Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

August in review

Paul

Posted

On a par with 1992 for the worst August I can remember, in some ways it was worse as 1992 actually had some sun in between the downpours while 2008 had whole strings of overcast days with intermittent rain November-style. Sunshine seemed almost confined to pre-8am and post 6pm, continuing the most depressing thing about this summer for me- the lack of clear skies during daylight hours. I have never known a summer like it for lack of blue sky; since mid-June there were only 3 or 4 predominantly sunny days and none at all in the last 3 weeks of August. (I have probably seen more sun than most around here this summer thanks to working several 6pm-6am shifts and being in bed from 8am to 3pm!)

June was OK if nothing special until the weekend 21/22 when the wind took trees down, after that (save a few warm days in late July, although most were cloudier than forecasters predicted) eternal November.

All the local golf courses are green, lush and most of the time damp, just like last year

Yes i've been on a few golf courses in August and everytime my footwear was soaking, usually the grass is much drier in August, local golfers complaining about very damp courses and the windy weather.

Dullest August since 1968 here so the worst in my lifetime, 160% rainfall too, +0.1C CET which is academic really with the awful conditions experienced, maxs were well below only mins inflated the CET.

Edited by Eugene

Posted

The very mild minima for August is no consolation for persistently below average maxima temps and endless cloudy days. The warm nights saw mostly cloudy skies so no late evening sunshine to enjoy made them a wasted affair.