm is indeed expanding more westward. Might the centre be pulled west, and stay off the land?

Hmm, a long day ahead of all those in Louisiana.

--

**meanwhile, the Atlantic NHC map looks like a dartboard. 1 cane, 1 TS, 1 low, and 3 other invests.

Calrissian: :)

Posted

Dosn't look like a repeat of Katrina is likely if this has been downgraded to Category 2. But some significant structual damage from the wind will occur nonetheless! I think that 2nd storm should be of more concern because that is a freshly developed hurricane and I think if it takes a simular course to Gustov this one will intensify more and more as it gets closer to making landfall! :):)

Posted

**meanwhile, the Atlantic NHC map looks like a dartboard. 1 cane, 1 TS, 1 low, and 3 other invests.

Calrissian: :)

Posted
they are saying now that they think the storm will stall as it comes inland the rain that that will produce will be terrible someone on fox mentioned the rainfall could reach 2ft WOW what with the storm surge and the rainfall its going to be devastating This storm also seems to be producing a large amount of tornadoes. Poor things are getting a battering from mother nature. So who thinks those levies are going to hold?

kaz

Bit off topic as it's not net.levees :) but i think that given that NO didn't take the full hit of hurricane force winds the levees will hold, just, but there may be some overtopping, and certainly some flooding in central NO due to heavy rain.

The downside of this is that when people return to a larely intact city (a good thing) they will question why they evacuated and may not be so eager too next time (a bad thing).

There is a lot of tornado activity east of NO at the moment, if Gus is taking a shifty to the west this could be bad news.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Large squall on the northern eyewall 15-20 minutes SSE of Boudreaux and Houma parishes. Warnings of sustained winds in excess of 100 mph with higher gusts. abc26 news meteologist giving warnings to anyone still in those areas to get into central rooms of whatever buildings they're in.

Posted

Still getting closer to NO.now only 75 miles away, with hurricane winds extending 70 miles. Hurricane winds can now be expected in New Orleans.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 70 MILES

HURRICANE GUSTAV TROPICAL CYCLONE POSITION ESTIMATE

NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL072008

900 AM CDT MON SEP 01 2008

AT 9 AM CDT...1200 UTC...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE GUSTAV WAS

ESTIMATED NEAR LATITUDE 29.0 NORTH...LONGITUDE 90.5 WEST OR ABOUT

75 MILES...135 KM...SOUTH OF NEW ORLEANS LOUISIANA AND

ABOUT 15 MILES...35 KM...SOUTH-SOUTHEAST OF COCODRIE LOUISIANA.

DURING THE LAST HOUR...THE NAVAL AIR STATION AT BELLE CHASSE

LOUISIANA REPORTED A WIND GUST OF 73 MPH...117 KM/HR.

Posted

Hi all, could anyone give me the low down on the category of the storm and if it has made US landfall, if not when?

I've not picked up on this storm until today, which is bad considering I'm a massive hurricane enthusiast.

Thanks

Ryan

Posted
Hi all, could anyone give me the low down on the category of the storm and if it has made US landfall, if not when?

I've not picked up on this storm until today, which is bad considering I'm a massive hurricane enthusiast.

Thanks

Ryan

LOL You must have been asleep!

You could say it has made landfall, the eyewall has hit the coastal regions of Louisianna and is crossing the coast right now ... have a read of this thread.

Posted

From Fox news, some of the levees in the ninth ward are begining to get topped, they are also getting really concerned about the latest reports on the storm surge

Posted
DURING THE LAST HOUR...THE NAVAL AIR STATION AT BELLE CHASSE

LOUISIANA REPORTED A WIND GUST OF 73 MPH...117 KM/HR.

Our Scottish friends would call that a breezy day

All the hype really is ridculous

Posted

okay, I think this is still being underplayed a bit...

The media have been really jumping ahead too much. All this talk of 'ohh, its not too bad at all, we escaped'.

Do they not remember 3 yrs ago? It wasn't until a day after that the floods started. A DAY. I would not feel in the least bit assured until Wednesday.

--

Meanwhile, Grand Isle is mostly covered in water, the levees are being steadily over-topped, and the water levels are relentlessly increasing. Ohh, and the rains are really yet to really start in the northern sector, so there is a lot of water due to flow down into the lakes and then move south.

A VERY long day ahead.

Posted

Meanwhile, Grand Isle is mostly covered in water, the levees are being steadily over-topped, and the water levels are relentlessly increasing...

Wow how do you know so much about what is happening?

Posted
Wow how do you know so much about what is happening?

I have about 10 feeds running at the same time! ,lol

It is confusing my brain though, CNN+hurricane city+WWL+WCDU,..etc...its hurts the neurons.

---

The media seem really focused on the industrial canal, and I've seen plenty of stuff on it. The walls are 15ft high or so, and were heavily reinforced post-katrina. They look really good, but if the water level is another 2-3 ft higher, even if the levee holds, the water will just pour over and flood the area regardless.

*the convection in the SW sector Gustav is VERY impressive, and seems to be increasing with each hour.

Calrissia: the Core'2 cpu really helps !